Poll for all medical students please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you cheat on an online exam that counts >40% if you could take it at home?

• Yes; I would cheat on an online exam counting >40%.

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • No; I would not cheat at all on an online exam counting >40%.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I wouldn't cheat; but I feel many others would definitely cheat

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • I would cheat; and feel others would cheat as well

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Online exams in medical school is a horrible idea.

Votes: 28 45.9%
  • Online exams in medical school is a great idea.

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters

doctorTT

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you would cheat on exams if allowed to take them online from your homes on your "Honor". These exams would count anywhere from 40-80% of your course grade. see the poll i posted and take note that you can answer more than one option. (in this case cheating includes looking at your class notes or text book during a take-home online exam given the professor prohibited the use of those materials?)

Members don't see this ad.

doctorTT said:
I was wondering how many of you would cheat on exams if allowed to take them online from your homes on your "Honor". These exams would count anywhere from 40-80% of your course grade.

If someone was so dishonest that they would cheat on an exam, why would you expect them to be honest in your poll? :confused:

yes, it's anonomous voting and you don't go to my school so answering honestly will not affect you.

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad and many others have an honor system, it worked fine. Needs to be in policy and part of the culture though.

My undergrad and many others have an honor system, it worked fine. Needs to be in policy and part of the culture though.

Alexander Pink said:

thanks for your note, Dr. Pink.
I was wondering if the classes that evoked the honor code in your undergrad institution used a curve in grading. It is my own opinion that those who cheat only cheat themselves, except when course grades are curved (in that case the non-cheaters are hurt). Also, did your undergrad institution offer online exams or take home exams with rules not to use notes, books, friends etc. ?
How does a school develop such a culture? do you think obtaining such a trusting culture is feasible/likely at a medical school?

everyone please feel free to comment.

It's interesting that I'm the only one who put that online exams are a great idea. I was assuming that you meant exams done on a computer, even proctored and at the school. In that case, they're great practice for the boards. Our school is trying to move in that direction and I'm happy about it. Not all in our school are, but people seem to get upset at the smallest things.

Online exams are a great idea if they're secure (i.e., configured so that cheating is virtually impossible).

doctorTT said:
thanks for your note, Dr. Pink.
I was wondering if the classes that evoked the honor code in your undergrad institution used a curve in grading. It is my own opinion that those who cheat only cheat themselves, except when course grades are curved (in that case the non-cheaters are hurt). Also, did your undergrad institution offer online exams or take home exams with rules not to use notes, books, friends etc. ?
How does a school develop such a culture? do you think obtaining such a trusting culture is feasible/likely at a medical school?

everyone please feel free to comment.

we didn't have online exams but we had take home exams yes. Just look up the honor code/system at Rice, Princeton, Stanford, etc. to model one after it. Some classes were curved some weren't depends. Some exams were scheduled but unproctored by profs. Yes such a culture is likely and should be encouraged in medical school. We are future professionals who will be trusted with peoples lives without oversight, i find it absurd that we can't be trusted on a test.