poor gpa and poor pcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realysa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know which schools are the easiest to get in? some input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know for sure,but I'd say MUN ( Memorial University of Newfoundland ) is pretty easy to get into.

I'm not going into pharmacy, but I know someone with poor GPA and PCAT that got into a pharmacy school. All the school needed to know was that he completed pre-pharmacy requirements and got a B.A. or B.S. (at least 2.5 GPA though). It's in Las Vegas, Nevada, by the way. Sin City! :cool:

Nevada College of Pharmacy

http://www.nvcp.edu

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a degree in biology or chemistry?

Go to www.aacp.org and look under their student section, then look under enrollment data and then pharmacy school admissions requirements. It gives tables of information for the different schools, including average gpa of schools.

Remember that numbers are just averages and not minimum criteria to be accepted. If you have good pharmacy experience and good lor you have a chance. Right now a lot of schools are struggling with a decline in applications so pharmacy is not as competive to get into......

Just curious -- why are pharmacy school applications on the decline? With starting salaries in the 100K range and the economy as it is, I'd think a lot more people would be considering it.

According to websites that I have read, part of the changing scene in pharmacy is due to a shift in educational programs that began in the early 1990s, when schools started awarding doctorates as their entry-level degree instead of bachelor's degrees.

Much of the decline in applications comes from high school students unwilling to commit six years to their education. Additionally, pharmacy is attracting more and more students with prior degrees.

hi realysa.

try MCP in Boston. i don't think they even require the PCAT.

much luck.

I really wouldn't go for Nevada College of Pharmacy. They have had accreditation issues with AACP.

Pharmacy school is divided into two years of prerequisitesk, and three to four years of actual pharmacy school. Four schools offer a year-round three year program: University of the Pacific (CA), Midwestern University - Glendale (AZ), University of Massachusetts - Worchester(MA), and Nevada College of Pharmacy (NV). One school offers a COMPLETELY online basic curriculum (you attend labs there in the summer), Creighton University (NE).

Right now, the easiest schools to get into are the ones in candidate accreditation. UMass Worchester and Lake Erie are probably the best bets right now.

As for grades, 2.5 with solid pharmacy experience will get you in. E-mail me if you have further questions.

I don't know of to many people who can get in with 2.5. I know that is the minimum at most places but I can hardly see someone with that being sucessful in pharmacy.

Even new programs like Lake Erie can be a little tough to get in. The average gpa is well above 3.0 and there are a couple of applications per admission spots. I know of several people who were waitlisted this year and are trying again.

I think you will see applications pick up for a number of reasons. The biggest problem I see are the pharmacists who are not satisfied and are chasing away new students (Not a reference to anyone on this board). It doesn't take long in retail or hospitals to find pharmacists who wouldn't do it over again, regardless of money. But the same thing can be said about physicians - I have met numerous physicians who told me not to go to med school.

Then again I have met numerous physicians and pharmacists who do really enjoy their work....