Poll: Will you take one of the COVID vaccines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will you personally take a COVID vaccine?

• Yes; as soon as available

Votes: 97 66.4%
  • Yes; after waiting a while to see what side effects and complications may emerge

Votes: 32 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Autism

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will you take one of the COVD vaccines as soon as it is available, wait a while, not take at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait awhile.

I've gone 40 yrs on this rock without autism, and I've built up a busy pain practice...Not sure what my getting autism would do to that.

...wife might leave me or something.

I'm not in a rush but I'll take it when offered.

But the reality is this is not going to end when we, as individuals, get vaccinated.

It's going to end when the case numbers plummet, ie. when the masses are vaccinated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not in a rush but I'll take it when offered.

But the reality is this is not going to end when we, as individuals, get vaccinated.

It's going to end when the case numbers plummet, ie. when the masses are vaccinated.

You seem to understand virology and vaccines well. In my area at least, physicians are being prioritized to get the vaccine. Do you have any reservations about this novel vaccine, side effects, etc?

You seem to understand virology and vaccines well. In my area at least, physicians are being prioritized to get the vaccine. Do you have any reservations about this novel vaccine, side effects, etc?
I'm also expecting to be offered this in the next week or so and I plan to accept.

Not being any kind of expert on the subject, the main risk I see with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines is that the lipid nanoparticle (LNP) vector has characteristics that are different from what we are exposed to in nature, what our immune systems evolved to expect.

OTOH, traditional protein-based vaccines have known risks and are unlikely to be as effective.

If you think about how fragile the LNP vaccines are and how they have to be stored, you can imagine how quickly they will degrade in the body and be rendered useless/harmless. So it's just a question of what cells uptake the mRNA package, how long they are in the business of translating it into spike protein, and what kind of response it generates.

My expectation/hope is that we will have a sore arm, flu like sxs for the day, and no other effects.

I am pretty sure we will see some bad outcomes just because of the scale of the immunization effort.

But in context, I am looking forward to getting on with this and not worrying about covid.

Reactions: 1 user
I just learned that while these vaccines are under EUA, no one will be mandated to accept.

In an estimated 3-7 months, the initial vaccines are expected to get full FDA approval and, at that time, employers such as hospitals and agencies might mandate the vaccine.

This is similar to the yearly flu vaccines, which do have full FDA approval.

This is a time for us to make educated, individual decisions for our unique circumstances.

I'm also expecting to be offered this in the next week or so and I plan to accept.

Not being any kind of expert on the subject, the main risk I see with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines is that the lipid nanoparticle (LNP) vector has characteristics that are different from what we are exposed to in nature, what our immune systems evolved to expect.

OTOH, traditional protein-based vaccines have known risks and are unlikely to be as effective.

If you think about how fragile the LNP vaccines are and how they have to be stored, you can imagine how quickly they will degrade in the body and be rendered useless/harmless. So it's just a question of what cells uptake the mRNA package, how long they are in the business of translating it into spike protein, and what kind of response it generates.

My expectation/hope is that we will have a sore arm, flu like sxs for the day, and no other effects.

I am pretty sure we will see some bad outcomes just because of the scale of the immunization effort.

But in context, I am looking forward to getting on with this and not worrying about covid.
What’s the risk of the LNP?

What’s the risk of the LNP?
IDK, maybe nothing.

LNPs are smaller than viruses, which require a capsid to protect them from the elements when transiting between hosts.

Viruses also tend to infect particular cell types over others. LNPs may not obey this principle.

These differences may have no clinical significance. Time will tell.

I got the Pfizer shot 2 days ago. My arm was sore for 1 day. Other than that I've had no side effects.

Reactions: 4 users
I got the Pfizer shot 2 days ago. My arm was sore for 1 day. Other than that I've had no side effects.
Struggling to keep up with sarcasm?

Members don't see this ad :)
Struggling to keep up with sarcasm?
I'm sorry. I had no side effects. Except for slight penis shortening.

#BetterThanGettingCOVID
#NotReally

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry. I had no side effects. Except for slight penis shortening.

#BetterThanGettingCOVID
#NotReally
I must of gotten that vaccine at birth.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Do any of you have a preference for the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, given the choice? Pros/cons?
Pfizer requires a smaller dose. I put that in the plus column
Moderna is easier to store, so less room for error or "going bad". I put that in the plus column.
Otherwise, I don't think there is a major difference. I believe they both use the same synthetic nucleotides.

I am scheduled for Moderna on Jan 4th.

Wonder who were the 7 votes, I hope they are not physicians.

Wonder who were the 7 votes, I hope they are not physicians.

You’d be surprised how many medical people view vaccines, especially in rural America. Where I am, we have more vaccines than people who want them. We literally got an email saying “uhhh we got a couple hundred remaining, any employee in the hospital who wants one swing by today”. Feel kinda bad honestly since everywhere else it’s the opposite problem.

You’d be surprised how many medical people view vaccines, especially in rural America. Where I am, we have more vaccines than people who want them. We literally got an email saying “uhhh we got a couple hundred remaining, any employee in the hospital who wants one swing by today”. Feel kinda bad honestly since everywhere else it’s the opposite problem.
Same issue here. I don't blame people for hesitating during this EUA period.

This means the vaccine can be offered to other tiers quicker.

But it's funny to see people freaking out they are not the very first to get it. It's like at the airport when they call zone 1 but "Karen" is stuck in zone 2.

Reactions: 1 users
It is actually Docs or it Ancillary folks( nurses, etc)?

Moderna Sunday.
Left shoulder hurts to touch. It is on par with the anthrax vaccination I got in the military.

You’d be surprised how many medical people view vaccines, especially in rural America.
interestingly, if one is a trump supporter, does one get the vaccine? I had this discussion with the conservative trump supporters and own family members.

Pros:
1. he calls it "trump vaccine", and implies that he did it all (fact check - the first vaccine approved was from Pfizer which did not participate in Warp Speed for the development of the vaccine, only now in distribution/implementation)
2. some of his minions are getting vaccinated - Pence, McConnell, Rubio.

Cons:
1. apparently, the virus is still a hoax, that should have gone away after Biden won.
2. even if not a hoax, the virus doesn't hurt anyone.
3. Trump has had doubts about vaccination in general in the past
4. trump himself has not had the vaccine. (apparently, he says he will take it "at the appropriate time".)

it seems impossible to reconcile that "this virus is not dangerous at all" yet they need to get the vaccine to protect themselves.

Moderna Sunday.
Left shoulder hurts to touch. It is on par with the anthrax vaccination I got in the military.

I thought you were like a chuck norris/BJJ master who could beat up Jack Reacher in a fight.

FWIW, i just go the moderna vaccine an hour ago and i definitely feel a little dizzy/drunkish. not like any other flushot i have ever had....

I thought you were like a chuck norris/BJJ master who could beat up Jack Reacher in a fight.

FWIW, i just go the moderna vaccine an hour ago and i definitely feel a little dizzy/drunkish. not like any other flushot i have ever had....
I don't like to hear that since I have had those symptoms since having covid and im scheduled to get the vaccine monday. I have worried that it might make these symptoms worse...

I actually felt like that a little too after pfizer. I attributed to nocebo or dehydration.

I actually felt like that a little too after pfizer. I attributed to nocebo or dehydration.
i mean. i just pissed clear for about 2-3 minutes, so i dont think im dehydrated. i never get vaso vagal reactions. i do think it is some physiological reaction. its going away slowly, but something is there.

I

If you got those it must be the "Trump" vaccine..

i mean. i just pissed clear for about 2-3 minutes, so i dont think im dehydrated. i never get vaso vagal reactions. i do think it is some physiological reaction. its going away slowly, but something is there.
I felt exactly the same. No issues immediately after but an hour or so later, felt just as you describe. I brushed it off and it was gone in a few hours.

I think psychosomatic makes the most sense but I guess it could be something in the suspension causing transient sxs.

Y'all are wimps

Wimps I say

Reactions: 2 users
I felt odd for a few hrs after my vaccine too. I thought I was hungry or maybe low blood sugar.

Definitely something was off with me.

Given how bad it is supposed to hurt, I am shocked they didn't put me to sleep first.

Last edited:
The moderna study had a 17% side effect rate including fevers of 104, tachycardia, flu like symptoms, etc.

Trust me..those numbers for Moderna are artificially inflated. PM me if very important to you.

Askin for a friend who’s pregnant, any ideas/thoughts on when they should get the vaccine? Risk of Covid if u wait...risk of vaccine effects if u take the shot. Oh, they work in healthcare, so work from home is not possible.

Askin for a friend who’s pregnant, any ideas/thoughts on when they should get the vaccine? Risk of Covid if u wait...risk of vaccine effects if u take the shot. Oh, they work in healthcare, so work from home is not possible.
If it was my wife I would advocate for getting the vaccine.

ACOG recommends pregnant women be vaccinated according to their risk, and lactating women should also be vaccinated

What about pregnant men and lactating men? Seems sexist to ignore them.

I don’t think anyone could ignore a pregnant man. It would be 1000x worse than the man flu.

I took it today and have no side effects except for improved cell phone reception and this funny looking mole on my arm...

1609391696846.png

• Haha
Update: I got the first Pfizer covid shot 12/16/20 and had only 1-2 days of a mildly sore arm, no fever, chills, aches or pains. 2 days ago I got the second dose, which is supposedly "the bad one." Again, I got the sore arm. I might have felt a little achy and fatigued, but I honestly can't tell if its because I'm doing training for a marathon and I ran a ton the day of the shot (17 miles) and the day after (11 miles). If the fatigue and aches were from the shot, they were mild, and sure as hell not enough to keep me from doing a pretty intense workout, and not enough to have missed work if it was on a weekday. From my experience, reports of side effects are over-hyped, but ymmv.

Somewhat nervous about Moderna #2, and I really hate to say that bc this stuff never bothers me.

I've never really had any issues with shots other than Anthrax 2/5, but something was definitely off with me on Moderna #1, and I couldn't touch my arm without pain for several days.

I'm young (40) so my immune response may be pretty vigorous.

Update: I got the first Pfizer covid shot 12/16/20 and had only 1-2 days of a mildly sore arm, no fever, chills, aches or pains. 2 days ago I got the second dose, which is supposedly "the bad one." Again, I got the sore arm. I might have felt a little achy and fatigued, but I honestly can't tell if its because I'm doing training for a marathon and I ran a ton the day of the shot (17 miles) and the day after (11 miles). If the fatigue and aches were from the shot, they were mild, and sure as hell not enough to keep me from doing a pretty intense workout, and not enough to have missed work if it was on a weekday. From my experience, reports of side effects are over-hyped, but ymmv.
which marathon?

Somewhat nervous about Moderna #2, and I really hate to say that bc this stuff never bothers me.

I've never really had any issues with shots other than Anthrax 2/5, but something was definitely off with me on Moderna #1, and I couldn't touch my arm without pain for several days.

I'm young (40) so my immune response may be pretty vigorous.
i had the same issue for 3 days. kids jumping on me not a fun feeling.

maybe its because the moderna dosage is so high?