Poll: Average MCAT score of SDN members

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your MCAT score?

• <25

Votes: 10 2.2%

Votes: 12 2.6%

Votes: 12 2.6%

Votes: 21 4.6%

Votes: 20 4.4%

Votes: 36 7.9%

Votes: 29 6.3%

Votes: 53 11.6%

Votes: 37 8.1%

Votes: 46 10.0%

Votes: 36 7.9%

Votes: 37 8.1%

Votes: 22 4.8%

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • >= 39

Votes: 72 15.7%

• Total voters
G

gmcguitar4

Just interested in seeing the average MCAT for people on SDN applying this cycle/next couple of cycles that have taken their MCAT. I have heard multiple people say not to be discouraged by other peoples statistics on this site because it is above the average. I think this is true, but why not poll it?

Comparing to 2010 on this table

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like 2002 had the least competition (by looking at total applicants vs accepted). Should have applied 9 years ago :D

Keeping in mind that many people are going to vote despite having never taken the actual test, this is probably a poor indicator of the average SDN MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keeping in mind that many people are going to vote despite having never taken the actual test, this is probably a poor indicator of the average SDN MCAT score.

Hey fellow rugger! What position do you play?

I scored a 37T and am quite happy about that score :)

There is going to be significant self-selection bias in this poll but it will be interesting to see the results nonetheless.

Only 1 in 25 about scores a 35 or greater. This poll will not show that for two reasons IMO. First the population he is largely self selected as people that care enough about this to seek out additional information, and those types tend to prepare better for the MCAT. Also, those with high scores will have a tendency to pat themselves on the back and the lower scores will probably opt to avoid thinking about their score.

I would be surprised to see the votes here actually match the actual distribution.

Wow, lots of smart people.... 39+.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha this distribution is pretty much Gaussian, but then 20% of people are saying they have a score of 39+. I think there is some dishonesty here...oh well I told the truth.

I figured it would be flawed b/c people would just put 39+ for fun. Lets try to keep it honest! don't f up ma poll

Hey I was honest!

Just out of curiosity, when people say 30+, is 30 included, because I was too afraid to post tips in the tips for 30+ thread out of shame :(

As mentioned, most people either lied or have never taken the test before.

I haven't taken it, but didn't vote either :D

My five year old cousin just signed up for SDN to vote here. She selected 39+ :)

41 people scored higher than a 39? Suuuuure, they did. :laugh:

Well, by leaving 39+ as an option, you exacerbated the problem. Say the poll had broken it down by 39, 40, 41 . . . 45. You might have very few people at the high ranges, sure, but it wouldn't bias the distribution by having 1 point bins followed by a 7 point bin.

Also, the people f-ing with the poll would be more likely to pick 45, not 39-44, and any more than 1 or 2 votes in the 45 bin we could safely discard as BS.

Maybe people are considering scores from ALL administrations, e.g. 25 + 25 = 50 = 39+ :laugh:

Maybe people are considering scores from ALL administrations, e.g. 25 + 25 = 50 = 39+ :laugh:

Or they're taking their highest section scores from different administrations and lumping them into a higher composite score, a method I've heard that a small number of schools use.

I told the truth!

Definitely agree with what someone above me said, break it down by 1 point intervals. It will make it easier to spot BS

haha this is absurdly biased. of course the high scorers will vote

If you really want to know, I would gather data from the first 50 MDApps profiles you find on the preallo thread. Then share :D

I understand the poll might be biased/skewed, making it public will just make it worse. With enough votes you can still get a good distribution even if people want f with ma poll. Stop f'n up ma poll yo.

Here is an excel sheet of the first 20 MDApps profiles I came across. These were all posters on the first page of the preallo forum, so that my introduce some selection bias. Please add to it and reupload it to increase n.

Alex

Attachments

• sdn stats.xls
    24.5 KB · Views: 96
Here is an excel sheet of the first 20 MDApps profiles I came across. These were all posters on the first page of the preallo forum, so that my introduce some selection bias. Please add to it and reupload it to increase n.

Alex

If they posted on SDN within the last day they probably saw this and voted already. But, how would I do that anyway? It is my first poll so I don't know how to mess with it or change stuff.

Too many confounders man. We should get some stratification or minimization going to avoid it :p

I included the >39 selection to help filter out
People that would mess up the poll. Distribution looks pretty good when not considering those numbers. I was more interested in the 28-36 range.

People that would mess up the poll. Distribution looks pretty good when not considering those numbers. I was more interested in the 28-36 range.
A smart move indeed.

but i have a 37 :(
i am the 3%

Agreed. I know of only 3 people on this site who scored a 39+, only one of whom is applying this cycle.

Consider that there are ~650 per year who score 39+. It's not that hard for me to believe that more than 60 people who scored 39+ in the past two years are posting on this board.

LOL @ SDN voters equaling random sample of med school applicants whose MCAT scores follow normal distribution

Just interested in seeing the average MCAT for people on SDN applying this cycle/next couple of cycles that have taken their MCAT. I have heard multiple people say not to be discouraged by other peoples statistics on this site because it is above the average. I think this is true, but why not poll it?

Comparing to 2010 on this table

i got 46u in my mcat, and got into every med school i applied...