politics of 3rd year transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kris

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone!

I'm probably going to apply for a 3rd year transfer (I'm in year 1 right now), and I was wondering if there was anyone here who has done this. If so, or if you're just 'in the know' about these kinds of things, I'd like to hear what you have to say about the politics of a move like this.

Do I talk to the administration at my school very openly about it, or do I talk mainly with the administration/faculty at the school I'd like to transfer to? Are there political pitfalls I should avoid? Is there someone safe to approach with these questions?

I have all the right reasons/circumstances for making a move like this, so my question is strictly about the possible politics involved.

Thanks,
--kris

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school you're attending and your motives. If your school administration is generally supportive of students talk to your Dean of Student Affairs. Transferring is very difficult. AMSA'a New Physician Magazine did an article about it in 1999/2000. I think in that period only 5-6 students transferred. One was the President of AMSA and he had made some pretty important contacts at the school he transferred to. A lot of schools either don't accept transfers or they only accept transfers if you are married to a current medical student, resident, or faculty member at their institution. Your Dean will have a book that has the transfer policy at every Medical School in the country. If that doesn't work out you can always do visiting clerkships during your 4th year. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, tonem.

My husband is on faculty at the university and I would get tuition remission as his spouse.

While I *really* like my school, I just can't turn my back on the opportunity to live with my husband and get med school paid for!

It's too bad, but you made it pretty clear that I'm unlikely to run across folks who have gone this route who might be able to give me some sage advice.

I'll just play it safe and I'll also track down that article you mentioned. :)

--kris

kris,

my roommate, a med-1, is trying to transfer for next year (med-2 year). Though she was told it's exceedingly difficult, the particular school she's trying to get into has been extremely open and accommodating...at least so far. She had her interview this week, and she hasn't gotten back yet so I don't know what type of 'vibe' and other info regarding the process she may have gotten from the interview itself. My advice to you is, first and foremost, to contact the school you want to go to and talk to the transfer admissions coordinator or admissions director and find out specifically:
1. how often the school accepts transfers,
2. what conditions merit acceptance of a transfer,
3. when the school will allow you to transfer (any time, only 3rd year, etc.),
4. what documentation you need to apply (marriage certificate, transcript, dean's letter, etc.),
5. when you need to initiate an application (you might be surprised at how early they want you to start working on it)
6. be persistent (but not annoyingly so) to prove your interest and determination to attend your husband's school. avoid mentioning the free tuition thing! :)

When my roomie gets back, I'll try to find out how it went and how the transfer process works (and if it remains a good possibility for her or if they told her to reapply next year instead).

smurfette