Ponce School of Medicine Class of 2013 PSM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMdude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all those who have been accepted, and will be attending Ponce School of Medicine in the Fall of 2009.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been accepting (I'm planning on applying to med school in June of '10) but I would love to know more about Puerto Rican schools. I'm fluent in Spanish, as a second language. How hard is it for non-hispanic, non-Puerto Rican people (I'm a CA resident) to get admitted?

As far as Im concerned, it is as competitive as any other mainland Medical School; maybe even more, considering the fact that you have to be fluent in both Spanish and English. As you may already know, All four schools in Puerto Rico are LCME accredited. University of Puerto Rico is pretty much impossible to get in unless your a resident of Puerto Rico. From what I have heard, the rest of the schools have around a 6:4 ratio of Puerto Rico mainland students vs. US Mainland, so you do have a good shot of getting in with a decent MCAT and GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview back in january but still havent heard anything, I am very anxious. When were u interviewed UMdude?

My interview was in December and I heard a week or so afterwards through the mail; best of luck to you let me know if you have any questions

Elizabeth- you are driving me crazyyy!!!!! We just need to wait, we should know in like 3 weeks now! We'll be okay, no matter what we're going to be doctors!!!

I know but I just want to know

Few people I know have been accepted and are attending, they just don't use these forums. For now I might be part of this class, depends on what RCM has to say!

Anyone know how many spots they've filled so far? How many left for US students?

I am a US student, I do not know until when they are giving interviews. I would advise you to call them and ask them what is the status of your file because I know a couple of people from US who have interviewed already.

Members don't see this ad :)
There were two interviews and they were focused on me, who I was? why medicine? Why PR? They were both in spanish. Also, what is the main issue in healthcare today? These are the ones I remember, if I recall something else I will let you know.

Well I called them because I had an interview the second week of Jan on SJB and UCC to see if they could schedule me for that same week and the same day I called them they send me an email with the appoitment.

No, I called them to see if they were going to offer me an interview since I was going to be in PR that week and they gave it to me, Mrs. Cintron told me that since I was from out of the state i could do that not to waste so much money in plane fares and hotels, so. Anyways, the committee is meeting at the end of this month

Last edited:
Porcelana,
I actually showed up at Ponce to see if I could get a tour since I was in PR for an interview at SJB. They sat me down for an interview that day. I did hear from Mrs. Colon that interviews for US students that are not of Puerto Rican descent start in March. Hope that puts you at ease.

Hi Everyone,

I heard that if you are a US student applying to PR schools you don't get interviewed until March if you are not of Puerto Rican descent? Is this true? Does anyone know what the time line is for these people? My family is from South America so I am fluent in Spanish but I live in NY and I have not heard anything from them. I am very worried. Thanks for your help

Adelle

I guess a number of people were told that. I'm not sure if it's really true since there have been a number of mainland students that have already interviewed at Ponce. I would absolutely call them and check on your status.

It is true, if not from PR then you start getting interviews in March, unless you have another interview in PR you can call them and they will accomodate you (if they are going to offer you an interview of course)

There are pretty good statistics for those who get interviewed I think is like an average of a 85-90% chance of getting in once you have been interviewed. This information I have obtained from other threads so I am not sure about this.

Hi guys,

So I have an interview coming up at Ponce March 12th? I also have one coming for UCC but I don't know the date yet. Does anyone know where is the best place to stay for interview (close by and that) Also, what were you interviews like? How long were they? Single or group? What kind of questions did they ask you? Can you recall any specific ones? Also, did they ask you about your academic record?

Thanks a lot.

Adelle

Hi guys,

So I have an interview coming up at Ponce March 12th? I also have one coming for UCC but I don't know the date yet. Does anyone know where is the best place to stay for interview (close by and that) Also, what were you interviews like? How long were they? Single or group? What kind of questions did they ask you? Can you recall any specific ones? Also, did they ask you about your academic record?

Thanks a lot.

Adelle

First off, good luck on your interview. You can stay at the Howard Johnson located in Mercedita (near Ponce's airport), or the Ponce Hilton depending on your budget.

Interviews were around 30-50 min, can't recall.

Single interview in my case, but I've known people that have had group interviews.

The questions are diverse, like for example they ask you about your school background/academics/mcat score etc. Why you want to be a doctor... What health issues in PR do you think are the most important, couple of ethical questions etc etc.

Hope this helps a bit.

Fred

Porcelana,

Did you receive a confirmation by E-mail or regular mail? I talked to them on the phone and they send they would send me one but I haven't heard from them yet. I don't want to make flight and hotel reservations until I know though.

Hi Porcelana,

I talked to them today again and they told me they would send me a confirmation through E-mail soon. I moved my interview up because the only time that was available at UCC was March 6th. So now I think I am doing March 5th and March 6th. What about you?

Thanks,
Adelle

as of right now, I will be attending PSM although im still waiting for RCM to tell me if i've been accepted or not .
I was accepted in Caguas and Bayamon too, but out of these three i feel ponce is the best one, with the best facilities and best preparation

I talked to the secretary of RCM and she told me that by March 30th they were going to have informed everyone who had been accepted so.. by early April we'll probably know who will be attending what medschool for sure since i know many ppl who have a seat separated in PSM but are still waiting for RCM's response

good luck to everyone!

Hey abbc, I had the same dilemma as you. Hopefully you don't have to spend money reserving your seat at PSM and then get accepted at RCM. I think its too expensive, $1,000 to reserve your seat!

Hey abbc, I had the same dilemma as you. Hopefully you don't have to spend money reserving your seat at PSM and then get accepted at RCM. I think its too expensive, $1,000 to reserve your seat!

I had to reserve it! PSm accepted me like 3 months ago and im still waiting for RCM to answer me so I literally couldnt wait for their response since PSm only gives you like 20 days to reserve the seat. bahh

Yikes. At least you already know that you're going to med school. Don't worry too much about RCM, they have 100 seats and chances are if you got accepted at the other three you'll get into the last one too. Good luck.

By the way, did you interview at RCM and got a letter from them afterward?

Porcelana- I know they usually only take 20 from the states. Any idea how many they interview?

Yikes. At least you already know that you're going to med school. Don't worry too much about RCM, they have 100 seats and chances are if you got accepted at the other three you'll get into the last one too. Good luck.

By the way, did you interview at RCM and got a letter from them afterward?

umm no i didn't ..

was i supposed to get one???

umm no i didn't ..

was i supposed to get one???
I was told that you were supposed to receive a letter of acceptance or a letter saying that you were 'waitlisted' or something. If I were you and really wanted to get in @ RCM I'd call the admissions office *DAILY!* asking about your application. Good luck with that.

I was told that you were supposed to receive a letter of acceptance or a letter saying that you were 'waitlisted' or something. If I were you and really wanted to get in @ RCM I'd call the admissions office *DAILY!* asking about your application. Good luck with that.

thanks!
I've called a number of times. I haven't received anything bc the committee was supposed to meet today.. march 17th .. so i guess ill be on the look out for their letter from tomorrow on

I actually showed up at Ponce to see if I could get a tour since I was in PR for an interview at SJB. They sat me down for an interview that day...

I like your idea. :thumbup:

I'm going to try it next month. The risk is if they say, "How dare you show up here without an interview! REJECTED."

Is anyone who is accepted definitely planning on going to Ponce?

Porcelana- I think last year they had around 900 applications so yea it definitely increased this year! But you have to think of how many probably DONT have the 6 credits in Spanish etc. Anyway, I interviewed in January, still haven't heard- I think I'm on an "unoffical waitlist", basically until they end interviewing and see if there is anyone better, I think I won't hear anything. I'm cool with that, I have another option but would LOVE Ponce. As for the committee meeting- it's VERY sporadic, sometimes they meet when they say they will, sometimes they don't. It's usually at the end of the month, but then they sometimes move it to the beginning of next month...who knows. They interview through april, so we should know things (if we haven't before then) after that time. People have been accepted up to two weeks before class starts! The waiting game sucks!!

Rubia- Zad33 and UMDUDE have been accepted (both from Florida).

By getting into the waiting list in Ponce, there is a very good chance you will get in. To my knowledge, the last two years every person who has been waitlisted has ended up getting accepted in the end. Ponce is known to accept people days before orientation starts. So, that being said: Do not lose hope!

I have created a group on facebook for the PSM 2013 Class! Anyone (accepted, waitlisted, still waiting, etc) is welcome to join!

Best of luck to everyone and I hope to see you guys very shortly.