Politics in the Admissions Committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc007

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think that politics plays any role in getting accepted to medical school?

The reason I ask this question is that I have a friend who insists that he will get into UCLA because a friend of his is on the admissions committee. However, his stats aren't that competitive (3.0 GPA and 29 MCAT and average EC's). I told him that his friend couldn't help him that much, but he begs to differ.

What do you guys think? :banana: (I just felt like putting the banana on there)

Members don't see this ad.

Politics Play A Role In Everything!!!!!!

His friend would have to have some pretty strong sway with the committee to make them overlook those stats. I know at some schools you need a majority of the committee or 2/3 or whatever. So this guy would most likely have to come up with something more than "This guy is money. Trust me." for him to get in.

Now, if he interviews with 2 people at the school and really impresses them, then he's got 2 people on his side plus the friend, so that's 3 working for him instead of just 2. I suppose if you knew multiple people on the committee and then made believers out of your interviewers as well, you could overcome some so-so stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
The admissions committee consists of several people, so one person can't lead to such a decision.

The admissions committee consists of several people, so one person can't lead to such a decision.

But what if this person has a ton of influence and could sway the opinions of others on the committee? Could this make up for subpar stats for UCLA?

But what if this person has a ton of influence and could sway the opinions of others on the committee? Could this make up for subpar stats for UCLA?

Something tells me this isn't about your "friend"...

I think the caliber of student has to be compatible with the school itself, and then maybe some sway on the adcomms can guarantee an interview. Acceptance decisions though, especially about a sub-par applicant, may be tougher to influence.

Something tells me this isn't about your "friend"...

I promise this is not about me. I didn't even apply to UCLA. If it were about me I would come out and say it. I got no shame, it's not like anybody knows who I am.

I just hate political stuff and it annoys me he brings this up all the time.

often times, if the committee member has close ties to the applicant, he or she will leave the room when the rest of the committee decides on the applicant. This, of course, if the most ethical way to handle such situations. Ultimately, it's important to keep in mind that there are many members on the admissions committee so it's hard for one person to hold too much sway, and the medical schools are making investments in these future medical students so it's certainly not in their interest to accept students who are poor fits/will have a low chance for success.

My adcom definitely takes an active effort to keep personal contacts out of the process. I could see an advantage only if you knew the dean; even then, unlikely.

I agree with everyone. And, think of it this way to: this is the school's investment. If the student doesn't match the overall profile of the school (stat-wise) they're not going to take a chance. Waste money on a student that will eventually increase the attrition rate? I think not.