chibihamsta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2002
82
0
CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As FP applicants, we probably don't need to worry about this as much but still.. I wanted to know from others applying this year/having recently applied:

1. How many audition rotations are you doing, if at all?
2. How many programs are you applying to?
3. If you already applied, how successful were you in getting one of your top 2 choices?

The geographic area you are considering, whether you are a US vs IMG student, & which programs you are strongly considering would also be helpful to include.

Thanks :thumbup:
-chibi
 

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2003
2,778
5
Waco, TX
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That's right--we should get to talk about this stuff too, even if people think all we need is a pulse to get a residency spot...:rolleyes:

I'm applying to ~10 programs, but will likely only go on about 5-6 interviews.

I'm doing two audition rotations, one is 2 weeks FP/2 weeks OB (this will probably be my top choice site) and the other is EM--I was going to do FM at that program, but it is unopposed, so I will still get to go to noon conferences and morning report with everyone, I just will be on EM service (and take care of one of my required rotations in the process).
 

George85

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2006
123
1
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
If you are a US grad, and have passed step 1 the first time then you will match to your first choice. If you don't it's because there was something that really was a red light.
 

dulceleche

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
31
0
Status
Non-Student
chibihamsta said:
As FP applicants, we probably don't need to worry about this as much but still.. I wanted to know from others applying this year/having recently applied:

1. How many audition rotations are you doing, if at all?
2. How many programs are you applying to?
3. If you already applied, how successful were you in getting one of your top 2 choices?

The geographic area you are considering, whether you are a US vs IMG student, & which programs you are strongly considering would also be helpful to include.

Thanks :thumbup:
-chibi
I did not do any audition rotations. You should apply to about 5-6 programs.
I'm a US grad. I think that FP focuses on one's character and dedication to FP. No program wants to have someone drop out after the first year to go to another specialty. I think the South is a good place to do FP. I am working near my hometown. I get along well with the residency director which means alot to me. I wanted to go to a program in which the director was interested in the well-being of the residents and advocated for the residents. You also have to get a sense of the type of residents are in the program. Would you fit in? Would you want to work with the residents in the program? What is the emphasis of the program? Where do the graduates work? How many do fellowships? I'm sure you can think of other questions. I wish you the best.

dulce
 

Margaritaville

Wastin' away again...
10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
93
0
Status
Post Doc
George85 said:
If you are a US grad, and have passed step 1 the first time then you will match to your first choice. If you don't it's because there was something that really was a red light.
I guess that's what landed you in that "sub-par" residency of yours, eh? :laugh:
 

George85

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2006
123
1
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
Margaritaville said:
I guess that's what landed you in that "sub-par" residency of yours, eh? :laugh:
You're right - I just regret working so hard to get good MCAT and board scores when I could have kicked back, gone to an off-shore school, barely passed the boards, and still be where I am now. And believe me "sub-par" doesn't even come close - although, I have friends in other programs who are just as frustrated.
 
OP
chibihamsta

chibihamsta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2002
82
0
CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It would be helpful if those applying this year were alerted to the "sub-par" programs that are repeatedly being referred to. :rolleyes:

I’m afraid of getting my #1 rank spot and finding out it’s not a good program as a resident. :confused:

I plan to do as many away rotations as possible: three FM sub I’s and one ER rotation. Sacrificing half of my 4th year does not seem like much to choose the best training for a life-long practice. Right now I am considering about 12 programs and will probably cut it down to around 8 or so.

dulce: did you get an accurate sense of your program just based on the interview and the information the program provided you?
 

dulceleche

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
31
0
Status
Non-Student
chibihamsta said:
It would be helpful if those applying this year were alerted to the "sub-par" programs that are repeatedly being referred to. :rolleyes:

I’m afraid of getting my #1 rank spot and finding out it’s not a good program as a resident. :confused:

I plan to do as many away rotations as possible: three FM sub I’s and one ER rotation. Sacrificing half of my 4th year does not seem like much to choose the best training for a life-long practice. Right now I am considering about 12 programs and will probably cut it down to around 8 or so.

dulce: did you get an accurate sense of your program just based on the interview and the information the program provided you?
Chibi,

I am from this area where my program is located. I also was courted by the residency director who took a great interest in me and kept up with my progress until I was accepted. I think that I did have an inside advantage though. The director and I graduated from the same medical school. I don't know if it helped or not. I think you should do your audition rotations and get a feel about whether or not you will be happy in that program. You will get a sense about how the program treats their residents and if you think you would fit in with the others. Like I said, I wanted to go to a program where I felt that I could go to the director for any problem and not be reprimanded. I have heard horror stories about other progam directors making the residents' lives as miserable as possible if some problem arose. You have to do some digging. If you are a star and think you can excel at any program, then you should not have any problems. I think for the rest of us, we have problems and when we need help it's nice to have a director that we can confide in and work out our problems whether it is personal or work-related. I am not a star but I do my best to do my work.

I wish you the very best!

dulce
 
OP
chibihamsta

chibihamsta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2002
82
0
CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for sharing your experience, dulce.

I will definitely consider how supportive my residency program director is in my criteria.
 

erichaj

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2003
756
0
Visit site
Status
About 10 years ago in NYC anesthesiologist and radiologist were pumping gas because they could not find a job. At that time the residency programs could not find a candidate. So, fmg's filled the spots. Now those same fmg's are TRAINING the US grads in these programs because now they are attendings.

The same thing is happening un FP.