ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
Has anyone heard of PharmD's having careers dealing with politics? Maybe they become a lobbyist for a pharmaceutical company or a group representing pharmacists... or maybe run for some type of state office. :confused:

I'm really big into politics... it'd be nice if I could put my extra hobby to use in a seemingly unrelated field.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
Join APhA-ASP and join the political action commitee. I suppose you could be a lobbyist for the big pharma if you also went into law, maybe..........and didn't have a soul...........

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
WVUPharm2007 said:
Join APhA-ASP and join the political action commitee. I suppose you could be a lobbyist for the big pharma if you also went into law, maybe..........and didn't have a soul...........
Sounds good to me!! :oops:

About the Ads

megrxgirl

megrxgirl
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2005
alabama
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Lowell Barron was a RPh before becoming a District 8 Representative for the Senate in Alabama.

usi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2005
St Petersburg, Fl
Status
Pharmacy Student
ethyl said:
Has anyone heard of PharmD's having careers dealing with politics? Maybe they become a lobbyist for a pharmaceutical company or a group representing pharmacists... or maybe run for some type of state office. :confused:

I'm really big into politics... it'd be nice if I could put my extra hobby to use in a seemingly unrelated field.
I'll vote for you if you make the insurance companies get their formulary straight and not change it so often.
Also to simplify their practices and make the benefits easier to understand for their patients...
:rolleyes:

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
megrxgirl said:
Lowell Barron was a RPh before becoming a District 8 Representative for the Senate in Alabama.
Wow.. didn't realize there was a pharmacist senator out there. Is he the only one though?

megrxgirl

megrxgirl
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2005
alabama
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
ethyl said:
Wow.. didn't realize there was a pharmacist senator out there. Is he the only one though?
What are you trying to say????? I hope you are not putting down my wonderful state. :D

Rxbound

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2005
Arkansas
I think that I remember hearing something about a governor (or someone running for the office) in the State of Illinois who was a pharmacist....

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
Visit site
Status
Rxbound said:
I think that I remember hearing something about a governor (or someone running for the office) in the State of Illinois who was a pharmacist....

lol
lord knows the gov. now is not a rph....

wheelsonfire

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
Status
Other Health Professions Student
ethyl said:
I think we should all be more involved. If we at least VOTE and educate ourselves on the issues, we can make our voices heard. I hope more RPh's run for office. Check out this link: http://www.temple.edu/pharmacy/news_students_political.htm

Also, if you ever wonder what's on the ballot for an election in your area, you can always turn to: http://www.lwv.org//AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home

It's really not that hard to VOTE!! Just don't be intimidated or lazy. It's always important to register and vote :D .

xnc123

XNavyChick
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2005
State of Confusion
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Former Illiniois Governor George Ryan was a Pharmacist prior to getting into politics. He's on trial for taking bribes.

dudecoolname

words under my username
Nov 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Bumping this old thread lol, I also have an interest in politics and was wondering if it would be realistic for a pharmacist to run for public office. I know doctors have a pretty easy time doing so since it is such a well respected occupation, but I havent heard much about pharmacy in this regard.

About the Ads