Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Poll: CWRU vs OSU, which one would you choose and why?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Resident Alien, May 29, 2002.

1. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

Which school would you choose? Adding your comments would help immensely!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey, I take it since you are making this poll that you got accepted off the waitlist at Case. Congratulations!

I interviewed at Case and was accepted and then promptly declined. Even though, I declined, I simply love the school. The students are awesome and non-competetive and so friendly. The facilities were great, I just liked the overall atmosphere. The reason I chose to go to UC was #1) loved UC even more, 2) cost, 3) didn't like Cleveland too much.

Although I was offered an interview at OSU, I cancelled it because I had been accepted to UC and had just heard so many negative things about their program. The most prevalent comment was about the three different pathways and the segregation and animosity it created between each other.

So, I would think your decision would hinge on financial aid offers of the two schools and the location of your family. If you got a better deal from Case, then take it. I think Case is the better school, but believe OSU is not far behind. Good luck with your decision!

4. NineSixteen

NineSixteen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Case in a heartbeat. Reasons:

1) I'm a Wolverine. OSU=bad.

Okay, now for the real reason:

2) I loved Case when I interviewed there. If I had known for sure that this partnership between Case and The Cleveland Clinic were going through when I was making my decision, I probably would be there next year. Students are amazing, faculty seemed great, and now you'll get to do rotations at CC (You could before, but now I think it will happen more often). I think it's an amazing school and will only move up in ranking and reputation now. If those things are at all important to you, choose Case.

Downfall: Expensive tuition. I don't quite understand why it's so high, but it is.

5. I can't think of a name

I can't think of a name Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was accepted to both schools, and while I thought both were great, I would choose CWRU over OSU IF money is not an issue. It is a huge issue for me, but it may or may not factor into your decision. Anyhow, disregarding money, I thought both schools had a great student body and would give excellent educations, but I liked CWRU better because of its rather innovative programs (following the patient around for a year, electives, etc) and I think clinical exposure would be better at CWRU.

6. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

WSU,
    Yes I did get accepted to Case.

Should money be a matter? (seriously). I have zero undergrad debt right now, but I plan to take out loans for med school. The difference would be $80,000 (over 4 years)between the two schools, i figure. I live in Cleveland. :)

I also heard that osu is changing to a systems-based surriculum, with some pbl in the lecture pathway, and a seniors program where you meet with a senior citizen through your 4 years.Plus, chances are I'll get into their pbl pathway (im #4 on men's waitlist)
    If i remember right, is OSU graded H/Commendation/S/U?

Needless to say, its not becoming an easy decision. I havent heard from Case finaid yet, so i dont know about that situation clearly.

I'd appreciate more comments! And thank you all for your time!

7. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

8. quaileggs

quaileggs Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

ResidentAlien..
    Oh without a doubt, OSU is much, MUCH better! (wink wink)

9. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ResidentAlien,
    Sent you a PM.

10. paean

paean Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I made the same decision in April. I choose Case, but it wasn't entirely easy. My choice was based on 1. cost 2. clinical exposure 3. curriculum 4. students and overall atmosphere. I got a scholarship, making Case cheaper, although without it I was leaning that way. The early clinical exposure at Case is great, but not everyone gets their pregnant teen or geriatric patient as soon as they want them. I prefered OSU's PBL pathway, but Case's curriculum to OSU's two pathways. The students were great, people friendly, and the atmosphere non-competitive in both places. Overall location, I prefered Columbus slightly, but you may not. By the time you pay it off (assuming you don't pay off interest before it capitalizes) the 80K difference will blossom into a 240K difference. So it is significant. I think you need to have a strong feeling to pay that much more for a school.

11. Dave409

Dave409 Junior Member

Hey gang. I just got into OSU today, and I'm still waitlisted at CWRU. I was thinking that I would like to Ohio State becuase I'm already in the PBL pathway and I think it's closer to how I learn best. Thus, I think it will give me better boards, which will get me a good residency anyway. Plus, I will be able to do more on my own. The CWRU curriculum is 8-1 pm each day I think. I don't do so well at early morning lectures, so that's why I would like to do that. Also, they have the affiliation with the cleveland clinic as well, where you can do all your 3rd and 4th years at the Cleveland Clinic if you choose. I am from cleveland and I am considering that, but I guess I will wait and see.

Another friend of mine is in the anesthes. assistant program at Case. she said the students seem nice but extremely into their studies and not the most socially active. I'm sure this is true for all med schools, but I just don't want studying to be my whole life for the next 4 years. Case also has a lot of international students and nontrads so they may be extremely motivated and not as interested in social relationships.

I'm not dogging Case at all. We all know it's excellent. I'm just not convinced that it's $80,000 better than OSU. Good luck with your decision. This same question has run through my mind all day!

12. time quaker

time quaker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident Alien,
    Were you accepted to Case off the waitlist? If so, when did you hear from them?

13. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

WSUreds and time quaker, I replied your pm's. :)

14. atsai3

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Resident Alien:

I would say it comes down to money and quality of life.

You will get a fine education at both schools. Some might vote for CWRU on account of reputational effects, but the boundaries are very fuzzy when comparing two schools of similar caliber. When it comes down to it, it's not where you go but what you do (where you go) that matters. (OSU probably has a much stronger and more cohesive alumni network, if that's of any consideration.)

The partnership with the Cleveland Clinic can only help CWRU SOM in terms of boosting its national presence. As of right now, only certain 3rd year clerkships can be completed at the Cleveland Clinic: ob-gyn, neurology, family medicine, and surgery. Rumor has it that the other clerkships are not far behind, but that is just unsubstantiated rumor.

Cheers
    -a.

15. Dylann FMD

Dylann FMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Case, cuz its the best! Ok, its where I am going, so I think VERY highly of it. None of you better be bad-mouthing it!

16. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

17. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Right back at you, Resident!

18. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

shameless bump

19. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

yet another shameless bump. I have 48 hours to decide :)

20. seaturtle112

seaturtle112 Member
    7+ Year Member

Ohio State. You'll get a great education, and save a load of money. seriously. Columbus is a nice place for school. good luck with your decision! keep us updated! :)