Poll: If taking the Aug MCAT, when are you applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ranger47

Doctor G
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If taking the Aug MCAT, when are you applying?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been told by several advisors that it's a big disadvantage to apply for 2004 if you're only getting your Aug MCAT scores tomorrow. The logic being that schools have by now already admitted many people to their 2004 entering class.

As much as this stinks, Med School is a numbers game and you can greatly increase your chances if you're not already at the bottom of a pile of applications. Better to wait till next June, get your AMCAS portion in on the first day possible, and (hopefully) receive interview requests by late August/early September....

There's some truth to the notion that some medical schools have already admitted some of their students by this time. However, many of these students are Early Decision applicants. The remainder probably DID take the April MCAT. So, taking the April does put you at somewhat of an advantage.

However, there's ways to increase your chances if you're still taking the August administration. Firstly, apply to AMCAS early. I turned my app in 3 days after it was released online. I've been verified for a good 6 weeks now. A lot of med schools will send out secondary apps LONG before MCAT scores are in (I've gotten 17 so far). If you send them in right away, the schools need only scores.

Moral of the story... if you need to take the August test for one reason or another, no worries. There's still PLENTY of time to get interviews and all those acceptance letters!

Members don't see this ad :)
Despite taking the August MCAT this year, I'm quite sure I have a much better chance starting med school next year than if I don't apply until next year. :p

Most of the people that took it with me are Sophmores and applying for 2005. It is going to be nice laughing at all our friends while they are stressed out about the whole thing during a tough semester, and we are done! Plus we have committee right then which is a pain. Anyways, I am SOOOOO glad I did it in the summer while I had 20+ hours a week that I wouldn't have in the Winter to study.