~*~Ponce School of Medicine Class of 2011!!!!~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boricua_doc

MS-I
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the official Ponce School of Medicine Class of 2011 thread!

This is the place to make contacts with future classmates and to share any relevant and useful information about PSM's admissions, interview cycle, etc.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Why is this here? It's a LCME school in the US not really a caribbean

Did you mean 2010? Anyways I am currently applying to Ponce and praying for an interview. Did you already interview or get accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant the Class of 2011; I'm applying for the Ponce MSI class that starts in August 2007.

As far as I know, the Ponce interviewing process starts in mid-November and lasts until mid-February, so nobody has even been interviewed yet. However, if you want to visit the school, at least to take a look to where you are applying to, you can do so by calling the admissions office. I know from my own experience that they will happily arrange a little tour around the school for you.

Why did I start this thread?

I started this thread so that everybody applying to Ponce could share information about the admissions process, interviews, general information, etc. Moreover, I think it would be a good idea that we can get to know each other early because it can be handy when looking for housing in Ponce (mostly for that people that is not familiar with the Ponce area like myself).

Why is this here? It's a LCME school in the US not really a caribbean

The reason why I am posting here is because most people that post threads about the Puerto Rican Medical Schools do so either here or in the Latin American Forum. In addition, I did not want this thread to get lost in the Pre-Allopathic [MD] Forum.

Besides, Puerto Rico is hard to classiffy: The Island of Puerto Rico is a Spanish speaking commonwealth of the USA localized in the Caribbean with LCME accredited schools, wich means I can post in many different forums.:laugh:

I understand your point as to PSM being located in the caribeann. The problem is that the "caribbean" forum was created specifically for non accredited (i.e. foreign) med schools, such as St Georges, SABA, etc. Posting a PSM thread here can and will send the wrong message to many who are already confused as to the fact the PSM is a US school and is fully accredited by the LCME.
The pre-med forum is a more appropriate place for this thread. Anyway, good luck.

Dr Who

Oops, I'm an idiot. It is 2011. Anyways tell me when you get an invite for an interview. I am patiently waiting to hear from them also.

Hey guys, I'm stoked about this thread. Nice Job! So, Ponce has become one of my top picks. I am a U.S. student who has a desire to work in Latin communities. Why? Well, a little over three years ago I returned from spending 2 yrs in Bolivia as a missionary. The people were amazing. They treated me so well. They took me in as if I was one of their own. I gained a lot of respect and admiration for them as well as all Latinos. Upon return to the U.S. I realized --- I hadn't before---that the Latinos here are way underprivilaged. And, after deciding to pursue medicine I've decided that I want to continue my service to Latin communities, especially because of the way they treated me in my experiences. Anyway, I won't bore you guys any longer. I am simply ready to interview @ PONCE. I want to go to school there really bad. I have been accpeted to a few other schools, but PONCE is definitely #1.

Here are my #'s
(according to AMCAS)
overall GPA: 3.54
I screwed up my first semester as a freshman (although there were no F's), but retook all my classes and got all A's after I returned from my mission(funny what 2yrs in a 3rd world country will do). My transcript shows a 3.65
BCPM GPA: 3.64
AO: 3.33
MCAT: 26M --> weak!! I know

Extracurricular:
-200+ hrs ER volunteer
-Almost 2 yrs working as a PCT (Patient Care Tech) --> I'm basicially a glorified CNA, the only difference is I also do Phlebotomy, so they give me a much cooler title.
- At the tender age of 19 I traveled to Bolivia for 2 yrs as a missionary (2001-2003) It was awesome by the way!!! included religious proselyting and lots of community service. Completely fluent in Spanish and I speak Aymara too (an Indian dialect form Bolivia, not gonna help in PR though)
- 2005 American Heart Association Summer Undergraduate Internship Awardee
(Cardio Research w/ pacemakers, and pacemaker protocols, it was in collaboration w/ Guidant corp. (i.e. the bigtime!) about 600hrs total --> I also co-authored a paper. (PUBLISHED)
- Lots of other community service (i.e. Habitat for humanity, Peer tutoring for underclassmen/disadvantaged high school students. and more) ~100+ hrs
- Organic Chemistry Lab Instructor - 4 hrs/wk since April
- Anatomy Lab T.A. --1yr. (slicin' & dicin')
- Vice President of Pre-Med club at my school.
- Shadowing MD & DO ~50+ hrs
- Dean's List
- Above all I'm married and have one kid. (Bein' a dad is tough work!!!)
- There's more but I won't bore you to death...

All of you who would care to help me out, and would know (i.e. attend PONCE) I'm sure you are sick of people asking but......what the heck. What are my chances?????

scootdoc, i graduated from ponce and I say your chances are pretty good. I read why you wanted to study in ponce and if you can send that message across with the admission people like you did here I dont see any problem!!!

Good luck!!

Valek_pm, i think you are gonna end up at Recinto!!! Pretty good list of EC, research. And MCAT!! 27, very good for a pr mainland student!!

Hey guys! This is my profile:

I am applying to UPR (El Recinto) and Ponce.

Ethinicty: Puerto Rican
Home: Puerto Rico

Undergraduate: Inter American University of Puerto Rico (La Inter)
Degrees: B.S. Biology, A.A.S. Business Administration
GPA 3.70
Science GPA 3.60

Graduate: Univeristy of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus
Current Program: Master of Public Health - Epidemiology

MCAT (6P, 9V, 9B, M) 24 M

Research:

Summer Medical and Research Training Program, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX

Summer Program:

Minority Medical Education Program, Yale University School of Medicine

Honors:

Magna Cum Laude
Biology Major Highest GPA Class of 2006 Medal - IAUPR, Arecibo Campus
Dean's List

Other Experiences:

U.S. Army Reserve, Rank: SGT, MOS: Power Generation Equipment Repairer, Combat Lifesaver Qualified, Active Duty: Operation Iraqi Freedom, Nov 2003-Jan 2005

Emergency Medical Technician - Basic

Currently taking introductory French at Alliance Francaise of Puerto Rico

Other info:

Currently applying for the Army's Health Professions Scholarship Program

:)

Boricua_doc you are my new found hero for opening up this post. Good job man! Thanks Mig26x for the words spoken. I hope I have the opportunity to express myself to the admissions commitee. Anyway, keep up the posts guys. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mig26x. Could you tell us PONCE fans about your clinical rotation experiences at PONCE? Also, I was loking at their website and it showed some affiliated hospitals. University of Arizona Medical Center is listed under affiliations. What is that all about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Boricua_doc, valek, scoot doc and the rest
Nice to see you guys are so enthusiastic about studying in PR. I did part of BA in psych at the InterAmercian University (metro), so as you can imagine I am also glad that fellow Inter alumni are interested in med, especially my med schoo (RCM). Boricua_Doc I also did an MPH in epidemiology at RCM and looking at your creds they are pretty similar to mine give or take a few things. If and when any of you guys get accepted let me know, I know the president of the 2010 PSM class. He's a pretty cool guy. You can also ask Mig26x who as a recent graduate of Ponce can give you great advice.
If you are accepted to RCM and decide to attend contact me so I can fill you in on the ins and outs or life as a med student a RCM. Anyway, all of you have good numbers so I have no doubt you will be joining us next year. :thumbup:

Dr Who

I am applying to PSM, RCM and UCC. Here is a bit of my profile:

Ethnicity: Hispanic-American
Home State: PR

Undergraduate Institution: Interamerican University of Puerto Rico
Area of Study: Biological/Life Sciences

Application Year: 2007
MCAT Score: VR 7, PS 11, BS 9, N
BCPM GPA: 4.00
Overall GPA: 4.00

Brief Profile:
STUDENT AND PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS MEMBERSHIPS
American Society for Microbiology
Interamerican University of Puerto Rico Honor Society
American Chemical Society
Interamerican University of Puerto Rico Pre-Med Society CADUCEUS

HONORS/AWARDS

ABRCMS Travel Grant, American Society for Microbiology, Washington D.C.
Best Academic Organization Award, Interamerican University, San Germán, Puerto Rico
Academic Excellence Award, Interamerican University,San Germán, Puerto Rico (2)
The Interamerican University Rector’s List Award,Interamerican University, San Germán, Puerto Rico (2)
Leadership Award, Interamerican University, San Germán, Puerto Rico (2)
The National Dean’s List Award, Educational Communications, Austin, Texas (2)
Interamerican University Honor Program Scholarship San Germán, Puerto Rico
Excellence Student Award (4.0 HS GPA), Department of Education,San Juan Puerto Rico

RESEARCH EXPERIENCE

Interamerican University San Germán, Puerto Rico

The research focused on the development of a new culture medium to successfully isolate the bacterium Vibrio cholerae from sea products.

The University of Iowa Carver Collage of Medicine, Iowa City, IA

The research focused on the identification of the physiological role of Drp1 in mitochondrial fusion and fusion dynamics and morphology regulation.

The University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico

The research focused on the study of post-transcriptional gene regulation, particularly the processes of mRNA turnover and protein translation, and their key regulators.

LEADERSHIP

Interamerican University of Puerto Rico Pre-Med Society CADUCEUS President & Treasurer

What do you guys think???? Do I have good chances in any of these schools????

I think so...:thumbup:

Can any body comment on PONCE's 3rd year clinical rotations. Quality? Variety? Affiliated Hospitals? etc.

Scootdoc,

3rd year rotations:

Internal medicine: one month in San Lucas II hospital. Was a good experience, not many patients as Dama Hospital which was a very good experience. 1 month in San lucas II hospital and 1 month in Damas Hospital. this are the two most important hospitals of the south region in PR. You'll see alot of different pathologies and some very good cases. You have to present cases etc.

Pediatrics: One month in Damas Hospital (2 weeks in floor and 2 weeks in well baby area) and the other month is in Yauco (a municipality 30 minutes to the west of ponce). The Yauco experience is not that good as the Damas Hospital experience, due to volume of patients and the difference between the hospital. In yauco you go through the Peds floor, and two privates doctors office. They let you see patiens alone and then you present the cases to them.

OB/Gyn: It depends on the Attending. But the one that I had it was Damas Hospital and San Lucas 2 hosp. VERY GOOD, lots of cessarean, vaginal deliveries, histerectomies, we had a case of a teratoma (very interesting). I did 2 vaginal deliveries with the attending by my side telling me what to do. Depending on the attending he lets you go to his office, mine didnt have a problem with that and I ended up doing alot of pelvic exams, pap smears, breast exam, ultrasounds pregnancy etc.

Psych: one month. two possible sites. Hosp Centro Medico de Mayaguez (largest city of the west region of PR) or a Psych. clinic the schools runs with the government in Aguadilla (north of Mayaguez, northwest). I did mine in Aguadilla and it was a pretty good experience. Unfortunately for the patients psych diseases have a high prevalence in PR, but good for students. I saw patients on my own and then presented the cases. In this rotation you have to look for a place to stay in Aguadilla, to mayaguez if you dont mind driving 45 minutes to one hour every day then you can drive from ponce every morning.

Surgery: 1 month of general surgery: depending on attending. My attending had patients in all 5 hospitals of the ponce area. San lucas 1 and 2, Damas hospital, San cristobal hosp and Dr Pila Hospital. ALOT of surgeries!!! ALOT, ALOT!!! and different cases!! I remember my last day we performed 8 cholecystectomy by laparoscopy. The other month is divided between Cardio Thoracic surgery (2 weeks): I saw one bypass surgery per day (4-6 hours long) and plastic surgery (2 weeks): entertanining.

Family medicine: 1 month: private physicians office. One in Ponce and one in a town north of ponce. very laid back rotation.

You have the OSCE at the end of each rotation which is a standarized patient exam and the shelf exam.

To all Ponce and RCM graduates,

I have some questions about the financial aspect of attending to med school in Puerto Rico, and I was wondering if any of the Ponce and RCM alumni could help me out.

How did you finance your edcuation?

When taking loans, how much is too much?

How much debt should I expect after completing the MD at Ponce or RCM?

How does the amount of debt of the RCM and Ponce MDs compares to the amount of debt of graduates from other U.S. schools, Mexico or the Dominican Republic?

Thanks!

To all Ponce and RCM graduates,

I have some questions about the financial aspect of attending to med school in Puerto Rico, and I was wondering if any of the Ponce and RCM alumni could help me out.

How did you finance your edcuation?

When taking loans, how much is too much?

How much debt should I expect after completing the MD at Ponce or RCM?

How does the amount of debt of the RCM and Ponce MDs compares to the amount of debt of graduates from other U.S. schools, Mexico or the Dominican Republic?

Thanks!

Boricua_Doc
I'm still a student ar RCM but its should still be relevent to what you ask. Currently tuition at the University of Puerto Rico school of medicine is $6,650 a year. Compared to other schools its a steal. I'm not too sure but Ponce and UCC's basic tuition hover around $20,000/ yr. Keep in mind that this is just tuition. There are other fees involved with med school that have to be taken into account. At RCM, for instance, you have student fees, tech fees and such which add about $2,000 to the basic tuition. So in the end your REAL cost for attending med school @RCM is close to $9,500/ yr.
School related and personal expenses also have to be taken into account. You have to set aside money for rent, utilities, transportation, books and food. A good laptop computer is a MUST in med school. You can survive without one, but your life will be much easier with one as RCM has a significant part of educational material (recorded lectures, powerpoint presentations, quizzes, etc) online and they assume all students have laptops. If you decide to buy all the books recommended by faculty brand new, expect to pay close to $1,000 for first year alone. I recommend you buy most text books used to save on expenses.
The school has a formula whereby they estimate student needs and base loan amounts on that. First year maximum subsidized loan amounts permited by the school is a bit over $27,000. For other years it varies a bit, but not too much. In my case, I took out a $20,000 laon to cover my first year expenses and $13,000 for second year. Med students at Ponce and UCC have to take out significantly higher loan amounts. I know a student who took a $38,500 loan this year to cover his expenses. I expect to have a total med school debt somewhere in the mid to upper 50's. Add to that undergrad and grad school debts, I would probably end up close to $90,000 in the hole by fourth year!
Compared to US mainland med schools, tuition in any of the three PR schools are low. Tuition at many PUBLIC med schools in the US are gaining on $30,000/ yr! Private med school tuition can run you up to $40,000/ yr in some cases.
If you can pay or have parents that can pay your tuition then count yourself lucky. For many of us, med loans are an inevitable part of studying medicine. We just try to be a bit thrifty (not much time to spend money while in med school anyway) and take out the least amount possible. In the end it shouldnt matter, they are there to help you so long as you dont abuse the priveledge.
A word of caution though. Many banks will bend over backwards to hand you credit cards with the mere mention that you are a med student. Get one or two credit cards at most and try to use them responsibly. There was one cas where a fellow med student (a shopaholic) went crazy with her credit cards and already owes more money in credit cards than in student loans. With the crazy interest rates some of those cards have you can understand how that can be a problem.
Well hope that helped some. Take care.

Dr Who

Hi Valek, I'm also applying to UCC and Ponce. In another thread Scootdoc mentioned that he had called Ponce and they said that they don't start extending interviews until mid-November for people that live in Puerto Rico. For the mainlanders it can take up to Feb or March. I am sure they are going to invite you. You have a great profile.:)

I meant the Class of 2011; I'm applying for the Ponce MSI class that starts in August 2007.

As far as I know, the Ponce interviewing process starts in mid-November and lasts until mid-February, so nobody has even been interviewed yet. However, if you want to visit the school, at least to take a look to where you are applying to, you can do so by calling the admissions office. I know from my own experience that they will happily arrange a little tour around the school for you.

I started this thread so that everybody applying to Ponce could share information about the admissions process, interviews, general information, etc. Moreover, I think it would be a good idea that we can get to know each other early because it can be handy when looking for housing in Ponce (mostly for that people that is not familiar with the Ponce area like myself).

The reason why I am posting here is because most people that post threads about the Puerto Rican Medical Schools do so either here or in the Latin American Forum. In addition, I did not want this thread to get lost in the Pre-Allopathic [MD] Forum.

Besides, Puerto Rico is hard to classiffy: The Island of Puerto Rico is a Spanish speaking commonwealth of the USA localized in the Caribbean with LCME accredited schools, wich means I can post in many different forums.:laugh:

I do understand I just dislike about 50% of the posters on SDN, they are unprofessional snots.

You should be proud to go to a school that is US MD, you are not and will not be a FMG like me!

Good Luck!:luck:

Oldpro....why is it that every time I read your posts you are cryin' and bitchin' about something? Take your inferiority complex elsewhere..... I'm going to start a thread just for you so I don't have to read your ramblings. I think I will call it, Oldpro's Bitchfest 2006. If someone else has a better name feel free to post.

Oldpro....why is it that every time I read your posts you are cryin' and bitchin' about something? Take your inferiority complex elsewhere..... I'm going to start a thread just for you so I don't have to read your ramblings. I think I will call it, Oldpro's Bitchfest 2006. If someone else has a better name feel free to post.

Scoot doc,
I have been on SDN a long while and unfortunately I have to agree with oldpro's comment. He does make a valid point. Take a look at many of my old posts, for instance, and you will see how I have had to refute on many occasions comments made by people about PR schools. Too many times I have seen people who know nothing about PR or its med schools pass off opinion as fact. Too many times these opinions are negative. I dont have to tell you that many people who know nothing about the island take them as fact. I, and many PR med students here have taken it upon ourselves to try and set the record straight as best as we can, but the amount of ignorance, malice and elitist people with inferiority complex out there is huge.
Just my two cents

Dr Who

Thanks Dr. WHO that's what I feel, I'm proud of the people who stick it out at all schools, many do move on to residency and do well but for some reason these boards are full of hate postings and nothing but put downs.

I do not mind truth, but opinion posted as facts and truth are not in the right context In My Opinion.

Yes I will never post that Caribbean is first choice but in the Case Of PR it is a first choice, When I think of them I think of the US not the Caribbean.

Le hable hoy a Gladys (la secretaria) y me dijo que ya han empezado invitar entravistar. Borricua, usted es residente de PR, le han comunicado algo? alguien mas?

Que Viva PONCE

Borricua, usted es residente de PR, le han comunicado algo?

ScootDoc,

Sí, soy residente de Puerto Rico; vivo en la costa norte de la Isla.

Hasta el momento no he recibido invitación de PSM. Creo que hay que ser paciente con las escuelas de Puerto Rco.

Cuando te inviten a entrevista nos dejas saber.

¡Buena suerte!

Yes I am a resident of Puerto Rico; I live in the northern shore of the Island.

I have not received an invitation from PSM yet. One must be patient with Puerto Rico's schools.

When you get your invitation let us know.

Good luck!

Boricua_doc

The University of Puerto Rico (Recinto) started to offer interviews. I know this because one of my friends received an invitation for next Tuesday.

:D

Guys keep us posted on how your interview went. If you got an invite, then I will most likely see you around next year. :thumbup:

Ok...I'm apparently a total dumba$$. I hadn't even considered PR schools as an option. SDN has really shot my learning curve of this process through the roof. Forgetting the argument about where this thread should live on SDN for a moment, I had a few questions:

1) How are the programs recognized in terms of residency applications? This may seem offensive to those who attend these schools already, but I truly don't know. IMG vs. these schools - I would imagine are perceived differently but to what degree?

2) Are the classes in English or Spanish? I'm from Texas so it isn't a problem either way...I've adapted so far.:laugh:

3) Is there an admissions preference for local vs continental US citizens?

These questions will probably answered by investigating the schools' websites, but I thought some of you folks could offer some insight.

I asked the secretary about the mainland student interviews and she said that they begin in March. Has anyone from Puerto Rico had an interview yet and if so, how did it go?

To those of you who already interviewed at UPR-RCM,

The admission or rejection letter arrives two weeks after the interview. A close friend of mine just got accepted two days ago and he is planning on attending so there goes one sit (99 to go).

Keep your fingers crossed and good luck.

boricua_doc

Thus, our 3 SOM are accredited by the AAMC. So, your degree from here is as good as any USA mainland SOM (allopathic medicine, not OD).

Just to clarify...is not OD (Optometrists)...is DO: Doctor in Osteopathy. PR schools are MD not DO. Good luck!

Its not that hard to classify. Its considered an american school and the people that graduate from there are american grads. Pretty straight forward.

Have any mainland students heard anything from Ponce?

No word yet, but I was notified by the secretary that mainland students are not asked for interviews until March. We still have a while to wait.

Interviews at Ponce arein Spanish right?

Ehh I dont use my Spanish that much lately...

I spoke with the secretary today and she told me that February they would review my application and that mainland interviews begin in February. I have read that the interviews are done in spanish and in english in order to assess your ability to speak both languages. The english portion would be to make sure you are fluent enough in English in order to pass the exams which are BR style. We should keep each other posted as we (mainlanders) hear from anyone regarding interviews.

Thanks ekimsurfer. I guess interviews will be soon. Good luck!

Well today I got an invite for UCC so maybe Ponce invites will be coming out soon.

Mrs. Cintron at Ponce said invites should be out at the end of February into March. Good luck everyone!

Woo Yeah!!! I was invited for an interview with Ponce on Feb 22!!!!! I am excited.

Hi!

I would like to know if anyone has heard of how many seats are left at RCM and if they are still interviewing.

Also, does anyone know the USMLE pass rates for the 3 PR schools (PSM, UCC and RCM)?

I will be reserving my space at PSM as I have already been accepted. Who else is in???