Poor eyesight in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulMed23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm just turned 25, and had my last eye exam done in January, with the glasses Rx:

OD -8.00
OS -8.50

However, recently I noticed my eyesight getting progressively more blurry, so I got it checked out again yesterday. My new Rx is:

OD -8.50
OS -9.25

Are any of you in the same boat? I know that the amount of studying done usually causes eyes to worsen, but I'm worried about it especially since my myopia is so bad and it still hasn't stabilized either. Some words of comfort would help out a ton :/

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

I'm just turned 25, and had my last eye exam done in January, with the glasses Rx:

OD -8.00
OS -8.50

However, recently I noticed my eyesight getting progressively more blurry, so I got it checked out again yesterday. My new Rx is:

OD -8.50
OS -9.25

Are any of you in the same boat? I know that the amount of studying done usually causes eyes to worsen, but I'm worried about it especially since my myopia is so bad and it still hasn't stabilized either. Some words of comfort would help out a ton :/

-11, -12, you're not alone.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you feel like your specialty options are restricted because of your eyesight?

No, someone worse than me is a Vascular Surgery fellow. He wears goggles in the OR. There is Lasik and when it gets worse, new glasses, and then worse there's corneal implants, I'm sure there'll be more in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys

OD -8.00
OS -8.50

OD -8.50
OS -9.25

My vision is bad enough I had difficulty during my surgery rotation seeing the suture, this was without anything to adjust my optics. I should probably get glasses at some point.