Poll time: Relationships and premed/med school students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your personal relationship status/degree of seriousness?

• Currently in relationship, not serious

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • Currently in relationship, serious

Votes: 188 38.2%
  • Currently NOT in a relationship, but want to be in one.

Votes: 68 13.8%
  • Currently NOT in a relationship and DO NOT want to be in one.

Votes: 40 8.1%
  • Flings only.

Votes: 21 4.3%
  • Eyes open but not outright looking for anything,

Votes: 60 12.2%
  • Engaged

Votes: 25 5.1%
  • Married

Votes: 49 10.0%
  • Separated

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Too busy for anything.

Votes: 27 5.5%

• Total voters

monkeyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Take the poll everybody. Contribute.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i wanna hear from pre-meds or any pre-professionals who get into their respective med/pharm/law/etc school and kept their relationship intact...

Wish I could use this for my FB relationship status.

i wanna hear from pre-meds or any pre-professionals who get into their respective med/pharm/law/etc school and kept their relationship intact...

Don't expect anything and know it's gonna be a burden.

in a serious relationship, it has it's stresses but its worth it imo

In a serious relationship. Will be engaged before long and most likely married before medical school (hopefully fall of 2013:xf:).

in a serious relationship, it has it's stresses but its worth it imo

Agreed.:thumbup:

Is it telling that no one that is in a relationship has chosen to call it "not serious?"

Not in one, open to one if it happens, but not looking really or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would prob have a meltdown if I needed to juggle anything else. Between school, work, and EC's my plate is already over-flowing. I tried earlier this semester but I didn't have the will power to even try.... we didn't even last three weeks before I called it quits!

I do think, though, that if you find the right person you'll be willing to take on the extra work that comes with it.

I can almost smell the forever alone wafting in this thread.

I would prob have a meltdown if I needed to juggle anything else. Between school, work, and EC's my plate is already over-flowing. I tried earlier this semester but I didn't have the will power to even try.... we didn't even last three weeks before I called it quits!

I hate to go all "doom and gloom" on you, but if you choose to go into medicine, every year things get harder. :( Until about halfway through your career (maybe).

Feel bad for the people that said "too busy for anything". I had more free time in college than I knew what to do with.

I've been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years but we haven't talked about marriage at all.

I've been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years but we haven't talked about marriage at all.

damn, I'm in the exact opposite end of the stick. Talked about it day 1. But we are simple people. :rolleyes:

It looks like the distribution is almost 50/50
Those in relationships/those not in relationships.
:D

damn, I'm in the exact opposite end of the stick. Talked about it day 1. But we are simple people. :rolleyes:

Since day 1????? Isn't that waaaaaaaay too early? I would've freaked out if my boyfriend talked about marriage on our first day dating.

Yeah me and my gf have tentatively set summer after Step 1 if we both make it that far + stay together... so we'll see. :xf:

Only 7 for flingers? where ma flingers at? :scared:
I feel like lately people have been falling off and off the flinger train. I recently got in on it and now everyone's leaving. I can't even get any luck on Craigslist :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

I'm married with two kiddos... Went through undergrad (round 2) with family so hopefully I have some experience with juggling before med school but know I ain't seen anything yet :cool:

I've been in a relationship for a little more than two years. We've talked about it and agreed it'd probably be best to get married before I matriculate, which would be fall 2013. :xf:

So I'm one of those kids that graduated high school with no dating experience and now I'm a sophomore...

(I picked option 3).

Be careful bro! Everybody knows that place is full of murderers!

Seriously man. Wasn't there some dude from a med school that were killing women through that site?

Seriously man. Wasn't there some dude from a med school that were killing women through that site?
that guy was a dumb ****k. dude, he had a girl and his girlfriend was hot! what an idiot. you're in med school, hot girl. why do such an inhumane thing? some people I really wonder

anyway, the update on that guy is that he committed suicide in prison couple of years back

Be careful bro! Everybody knows that place is full of murderers!
I've stopped going there now. not worth it. so I've stopped. on the other hand, a poster above you suggested OKCupid. gonna try out my luck there :laugh:

This actually came up during an interview of mine.

Interviewer: This interview is really just to make sure you're not an axe murderer.
Me: Haha, I'm not, I promise.
Interviewer: (Dead seriously) That's what they all say. We actually had one come through here on the interview trail a couple years back.
Me: omg

Everything makes so much more sense now...

(the rest of the interview went really well though, in case anyone was wondering)

This actually came up during an interview of mine.

Interviewer: This interview is really just to make sure you're not an axe murderer.
Me: Haha, I'm not, I promise.
Interviewer: (Dead seriously) That's what they all say. We actually had one come through here on the interview trail a couple years back.
Me: omg

Everything makes so much more sense now...

(the rest of the interview went really well though, in case anyone was wondering)
so you saying Craigslist killer interviewed at your school? :laugh:

So I'm one of those kids that graduated high school with no dating experience and now I'm a sophomore...

(I picked option 3).

Meh, I didn't have my first boyfriend til after I graduated college. I thought there was something wrong with me, but I was just too self-conscious to be ready for a relationship. No one ever asked me on dates or approached me at bars or parties or anything. Once I matured a bit (well, matured depending on who you ask :D) and started to develop a little more confidence, I had WAY more dating opportunities. Three great months with my current boyfriend and counting. It's far more important to be comfortable with yourself at this point in your life than it is to have a significant other. I promise your time will come. ;) Being tied down in a relationship while in college is overrated, IMO. This is your chance to have random hookups every weekend night, take advantage!

If you feel a bit too shy to cold approach people in person, or just aren't the type to go to busy parties/clubs -- give the online stuff a go, meet someone, build up comfort level behind the safety screen of technology, then go on some dates (that is, if you haven't tried the online stuff already).

Also, by online - I don't mean Facebook. General consensus is that approaching via Facebook makes one a creeper. :smuggrin:

Try a popular free site like www.okcupid.com, as silly as it may sound, who cares? One of my buddies from HS had a bunch of dates lined up from that site, looks like he got the last: :laugh:
I'm not a fan of dating sites, mostly because of the platform. I like just going out there and finding someone. If I wanted to flirt, I'd prefer doing it in person, since I do a lot of dry humor whilst. I go to parties when I can and socialize. I almost got a one nighter with this chick but she got pulled away by her friends. Unfortunately since I'm not the type to do something like that, my friends made it very known in the dorm halls and that took a hit on my reputation.

Meh, I didn't have my first boyfriend til after I graduated college. I thought there was something wrong with me, but I was just too self-conscious to be ready for a relationship. No one ever asked me on dates or approached me at bars or parties or anything. Once I matured a bit (well, matured depending on who you ask :D) and started to develop a little more confidence, I had WAY more dating opportunities. Three great months with my current boyfriend and counting. It's far more important to be comfortable with yourself at this point in your life than it is to have a significant other. I promise your time will come. ;) Being tied down in a relationship while in college is overrated, IMO. This is your chance to have random hookups every weekend night, take advantage!
Well, it's not that I want to be in a relationship just because. It would be great to have someone always there for you, I've never had that feeling before but I know it's a great one.

Anyways, my biggest problem is probably self-esteem, since I find myself very anxious 1-on-1 in front of a girl unless I somehow feel superior to them in every way (which doesn't happen very often).

Started dating my guy soph year of HS...junior year of college we are still together. No ring though :(

The results for the item: "Currently NOT in a relationship, but want to be in one" indicates the potential for a SDN matchmaking service...

e-Humerus?
MatchDerm?
PlentyofNeurotics?
OKlupus?
Hippocrates' List?

+10000

Try a popular free site like www.okcupid.com, as silly as it may sound, who cares? One of my buddies from HS had a bunch of dates lined up from that site, looks like he got the last: :laugh:

I've been on a few dates on there, but mostly I've been too busy and/or broke to date.

But I did meet my crazy ex on there.

I almost got a one nighter with this chick but she got pulled away by her friends. Unfortunately since I'm not the type to do something like that, my friends made it very known in the dorm halls and that took a hit on my reputation.
Dude that blows on multiple levels.

I almost got a one nighter with this chick but she got pulled away by her friends. Unfortunately since I'm not the type to do something like that, my friends made it very known in the dorm halls and that took a hit on my reputation.

Sounds like you need new friends ASAP.

(I picked option 3).

Ditto to all of this, except the fact that I'm a freshman. Not much luck this semester. Hopefully next semester will be more promising.

I was in the same boat as you, but now I have a wonderful girlfriend who makes me happy, so don't worry you have plenty of time. It is a time comittment though, but for me my grades didn't really suffer I just found ways to get the same grades while studying less.