Poll for DO students or graduates; did you.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you......

• Apply to MD & DO programs but only got into DO programs?

Votes: 41 43.6%
  • Apply to DO programs only?

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • Apply to MD & DO programs & was accepted to both, but chose the DO program?

Votes: 24 25.5%

• Total voters
why is the most vocal person in this discussion a PRE MED when the OP asked for the opinions of DO STUDENTS or GRADUATES? And why is everyone listening and responding to this person's opinion as if they knew what they were talking about?

Members don't see this ad.

Multitudes of AZCOM grads are going ACGME for GME. These programs are just too organized and loaded with clinical exposure to be passed up. AOA leadership will change in the ensuing years when the zelous blowhards retire and make way for the less provincial youngsters. Proclaiming 2004 "the year of the mentor" shows that the AOA is smoke-screening the current status of its GME. How about "the year of research" or "the year of gradual medical education improvement." SOMETHING to show that they are actually thinking about their GRADS rather than focusing on attracting more donations to have more meetings on how to get more donations.

The amount of US MD/DO grads persuing FP is dwindling as justified fear for the field's longevity spreads. These schools know that the majority of their applicants won't be going for family. This, in theory, should be placing pressure square on the shoulders of the AOA to switch its current focus on creating the good old family doc. How about focusing on creating the power house clinical physician? Sounds good to me. Primary care doesn't only consist of FP. Apparently an abstruse concept for the AOA leadership. In addition, these folks should be forming alliances where possible for specialty fields to open doors for those grads who have worked hard to become strong applicants.

Maybe I'd consider becoming involved if the heads of the governing DO body were replaced with progressive thinkers. Until then I'm grateful for the ACGME opportunities available in the field I have chosen. I think there were tons of opportunities provided to me with this degree. Good and bad, the ride has been acceptably smooth . I've been well trained clinically...albeit mostly at allopathic institutions (my choice).

Back to researching Ibiza. Seacrest out

Vent

:D

dont'cha jus luv it... :love:

when the worlds got ya down :mad: turn your frown upside down :cool: now your smokin wee-ah... i mean drivin with style... just dont let everyone know your sob story +pity+ or that you're actually a raving lunatic about rede to cut someones heart out with a spoon +pissed+

hmm yea that about sums up my reply to "sophiejane" in a mental stance at the same level in which she just refered to me in the loverly third person. have a great life.... :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
cooldreams,

I understand there are a few differences between MDs & DOs, but exactly like you said theses are "fringe" differences & not major differences. If the differences are that small, does it warrant a completely differernt degree? If these differences are so few, they could potentially be incorporated as electives in allopathic programs for those who want the extra training, or perhaps even make it a specialty for post graduate training for those who exclusively would like to practice OMT.

daveyboy,

I see your point and agree it would be disrespectful to the current DOs if the degree were to be eliminated; and like you, I have equal respect for DOs as I do MDs in the workplace. However, if DOs & MDs were to all do the same jobs, then the standards for admission & graduation from both of these programs should be standardized so there are no discrepencies in what both learn. But that's just my personal opinion.

sophiejane,

It sounds like perhaps you would like to contribute to this discussion; care to shed some light & share? Like you said, everyone in this discussion is just expressing their opinion, premed or not; everyone has that right. We can potentially learn something from them and from everyone else.

Cheers,
-ribs

Originally posted by VentdependenT
Multitudes of AZCOM grads are going ACGME for GME. These programs are just too organized and loaded with clinical exposure to be passed up. AOA leadership will change in the ensuing years when the zelous blowhards retire and make way for the less provincial youngsters. Proclaiming 2004 "the year of the mentor" shows that the AOA is smoke-screening the current status of its GME. How about "the year of research" or "the year of gradual medical education improvement." SOMETHING to show that they are actually thinking about their GRADS rather than focusing on attracting more donations to have more meetings on how to get more donations.

The amount of US MD/DO grads persuing FP is dwindling as justified fear for the field's longevity spreads. These schools know that the majority of their applicants won't be going for family. This, in theory, should be placing pressure square on the shoulders of the AOA to switch its current focus on creating the good old family doc. How about focusing on creating the power house clinical physician? Sounds good to me. Primary care doesn't only consist of FP. Apparently an abstruse concept for the AOA leadership. In addition, these folks should be forming alliances where possible for specialty fields to open doors for those grads who have worked hard to become strong applicants.

Maybe I'd consider becoming involved if the heads of the governing DO body were replaced with progressive thinkers. Until then I'm grateful for the ACGME opportunities available in the field I have chosen. I think there were tons of opportunities provided to me with this degree. Good and bad, the ride has been acceptably smooth . I've been well trained clinically...albeit mostly at allopathic institutions (my choice).

Back to researching Ibiza. Seacrest out

Vent

dood... you convinced me.. i gotta run for aoa office!!! sweeeet! :clap:

Originally posted by ribsandbbqbeef
cooldreams,

I understand there are a few differences between MDs & DOs, but exactly like you said theses are "fringe" differences & not major differences. If the differences are that small, does it warrant a completely differernt degree? If these differences are so few, they could potentially be incorporated as electives in allopathic programs for those who want the extra training, or perhaps even make it a specialty for post graduate training for those who exclusively would like to practice OMT.

daveyboy,

I see your point and agree it would be disrespectful to the current DOs if the degree were to be eliminated; and like you, I have equal respect for DOs as I do MDs in the workplace. However, if DOs & MDs were to all do the same jobs, then the standards for admission & graduation from both of these programs should be standardized so there are no discrepencies in what both learn. But that's just my personal opinion.

sophiejane,

It sounds like perhaps you would like to contribute to this discussion; care to shed some light & share? Like you said, everyone in this discussion is just expressing their opinion, premed or not; everyone has that right. We can potentially learn something from them and from everyone else.

Cheers,
-ribs

i guess to me the fringe differences were enough to inspire a DO choice. i like to explore areas of medicine that may not nessesarily be an accepted mainstream philosophy, and i felt that DO's tend to be more accepting of such a thing, especially in light of omm...

i guess it would be kinda like a store that you go to all the time... their way for serving up a hamburger is just enough better than this other place ... they both do a hamburger... but maybe this one appeals to you more for whatever reason...

VentdependenT: nicely put! :thumbup:

cooldreams: point taken & fair enough. I respect your opinion. :)