Politics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is kind of an unusual question, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway. I've noticed that several current Senators in our government have medical degrees. I assume that they developed this interest in politics after med school and didn't go to med school for this specific reason, but how do you think having an MD degree influneces one to pursure a political career. I love medicine, but I also have an interest in politics and can imagine doing something like this in the future. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

BrettBatchelor said:
I think the MD adds a trust factor, such that you aren't stereotyped into the sleazy politician.

On the other hand though, just because you have an MD doesn't mean you aren't a sleazy politician.

Members don't see this ad :)
bbas said:
This is kind of an unusual question, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway. I've noticed that several current Senators in our government have medical degrees. I assume that they developed this interest in politics after med school and didn't go to med school for this specific reason, but how do you think having an MD degree influneces one to pursure a political career. I love medicine, but I also have an interest in politics and can imagine doing something like this in the future. Any thoughts?

There are a few MD politicos, but frankly other fields produce far more politicians - you may just be focusing in on the few. The largest profession feeding into politics is law, by easilly a factor of ten. Next biggest group by percentage is probably business types. There are also quite a few actors turned politicians, lots of salesmen turned candidates and so on. Medicine is actually pretty low on the list represented. However the things that an MD has that makes it a decent launch pad for politics (in addition to the trust suggested by a prior poster) is (1) objectively demonstrated smarts, and (2) many friends and colleages with decent salaries who can make campaign contributions.

Law2Doc said:
There are a few MD politicos, but frankly other fields produce far more politicians - you may just be focusing in on the few. The largest profession feeding into politics is law, by easilly a factor of ten. Next biggest group by percentage is probably business types. There are also quite a few actors turned politicians, lots of salesmen turned candidates and so on. Medicine is actually pretty low on the list represented. However the things that an MD has that makes it a decent launch pad for politics (in addition to the trust suggested by a prior poster) is (1) objectively demonstrated smarts, and (2) many friends and colleages with decent salaries who can make campaign contributions.

Good points. I realize that there a probably just a few with medical backgrounds, but it just surprised me that there were any at all. I would think that anyone wishing to go into politics would choose either law or business, as you suggested. I have noticed thoughthat among the Senators I was referring to, much of their time and legislation seemes to be directly related to health related issues, so I guess this is not much different than being involved in health policy at the federal level.

BaylorGuy said:
On the other hand though, just because you have an MD doesn't mean you aren't a sleazy politician.

Speaking of sleazy Bill Frist interned for a Congressman in Tennesse (summer before college) and the Congressman told him to develop another career before going into politics. Plus his father was a physician and so is his brother.

CTSballer11 said:
Speaking of sleazy Bill Frist interned for a Congressman in Tennesse (summer before college) and the Congressman told him to develop another career before going into politics. Plus his father was a physician and so is his brother.

Wow. If his intent was to eventually go into politics that early, he sure picked the longest route to get there. I'm not saying that because he chose to go to med school, but rather because he chose not only to do a surgical residency, but two fellowships for cardiothoracic surgery and I think heart transplantation surgery. If I'm not mistaken, I think Frist actually incorporated his MD degree into his campaign slogan. I forget the exact wording, but basically he emphasized the fact that while he was healing the people of Tennessee, his opponent was wasting there money.

CTSballer11 said:

Not to mention the millions of dollars of shares of HCA that happened to be sold about 1-2 weeks before its huge plunge in the stock market. It makes you wonder a bit

deuist said:
Now you know why the American legal code is so obfuscated---lawyers write the laws.

Lawyers write the laws in every country I am aware of, not just america. And it's not really a bad thing. This adds a level of complexity, but also a certain measure of precision, because lawyers always have an eye open to downsides and potential loopholes and seek to close them as they go. Other professions are not nearly as sensitive to such on the fly troubleshooting. Laws would be far more subject to abuse (esp. by the wealthy) if non-lawyers wrote them while lawyers got to help their clients interpret them. (That tends to be why Steve Forbes and other uber wealthy tend to get so excited whenever there is talk of "simplifying" the tax code, etc. It really tends to benefit those who are inhibited by more all-encompassing laws.)

doc status might help a little with paying campaign bills, like ross perot but on a smaller scale, at least at the lower levels like city council or mayor or who knows what.
BaylorGuy said:
Not to mention the millions of dollars of shares of HCA that happened to be sold about 1-2 weeks before its huge plunge in the stock market. It makes you wonder a bit
its all about getting and acting on insider info, and avoiding getting nailed for it. poor martha...or should i say silly. youre right though...it does make you wonder how much sleight of hand goes on behind the scenes, in business and in politics. conspiracy theories! :smuggrin:

The only Senator to my knowledge who has an M.D. degree is Bill Frist....anyway his family is the largest private owner of hospitals in the United States (HCA helathcare).

senator coburn (Rep, OK) on the judiciary committee is an M.D.

family medicine methinks.