Poll: Live with a roomie or Alone for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Live alone or room mate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MED786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Voted "live alone" but there should have been a "live with spouse" option :)

Depends on your age, how much money you have, significant other situation, how well you do alone.

I would rather live with someone because I like human interaction, cutting down the rent, and splitting up the bills. If you get along well with your brother, I would go with that option. It will be nice to talk to someone about something besides medical school too.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would vote live alone at least for the first year until you find someone you can live with. ive lived with roommates during college and i cannot do it anymore. I refuse to live with roommates due to those people just having such a different world view and wanting everything so differently. dont forget., living with roommates involves sharing the living room and kitchen usually. this past year i lived in a 2-bed with 4 people (2 couples) and the other couple f*cking DOMINATED the living room and kitchen and i was going out of my mind.
just my 2cents...

Ive been shearing an apartment with a guy for almost a year now that I knew from one year before from class....

Im getting my own place next semester and so is he... Its not that he is a bad guy, but its just not the same. We barly talk, dont have that many friends in common so its mostly just shearing frigde, mail and livingroom... Its actually almost akward at times, so I CANT WAIT to get my owne place... We just dont clicke, and I like to have some space for myself... I see people the whole day in class and then on breaks at the library. So when Im home I just want to be alone and dont have to think about not waking up my roomate/beeing woken up and stuff like that.

Seriously, if you dont have a person you know really good from before, DONT move in with them.... You SHOULD however spend maybe a month in the dorms just to get to know people, and then finde your own place.. I lived in a dorm for 3 weeks with the guy I live with now during the pre-cours at our uni... Had tons of fun, lots of parties and meet alot of people. But when the serious classes start its nice to have an apartment

I hooked up with my housemates via Craigslist. I am on a very tight budget and the rent was just right. One's an Md/PhD student and the other a post-doc in a non-medical discipline. We're all at different political/religious spectrums but we leave it at the door and just coexist.

Well, at first we "coexisted" until we got to know each other better. Now we all do quite a bit together and we find each other interesting.

Sometimes you gotta go for a situation that seems less than ideal at the beginning because of set restraints, but it can turn into something really neat. It's all what you make it, I guess.

Or I just really lucked out big time.

I voted that you live with your brother because its good to have someone to interact with once in a while when ur at home, and it's great to have support if yall are close. From my experience you dont wanna live with anybody who's gonna annoy u in any way ie make ur living environment unconducive to whatever you need to accomplish at home eg studying, sleeping or whatever. For me I've had issues with noisy roomate in the past when I basically came home to sleep... so it wasn gonna work out...living alone has its pros too tho as anything else...

Get a roommate.
There are going to be times when you need to vent/are pissed off about memorizing some stupid obscure pathway or section of the syllabus.
Venting to your significant other/family members won't get the same response or have the same level of reciprocity as venting to a classmate.

Get a roommate.
There are going to be times when you need to vent/are pissed off about memorizing some stupid obscure pathway or section of the syllabus.
Venting to your significant other/family members won't get the same response or have the same level of reciprocity as venting to a classmate.

I agree with this. Very glad I lived with who I lived with this year.

I'll be living with a pharmacy student...that way I know we'll both be quiet studying and at the same time, won't be griping over the same material so hopefully it'll balance out :thumbup:

Get a roommate.

Being the guy who just nods politely when people vent about the latest test while secretly wishing we could talk about anything, ANYTHING besides medical school...I would suggest you live alone or with people who have nothing to do with medical school.

Any thought on living with med students who are 1-3 years further along? I think it could be chill since they aren't taking the all of the same classes.

Any thought on living with med students who are 1-3 years further along? I think it could be chill since they aren't taking the all of the same classes.

im trying to get a room in a house with a current 3rd year. i think it would be sweet cuz he'll be gone all the time and he's offered to give me old books and all of the stuff he used the first two years.

It's definitely a sweet deal to live with another med student(s). You have automatic study buddies, you can share books (this is huge), you can help each other keep track of what's due and when tests are, you have a lot in common and become fast friends, and you have someone to walk to school with in the morning.

The only problem is that everybody's a bit on-edge around test time. But whatever.

It's definitely a sweet deal to live with another med student(s). You have automatic study buddies, you can share books (this is huge), you can help each other keep track of what's due and when tests are, you have a lot in common and become fast friends, and you have someone to walk to school with in the morning.

The only problem is that everybody's a bit on-edge around test time. But whatever.

never had a problem sharing books? Like the test comes around and you both want to use it but have different schedules... thats the only thing thats held me back from sharing books.

Will be living alone. Too anal for a roommate. :laugh:

(ETA: but hey, you guys are always invited.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I anwered an ad in an alternative weekly. now my house mates and I take vacations together. maybe buying a house together down the line. I've also lived with a creepy guy who "accidently" walks in when I shower. Like oops, didn't know you were in there. there's curtains but wtf?

Sometimes it's luck of the draw, but I still prefer people. Just move out fast when it's bad.

I've been living alone ever since started I med school ( 2 years now) and I prefer it over living with someone else (except of course staying home with my family). I think I would probably get more study done if I lived with another med student, but I prefer my privacy and eating dinner at 2am.

I have lived with other people my whole life and am looking forward to living on my own. Think about it, you will have your own private sanctuary to do whatever you want. Peace and quiet to study or you can crank the music to relieve stress. If you need somebody to vent or study with, just go to their house or have them over. When you guys get tired of each other, one of you can leave, you can't do that with a roommate, they are ALWAYS there. There are wonderful stories of roommates that people love and vacation with, but remember, you can do that with friends, and when things get stressful, which they ALWAYS do eventually, you can go to your private sanctuary to chill. Just my two cents.

I guess it helped that my house mates and I all had lives and the house was HUGE. I could go for a week without seeing any of them. I had half a floor to myself and wouldn't know if they were home unless they stopped in to say hi. Space is key. Roommates with things that take them out of the house is key. It was awesome to come home from work at 10pm and see a note that said there was a plate in the fridge for you. I did the same for them. I think that situation is rare, but it's awesome when it comes together. I would be very careful to talk to the people before you move in. Ads that say 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, and btw a roommate are not a good sign.