Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbdo04

tbdo04
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Can any one give me an idea of what the training programs/residency programs are like at Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital? In particular the Emergency Medicine residency? Any info is appreciated.

ptdo

Members don't see this ad.

I have been fortunate enough to be a base student at POH for two years now....it is a medium (~150 bed) community hospital about 25 miles north and west of Detroit. The base population is primarily blue collar; GM is very big here. It is located within Oakland County which, by and large, is a very wealthy community, save some lesser areas.

The hospital has been a teaching hospital for some years and from what I see, the education is quite good. I'm sure you are aware that there are differences in training between all and osteo programs. I think one of the greatest differences is that we do more actual "work" early. You will work hard at POH! You will see patients, you will do procedures, you will take responsibility. This program has at its heart that medicine is about treating people and learning as you go. There is no "please read this book and come bak when you are ready to pass the Boards" here!

There are some 19 residency programs, so there is exposure to all areas of medicine. For being a smaller hospital, there is not much that we send out for/to, and there is a large primary care base on the outpatient clinic.

There are three ER programs: straight ER and then ER combined with either FP or IM. The programs fill each year. The vast majority of admissions are through the ER, so it is usually very busy.

One of the issues about this program is that we see a lot of urban/social trouble (i.e., drugs, EtOH, etc) and a lot of Medicaid and uninsured people. Advantage? exposed to different types of pathology.
Disadvantage? a lot of the same people with the same problems and the same frustrations as a physician.
Ancillary staff in the ER is excellent and they enjoy teaching and interacting with students, interns, and residents. Many of the former residents are now attendings there.
Positives: Dr. Michael Doyle and Dr. Tressa Gardner, the director of the residency program an the ER, respectively. Both enjoy teaching and working with less experienced doctors.
Negatives: see disadvantages. This can be tough.

feel free to PM me with other questions.