Poll: How many times did you apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poll: How many times did you apply M.D. before getting accepted M.D.?

Votes: 104 83.9%

Votes: 15 12.1%

Votes: 2 1.6%

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 5+

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ntsystematic

Get off my bacterial lawn
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Poll: How many times did you apply to U.S. allopathic medical schools before getting accepted to any U.S. allopathic medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Only once thank god! I slacked all of senior year and tanked my gpa. Haha! I know I'm terrible.

Only once, and it was only going to be once.

If I hadn't gotten in then I wasn't going to be getting an MD in this lifetime.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only once, and it was only going to be once.

If I hadn't gotten in then I wasn't going to be getting an MD in this lifetime.

Just curious, did you get any "What will you do if you don't get in this year?" questions? If so, how did you answer them?

Just curious, did you get any "What will you do if you don't get in this year?" questions? If so, how did you answer them?

Yup at 3/4 interviews and I told them - I wouldn't reapply.

I had been considering NP or PA only a year ago anyway (right before I bit the bullet and decided to take the MCAT - this fact has usually already come up when asked "Why MD") and if 20 schools had turned me down at a point in my life when I felt my application was as strong as it could be then I would have taken their word for it that I wasn't meant to be a doctor and gone to do NP or PA instead. I don't have the time, money or energy to do the application process again and I believe I could do almost as much good as an PA or NP as I could as an MD and I'd rather not wait another year to start doing it.

It went over really well at every interview I went to and I was accepted at 3/3 that it came up at. I don't believe the only good answer is "reapply" and since that simply wasn't true for me there was no way I was going to claim it was.

Yup at 3/4 interviews and I told them - I wouldn't reapply.

I had been considering NP or PA only a year ago anyway (right before I bit the bullet and decided to take the MCAT - this fact has usually already come up when asked "Why MD") and if 20 schools had turned me down at a point in my life when I felt my application was as strong as it could be then I would have taken their word for it that I wasn't meant to be a doctor and gone to do NP or PA instead. I don't have the time, money or energy to do the application process again and I believe I could do almost as much good as an PA or NP as I could as an MD and I'd rather not wait another year to start doing it.

It went over really well at every interview I went to and I was accepted at 3/3 that it came up at. I don't believe the only good answer is "reapply" and since that simply wasn't true for me there was no way I was going to claim it was.

Damn, definitely ballsey, but much respect for tellin the truth.

Damn.... Nice answer. Deeeeeep

Honestly, until I talked to one of my MCAT students last year it NEVER occurred to me that anyone would go through this bull**** more than once.

And when I asked her "what would you do if you didn't get in" expecting some back up career and she said "apply again" it took every ounce of strength I had for my jaw not to drop to the floor.

I have mad respect for those of you who want this enough to do it more than once.

More important question:

Did any of you put on an amused face and say, "Why wouldn't I get in?"

More important question:

Did any of you put on an amused face and say, "Why wouldn't I get in?"

how about

Interviewer: So this is your 13th interview?

Me: Nope. Second.

Interview: So you have a bunch scheduled after this one?

Me: nope.

really long awkward silence...

:laugh:

how about

Interviewer: So this is your 13th interview?

Me: Nope. Second.

Interview: So you have a bunch scheduled after this one?

Me: nope.

really long awkward silence...

:laugh:

Sweet! How did the interviewer pick "13th"? Wrong file? Random guess?

Sweet! How did the interviewer pick "13th"? Wrong file? Random guess?

well it was a closed file interview, so probably my fine suit and crotch bulge :smuggrin:

When I started school, there was a guy who had supposedly applied and been rejected nine times before being accepted on try #10.

I wonder what the record is?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I started school, there was a guy who had supposedly applied and been rejected nine times before being accepted on try #10.

why would a school accept someone like that? talk about red flags...

edit// I know there's a 50 cent "I got shot nine times!" joke in there somewhere....

why would a school accept someone like that? talk about red flags...

edit// I know there's a 50 cent "I got shot nine times!" joke in there somewhere....

You got me. He had a really hard time. I'm graduating this year, and he's currently still working on MSII year after taking a year off for unspecified reasons.

You got me. He had a really hard time. I'm graduating this year, and he's currently still working on MSII year after taking a year off for unspecified reasons.

was he Phil Spector?

77851797.jpg

because that would explain a lot.

I thought I would never apply again, but after being rejected sans interview at every MD school last year, I had a realization. I am not the type of person to give up after one shot, so why should med school be any different? I reapplied this year, and also applied to DO schools. Granted, I still don't have any MD acceptances, but I was accepted to something like 6 or 7 DO schools. I am still waiting on one MD decision though, hopefully good news might be coming my way soon because this school has always been my top choice, from the time I decided I wanted to do medicine. If not, I'll be happy at NYCOM, the DO school I chose. But no way was I giving up on medicine after one go at it.

Not exactly that, but I got asked "What career path would you chose if medicine wasn't an option?"

Only once thank god! I slacked all of senior year and tanked my gpa. Haha! I know I'm terrible.

Yeah, I'm currently working on that (tanking my gpa). I mean, I'll probably get a bunch of B's, but still, after struggling to get A's all the time, it feels like serious slacking.

A small part of me really wants to strive for the A, but the other 90% of me doesn't really care anymore. I want to know what it's like to be a normal college student who slacks and doesn't care about B's for once.

I hear ya baylormed. After 2 years of pushing myself, i wanted my third to be care free and relaxed. And it paid off!

Two times baby! Busted my balls to get an M.S., do research, land publications, etc after I failed in my first attempt. Too many long, sleepless nights that year...

It will probably take me two times to get in. I realistically cant see being rejected everywhere next year. If that happens though I probably can get into a top 10 or 20 law school pretty easily as Ive heard that law schools just want to see a high lsat and gpa and dont care about much else.

It will probably take me two times to get in. I realistically cant see being rejected everywhere next year. If that happens though I probably can get into a top 10 or 20 law school pretty easily as Ive heard that law schools just want to see a high lsat and gpa and dont care about much else.

Yes yes, you told us. Good luck finding the "smarter" adcoms next year.

Yes yes, you told us. Good luck finding the "smarter" adcoms next year.

actually im just going to write my essay as if the adcom were my highschool student counsil

As you know this is my 4th year in the process, and I was asked this question. I told them that I would do everything in power to improve my application and explore other paths into a medical career.

At all 5 of my interviews--I was told something along the lines of you won't be reapplying next year.

I have no idea of what adcoms want :oops: