POLL Revisited: Top Ten or Non-Top-Twenty-Five State School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katiep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Without debating about happiness, prestige, environment, cost, curriculum, rank of state school, etc., what would YOU do?

People from the other poll, which shall be summarily closed, please post again :(

Only post if your state school is a Non-top-twenty-five according to USNews. Therefore, do not post if your state school includes but is not limited to:

- UCSF
- UCLA
- U of Wash
- Ann Arbor
- UCSD
- Chapel Hill

(UPenn, WashU, Stanford are not state schools.)

PS. You don't have to actually have made it into these schools to vote. Pretend, say, that you got into Columbia and Downstate, or Harvard and UMass.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't get it- are we talking about state schools in teh top 25 versus top 10s? You're missing a few: Southwestern, Baylor (pseudo state school), etc. Sorry for my confusion --Trek

No, what I mean is, if you had a choice between a top ten school, or a state school that is not ranked in the top twenty-five, which would you choose?

Since Baylor and Southwestern are in the top twenty-five, and those would have been your choice, then don't vote.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, in the same period of time, 27 people had responded to the other now-defunct poll that did not discriminate between top twenty-five or not.

Does this mean the other 21 responses were from CA or other residents?

All the schools that you listed as "Non-Top 25 State schools" are indeed listed on the US News Site in the Top 25 (for research, not 1? care). I am confused as to what you mean? Little help.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by katiep:
•No, what I mean is, if you had a choice between a top ten school, or a state school that is not ranked in the top twenty-five, which would you choose?

Since Baylor and Southwestern are in the top twenty-five, and those would have been your choice, then don't vote.•••••What have you been smoking katiep???
haha..all those schools are BADASS schools! UCSF is ranked hell of freaking high in both primary care AND research!!!!
UCSD and UCLA are too..and UWASH is like 12 or something!

Ann Arbor (aka UMICH) is top 10 as well
Sooooo...what exactly are you asking?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by katiep:

People from the other poll, which shall be summarily closed, please post again :(

Non-top-twenty-five according to USNews, which includes but is not limited to:

- UCSF
- UCLA
- U of Wash
- Ann Arbor
- UCSD
- Chapel Hill

(UPenn, WashU, Stanford are not state schools.)•••••Katie, I'm looking at the USNews Rankings for Research and I don't know what you're trying to convey but here are the following schools and their rankings:
UCSF- 7th
Baylor- 11th
U Washington (Seattle)- 11th
UCLA- 14th
UT Southwestern- 17th
Pitt- 20th
UCSD- 24th
UNC- 24th

For primary care rankings, most state schools are highly ranked. So, do you mean state schools that you didn't list in your post?

BTW- did you ever hear from your NYC schools? How'd NYMC fair?

Meaning... Do NOT vote if your state school is top twenty-five.

I just want to see if people would rather go to a top ten school or a state school, but I don't want to skew the results when the state school is also very highly ranked.

So, to summarize:

Vote only if you have a choice between going to a top ten school or a state school AND that state school is not top twenty-five in the rankings.

UCSFreak: I know. What I'm saying is don't include these schools, if they are one of your state school.

I.e. that list I included are schools that are indeed top twenty-five, and then promptly hit the 'BACK' button on your browser accordingly.

I will edit the original post to be clearer, I guess.

Dr. Kermit,

Still waiting on NYMC (they'll let me know next week) and Downstate. Didn't hear yet from Mount Sinai, but not hoping too much.

Got rejected from everywhere else in NYC, including P&S without interview.

Where are you going?

I got rejected w/o interview from NYU and Cornell. I didn't apply to Columbia, I had read your posts about NYC schools when everyone was trying to figure out if NYU was done interviewing. I'm in at Einstein and probably going there, but I can't vote on this post since Einstein isn't in the Top 10 :) I'm probably headed there in the fall. Good luck with NYMC and Downstate :)

Dr. Kermit, vote anyway, assuming that you got into P&S and Downstate.

I hear very good things about Einstein. Congratulations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, I'll give into the vote. I'm from PA, so assuming I got into UPenn (school of choice since boyf is there) and Temple (Pitt is ranked.) I'd go to... see my vote!

If all the other factors are left out of the decision, the question makes no sense whatsoever. It's like asking pick a school ONLY on the factor of cost--> Isn't it obvious people will pick the cheaper school?

So basically, What on earth is your point (or the point of this poll)? :confused:

I just said "without debating." Go ahead and include whatever factors you want.

Ooooooooh...catfight!!! :) --Trek

OK i can clear this up

first of all, it's a poll. there's no point to it. she's not proving anything. so there's that point to make (for me, not her). secondly, she DID say 'without debating.' the point behind that was to avoid the kind of fruitless discussion that is actually TAKING PLACE :D . Isn't it Ironic (Alanis Morissette would say YES, and then take some infatuation--that junkie!).

and yes, price is definitely the biggest issue in this discussion, but HELLZ NO people won't just pick UMass over Harvard because of the price!!!

still, there is one problem with the poll. it's too ambiguous, and too subjective. saying nontop25 could mean the state school is number 26 or something. in which case it doesn't seem AS crazy to choose the state school because of money issues, etc, BUT it the state school isn't ranked (better yet, has 24 average mcat with 3.3 gpa) then you'd have to be biologically (and spiritually!) dead to choose the state school. SO, since there's no list for people to post their opinion AND mention the schools they're comparing, this poll just won't work out too well. I think the top 10 will definitely win out, but if it doesn't, i guess you'll have to assume that the majority of people were NOT from Boston! and that, Ms. P, leaves too much to the imagination. with that, i take a small bow, and fart behind the curtains as they close in front of me. :D

who knows! but polls are fun :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by praying4MD:
•If all the other factors are left out of the decision, the question makes no sense whatsoever. It's like asking pick a school ONLY on the factor of cost--> Isn't it obvious people will pick the cheaper school?

So basically, What on earth is your point (or the point of this poll)? :confused: •••••

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Trek_OCLV:
•Ooooooooh...catfight!!! :) •••••Dream on honey. :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by A. Caveman:
•but HELLZ NO people won't just pick UMass over Harvard because of the price!!! ... it the state school isn't ranked (better yet, has 24 average mcat with 3.3 gpa) then you'd have to be biologically (and spiritually!) dead to choose the state school.•••••This is turning into another "name game" debate. :rolleyes: I believe there was a poster not even 2 weeks ago who got into Columbia, but decided on his state school (Arizona was it? or Kentucky??) instead. So that just dissolves that argument right there. :p

But since we don't want any discussion about it, I'll stop there... Sorry to disappoint you Trek. One catfight a night is my limit... See ya there, eh? :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by praying4MD:
•This is turning into another "name game" debate. :rolleyes: I believe there was a poster not even 2 weeks ago who got into Columbia, but decided on his state school (Arizona was it? or Kentucky??) instead. So that just dissolves that argument right there. :p

But since we don't want any discussion about it, I'll stop there... Sorry to disappoint you Trek. One catfight a night is my limit... See ya there, eh? :wink: •••••Actually, I don't think Jargon got into Columbia. Waitlisted if I remember correctly. Even if he did get in, there were extenuating circumstances to his decision, family, and especially girlfriend. Once the nookie aspect of it comes into play (not to mention all the emotions of a serious relationship), all bets are off on this poll. :wink: No disrespect intended Jargon. Just my $.02

besides, you can't base an entire argument on one example. to make generalizations it's usually more adequate to use logic. i guess the logic is that most people on this board are very competitive applicants who want to get into the best school possible. also, the top 10's are winning, so throw logic out the window cuz we don't need it. we got DATA. or DATA, however you like to pronounce it. :D
anyway, catfight, catfight. tag you're it!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by A. Caveman:
•most people on this board are very competitive applicants who want to get into the best school possible. catfight, catfight. tag you're it!•••••Of course you can't generalize, esp since every case is different. That was my whole point.

"Best school possible" does not necessarily = "Highest ranked." How many times do we have to go through this?! :p No catfight for you naught boys!! :cool:

Somebody recently posted on the OHSU thread that they'd go there over Cornell.

What if your state school is ranked #1 in primary care and #11 in research, like mine is? Of course, I don't know if I got in there yet. Would everyone say it's a no-brainer to go there over Columbia?

Whooah! I come back to this forum after a couple of hours only to find carnage all over the place!

I was really hoping the only posts, besides votes, would be bumps.

I just wanted to start a simple poll to see how many Jargons (Arizona over P&S) are out there. I too know someone who picked Downstate over P&S. I personally think she must have been out of her mind (and I don't care if all you want to do is FP), I'd still go to P&S.

It's interesting that 1 out of 5 picked a state school. I would have thought it'd be less than that.