1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Poll: MSAR or Princeton Review Book?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jlee9531, Mar 21, 2004.

?

MSAR or PR?

1. MSAR

28 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. Princeton Review Book

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Doesn't matter really...

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i dont usually do this but...

my friend bought her premed brother the princeton review version of the msar...

what i wanted to ask for her is which one do you guys think is better?

the msar is cheaper than PR...

and i thought i read somewhere on here that the PR book had some incorrect information about some schools and such...

should she just get the msar and return the PR book?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jhk43

jhk43 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

are those books actually helpful?

4. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i dont know haha. i dont own them. but i know a lot of people that do...hopefully they can give some good info.

5. sunkists

sunkists im a fatty
    7+ Year Member

get the MSAR. some of the numbers in the princeton review book are wack. wrong tuitions, wrong mcat score averages, wrong gpas. some stuff is missing altogether.

i repeat, get the MSAR. :)

have a good day.

6. ElyMD2008

ElyMD2008 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would get the MSAR too, because the schools are more likely to give AAMC all information necessary and correct. Using the MSAR is very healpful when deciding what schools to apply to. You don't want to apply to a school and find out later that they don't accept out of state applicants or they only accept about 10% of out of state apps.

7. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    thanks sunkists and ely for your help ;)

8. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    MSAR is probably more accurate, although even it has errors. I used the MSAR to pick my schools based upon acceptance rates for out of state applicants and what not. The info about each schools is really diluted though, so I'd use it as a rough guide. Visiting the school webpage is probably better for getting info.

9. Ragzpie

Ragzpie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi J,

I got both. The MSAR was great in terms of figuring out objective info about schools, like acceptance rate, whether or not the schools screen, and contact info. The PR book was really helpful for writing essays and prepping for interviews. The first blurb for every school talks about the general strengths of the school and what makes it unique. Also, the "student life" sections in the PR book were also helpful. Sometimes the PR book provided average MCATs and GPAs when the MSAR book didn't.

10. ScoobySnack

ScoobySnack Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

MSAR. No question. The information is more accurate. I think PR is typically one year behind. Also, it includes important information that PR does not, like EDP stats, out-of-state applicant considerations (for some reason some people still apply to states that do not accept out-of-staters- and they even submit secondaries. Surprise, surprise glance at the MSAR stats and learn that none of them get interviews), and the medical schools' mission statements (provided by the school). Relying on PR only would be a big mistake.

11. hapkidochic

hapkidochic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i too have both. i think the numerical info in the msar is better. but i definitely prefer the PR school descriptions over those in the msar