1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This Wednesday we're hosting our first-ever Instagram takeover with UF College of Dentistry student, Carson. Follow @studentdoctornetwork on Instagram to get a glimpse of life as a D1, ask questions and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

poor diagnostic scores...is there hope?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by birdman12345, Nov 28, 2005.

1. birdman12345

birdman12345 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I just took took my diagnostic for the first time and here are my scores: please note this was without any knowledge of the test and without any review.
    AA 12
    bio 14
    gchem 14
    ochem 12
    reading 12
    quant 11
    PAT 14

I plan on taking Kaplan and studying for 3 months hard. Is there hope for me to bring my scores up to a competitve score? is this normal for someones' first attempt at the test?

2. joebucks

joebucks Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I got pretty much the same scores as you. If those are the Kaplan diags. When I took the test my actual scores were well above the diags. The DAT (IS) a test you can study for. So, study hard!

PS this should be moved to the DAT forum

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yellow Snow

Yellow Snow Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So much of it is understanding the test through repetition. I would take all the practice examples you can get your hands on and after each one focus on why you got questions wrong and also why you got questions right.

I haven't taken the DAT diag. yet but when I took the LSAT my diag. test had me at about 77th percentile. Actual result was a 97th percentile. It is all about familiarizing yourself with the test and how the questions are asked.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bkwash

bkwash Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yeah you can pull that up easily esp. with three months of HARDCORE study. I had been out of school for a couple of years and my kaplan diag was horrible so I really had to dig in. Good luck and work hard!!! PM me if you want to buy some of my material I prepared with...

5. tinman831

tinman831 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Staff Member Administrator Dentist Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think your scores were better than my kaplan diagnostic scores. I never knew it was possible to get single digit scores in some sections ;)

After you sit down and study for it, you'll find your scores will improve a lot.

6. CSade469

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    My scores were similar, i took them for the first time in 10/24/05, I am planning to retake them, around January 24. I have purchased the Kaplan online, top scorer, and Baron. My question is, do you think that is too late for 2006 cycle? I am applying to Arizona, Pacific, Howard, Detroit Mercy, Creighton, Meharry, VCU, WVA. I have received 2nd app. from Arizona and Creighton, but i'm afraid to send my DAT scores, b/c of fear of rejection. What should i do?