• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Poor freshman year GPA w/ upward trend - can I still get into medical school?

Voskei

Apr 18, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
I received a 3.3 gpa my freshman year, due to a few factors (Very much including my naive freshman self). As of the end of my sophomore year, I now have a 3.61 cumulative gpa. I am hoping to continue this upward (3.9-4.0 gpa/term) trend with a 3.7 cumulative gpa at the end of the my junior year, before applying to medical school.

I'm looking to score a 515+ on the MCAT, and my ecs include nonclinical volunteering through the crisis textline, leadership in a club, shadowing, an internship at a rehab clinic, tutoring during my freshman year, research assistance in a lab (Trajectory to co-author on this paper as well), and learning how to administer iCBT to moderately depressed/anxious students (Actual application of this knowledge will be continued through respective organization next year). During my junior year I plan to get more involved in clinical volunteer work.

My question is, do I still have a decent chance at getting into a medical school next year? I will be applying to a wide range of MD programs, not just top schools. What about my chances of getting into more prestigious schools like USC Keck medical or UCSF?

Thank you!

BlackMathMajor

2+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2018
  1. Pre-Medical
Your GPA as it now is won't keep you out of anywhere but the top schools; a 3.7 won't keep you out of Harvard, although if you want to gun high I'd suggest a gap year to get your senior year on your transcripts and apply with a higher GPA and more ECs.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.