Politics behind reaching out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foreverworthless

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I know it’s super early, but I was hoping to know, what is the politics behind reaching out to residents/PDs (of course after the pandemic dies down) at outside institutions in the specialty of interest? Just have a mentors/networking/advice and insight on the program? Weird? Frowned upon? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it's too weird. I've been doing it myself with a few specific programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s weird to cold contact without any kind of connection, in my opinion. Especially if you are not at the point of applying to residency (ie. preclinicals). It’s not frowned upon though unless you email to the point of annoying someone.

Reaching out to residents after you get an interview is absolutely not weird. Reaching out to alum from your school or friends of a friend happens all the time. Emailing because you don’t have a home program and need advisement is understandable.

I've been reaching out. Alot of docs have alot of extra free time on their hands because of this pandemic and more willing to reach out.

I don’t think it’s weird but it can be difficult to get responses to cold calls sometimes. I would start by asking fellow students, your speciality advisor, field clerkship director, and field PD if they have the contact info for former students who went into that field. That way you are starting from common ground from the same school and sometimes the faculty will directly link you. I found two great resident mentors that way.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been reaching out. Alot of docs have alot of extra free time on their hands because of this pandemic and more willing to reach out.
So you're just emailing PDs or something and just saying hey whats up hope to see you in October or what? :lol:

So you're just emailing PDs or something and just saying hey whats up hope to see you in October or what? :lol:
Im reaching out for research or to residents at the program that I want to attend that graduated from my med school to ask for advice.

Last edited:
So
I don’t think it’s weird but it can be difficult to get responses to cold calls sometimes. I would start by asking fellow students, your speciality advisor, field clerkship director, and field PD if they have the contact info for former students who went into that field. That way you are starting from common ground from the same school and sometimes the faculty will directly link you. I found two great resident mentors that way.
Oh, I like that! Thanks!

It’s weird to cold contact without any kind of connection, in my opinion. Especially if you are not at the point of applying to residency (ie. preclinicals). It’s not frowned upon though unless you email to the point of annoying someone.

Reaching out to residents after you get an interview is absolutely not weird. Reaching out to alum from your school or friends of a friend happens all the time. Emailing because you don’t have a home program and need advisement is understandable.
So this is more of something to do as an M3/late M2?