poo and blood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arctic Char

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when patients' hemorrhoids rupture, why do they never become bacteremic? i mean, direct feces/blood contact?

it must be a "direction of flow" issue . . . the mild hydrostatic pressure of blood preventing colonization or even attachment of microbes within transient fecal material.

these are the things i think about. like Dr Jerry Seinfeld

"what is the deeeaaall with lamshades????"

Members don't see this ad.

when patients' hemorrhoids rupture, why do they never become bacteremic? i mean, direct feces/blood contact?

it must be a "direction of flow" issue . . . the mild hydrostatic pressure of blood preventing colonization or even attachment of microbes within transient fecal material.

these are the things i think about. like Dr Jerry Seinfeld

"what is the deeeaaall with lamshades????"

Remember that bacteremia is not the same thing as sepsis. An immunocompetant human can deal with a degree of bacteremia, that's why we have an immune system.

yeah, that occured to me right before you replied.

Members don't see this ad :)
"It all comes down to poo"
Anyone seen the recent scrubs episode?

I think Tired's right. Probably an innoculation dose issue.

remember also that you become bacteremic every time you brush your teeth. god bless leukocytes.

remember also that you become bacteremic every time you brush your teeth. god bless leukocytes.
This is why I neither brush my teeth nor defecate. Who needs all that risk.

Isn't there a buttload of lymphatic tissue in that area too?

Maybe because hemorrhoids are minor veins, and not big huge arteries full of oxygenated blood? I have no idea. Kind of like when you scrape your arm and it gets infected...you get inflammation and swelling that is localized to the injury, not full-blown bacteremia.

yeah doctorp82...I think that recent Scrubs episode was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV. God I love that show...Probably the best tv episode adaption into a musical too

Ruptured 'rhoids isn't the only thing that can introduce fecal matter to the blood. Eat a bunch of cheese (or whatever your constipating agent of choice may be) and you may get an anal fissure when you try and strain that clay-like feces out. Every time you wipe your a$$ you pull billions of intestinal bacteria across the affected area. I've always wondered how that doesn't cause a serious infection.

I also wonder how I end up posting on threads like this!