1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

poor diagnostic scores...is there hope?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by birdman12345, Nov 28, 2005.

1. birdman12345

birdman12345 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I just took took my diagnostic for the first time and here are my scores: please note this was without any knowledge of the test and without any review.
    AA 12
    bio 14
    gchem 14
    ochem 12
    reading 12
    quant 11
    PAT 14

I plan on taking Kaplan and studying for 3 months hard. Is there hope for me to bring my scores up to a competitve score? is this normal for someones' first attempt at the test?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. joebucks

joebucks Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I got pretty much the same scores as you. If those are the Kaplan diags. When I took the test my actual scores were well above the diags. The DAT (IS) a test you can study for. So, study hard!

PS this should be moved to the DAT forum

4. Yellow Snow

Yellow Snow Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So much of it is understanding the test through repetition. I would take all the practice examples you can get your hands on and after each one focus on why you got questions wrong and also why you got questions right.

I haven't taken the DAT diag. yet but when I took the LSAT my diag. test had me at about 77th percentile. Actual result was a 97th percentile. It is all about familiarizing yourself with the test and how the questions are asked.

5. bkwash

bkwash Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yeah you can pull that up easily esp. with three months of HARDCORE study. I had been out of school for a couple of years and my kaplan diag was horrible so I really had to dig in. Good luck and work hard!!! PM me if you want to buy some of my material I prepared with...

6. tinman831

tinman831 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Administrator Dentist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think your scores were better than my kaplan diagnostic scores. I never knew it was possible to get single digit scores in some sections ;)

After you sit down and study for it, you'll find your scores will improve a lot.

7. CSade469

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    My scores were similar, i took them for the first time in 10/24/05, I am planning to retake them, around January 24. I have purchased the Kaplan online, top scorer, and Baron. My question is, do you think that is too late for 2006 cycle? I am applying to Arizona, Pacific, Howard, Detroit Mercy, Creighton, Meharry, VCU, WVA. I have received 2nd app. from Arizona and Creighton, but i'm afraid to send my DAT scores, b/c of fear of rejection. What should i do?