Poor GPA, Is my goal unrealistic? Advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NNT90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I've been searching all over the internet looking for advice and suggestions to my situation. I found one similar to my situation in an old post, but I do not know if it'll get any attention if I posted there. I apologize for the wall of text that is about to follow. I am a recent VT graduate with a B.S in Biology. However, my cGPA is 2.33 and my sGPA 2.96. I do not think I have taken all the necessary classes for pre-pharm, but I want to weigh out my chances and options before committing to it. I would like to post some excuse about my poor GPA, but in the end, I can blame no one else except myself. My lack of preparation before entering college and my bad study habits. I started out as a chemical engineer then I switched to chemistry then finally settled with biology. The poor study habit and the upper chemistry courses that I had to take for the chemistry major is more or less what destroyed my GPA. Now I've graduated, I really want to plan out my next step in life and not rush things like I did going in to college.

Given my current GPA and such, is there a chance I can get into Pharmacy school if I put a lot of effort into it or is the idea just too unrealistic to achieve? I am considering taking a pharmacy technician program and get certified then work for a year or two. Also I plan to volunteer at the pharmacy at a nearby hospital for more insight into the field. I'm using the prerequisite list from VCU: http://www.pharmacy.vcu.edu/sub/prospective/pharmd/prereq.aspx. But based on that here are the classes I've taken and the grades, I obtained:

Gen. Bio 1: B
Gen. Bio 1(lab): A-
Gen. Bio 2: B-
Gen. Bio 2(lab): A
Microbiology: C+
Microbiology Lab: C+
Biochemistry: D

Gen. Chem 1: B+
Gen. Chem 1(lab): B
Gen. Chem 2: B (transfer credit from CC)
Gen. Chem 2(lab): B (same as above)

Ochem 1: C
Ochem 1(lab): C
Ochem 2: C+
Ochem 2(lab): C+

Physics 1+lab: C+

Freshmen English 1: AP transfer credit
Freshmen English 2: B+

Calculus: C+ (transfer credit from CC)
Introductory Statistic: A
Biological Statistic: B

Public Speaking: Have not taken
Human Physiology: Have not taken

With all of that taken into consideration, is my ambition just unobtainable? What should I focus my efforts on? What are my options? I understand it is an uphill battle, but is it one I cannot win? Again I am sorry for potentially posting a duplicate situation, but I just hope to obtain insights from someone with experience. I am really at a lost for what my next step should be! I'm only 23, but it just feels like I am letting my life fly by. Any suggestion or comment is much appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

No, it's not hopeless. I would seriously recommend that you volunteer/shadow at a few places before you decided to spend the time and money becoming certified. Pharmacy can be very stressful, especially retail (where most people end up). The field is pretty diverse, and in my opinion, very interesting, but if you can't handle retail, you're probably not going to make it.

You should look into retaking a few classes, primarily organic. You want to have as many A's and B's as possible. Also, check if the schools you are interested in do grade replacement. If they do, then only the highest grade in a class is used in your GPA (PharmCAS counts everything though). Maybe even take a few fluff classes to boost your GPA. Stuff that's not too intensive, like music appreciation, art appreciation, Spanish (if you took it in high school and still remember some), etc.

Another thing to consider is the essays in PharmCAS and the supplemental application (if your chosen schools have one). These are great places to explain your GPA and how you've learned and grown since then. A lot of times an "upward trend" can help you get your foot in the door when you've got a low GPA. You may want to check and see which schools do "closed file" interviews. In these places, your interviewer doesn't know your GPA or background, so it's really your chance to shine without worrying that the interviewer is thinking straight-off that you don't have what it takes.

Good luck!

As long as you meet the GPA requirement, even on the low end, you still have a chance. You should put it some serious volunteer hours and write a really good personal statement. Also, do really well on the PCAT to over shadow your GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the inputs so far. As for retaking courses, can I retake equivalent courses at a nearby institution (ie: VCU) versus the school I got my degree at (VT)? If I already taken Ochem at VT, can I take an equivalent course at VCU as a non-degree student to get the grade up? How does both grade then be calculated? Also is doing a Post-Bacc pre-pharm an option, or is that ruled out because I have a science degree? Sorry I don't know anyone close that has ever been in my situation, and I'm the first in my family to go to college. Everything is brand new to me.

Don't lose hope. I was in your same situation. My grades during undergraduate are not that impressive, and I wasn't super involved in extracurricular activities as compared to others. However, I knew that I wanted to pursue a career in pharmacy, so I did it despite knowing the struggles that I have to overcome.

I got better grades in my 4th year and volunteered at a hospital. I didn't get into pharmacy school the first time, so I took the PTCB exam and got my pharmacy technician license. I got a job at a retail pharmacy to gain more experience and learn customer service. I re-took classes that I did poorly on at a community college. I reflect my determination and improvement in my personal statement, and I was able to get into pharmacy school when I applied the second time.

Bottom line...if pharmacy is what you want to do, don't give up. Always find ways to improve such as re-taking classes and gaining more experience.

In terms of re-taking classes, you have to research or ask the admissions office at that pharmacy school if (1) they accept that course and (2) whether they will replace your old grade (or average the new grade with your old grade). Those are important especially when you're applying for pharmacy school. Some pharmacy school course requirements are different, so make sure to ask each pharmacy school you are applying to. Do not assume that all pharmacy schools have the same course requirements.

I think that you can take courses at a community college without pursuing a degree because I've done it without any problems.

As for your other questions, again, research. The pharmacy school websites are helpful and can answer some of your questions. If it's not there, the admissions office at many pharmacy schools are helpful and can help answer these questions. I can't answer them because it depends on which pharmacy school you are applying to.

I don't want to give anyone a kool aid, unrealistic advice just to calm somebody down. Noting is impossible but your chance is very very low because your GPA did not even make the minimum consideration. Unless you take more classes to improve your GPA, you will not even make it to the first selection for the interview.

Take the PCAT. You need some form of leverage to at least offset your low GPA. Take the test and murder it; we're talking 85-90+.

I had a 2.9 GPA as well when I applied, but got a 91 composite on the PCAT. Aside from scoring pretty badly on RC and VA, the rest of the test was a cakewalk. If I can pull that off, you sure can.

I don't want to give anyone a kool aid, unrealistic advice just to calm somebody down. Noting is impossible but your chance is very very low because your GPA did not even make the minimum consideration. Unless you take more classes to improve your GPA, you will not even make it to the first selection for the interview.

Take the PCAT. You need some form of leverage to at least offset your low GPA. Take the test and murder it; we're talking 85-90+.

I had a 2.9 GPA as well when I applied, but got a 91 composite on the PCAT. Aside from scoring pretty badly on RC and VA, the rest of the test was a cakewalk. If I can pull that off, you sure can.

Sound advice.

Hi. I've been searching all over the internet looking for advice and suggestions to my situation. I found one similar to my situation in an old post, but I do not know if it'll get any attention if I posted there. I apologize for the wall of text that is about to follow. I am a recent VT graduate with a B.S in Biology. However, my cGPA is 2.33 and my sGPA 2.96. I do not think I have taken all the necessary classes for pre-pharm, but I want to weigh out my chances and options before committing to it. I would like to post some excuse about my poor GPA, but in the end, I can blame no one else except myself. My lack of preparation before entering college and my bad study habits. I started out as a chemical engineer then I switched to chemistry then finally settled with biology. The poor study habit and the upper chemistry courses that I had to take for the chemistry major is more or less what destroyed my GPA. Now I've graduated, I really want to plan out my next step in life and not rush things like I did going in to college.

Given my current GPA and such, is there a chance I can get into Pharmacy school if I put a lot of effort into it or is the idea just too unrealistic to achieve? I am considering taking a pharmacy technician program and get certified then work for a year or two. Also I plan to volunteer at the pharmacy at a nearby hospital for more insight into the field. I'm using the prerequisite list from VCU: http://www.pharmacy.vcu.edu/sub/prospective/pharmd/prereq.aspx. But based on that here are the classes I've taken and the grades, I obtained:

Gen. Bio 1: B
Gen. Bio 1(lab): A-
Gen. Bio 2: B-
Gen. Bio 2(lab): A
Microbiology: C+
Microbiology Lab: C+
Biochemistry: D

Gen. Chem 1: B+
Gen. Chem 1(lab): B
Gen. Chem 2: B (transfer credit from CC)
Gen. Chem 2(lab): B (same as above)

Ochem 1: C
Ochem 1(lab): C
Ochem 2: C+
Ochem 2(lab): C+

Physics 1+lab: C+

Freshmen English 1: AP transfer credit
Freshmen English 2: B+

Calculus: C+ (transfer credit from CC)
Introductory Statistic: A
Biological Statistic: B

Public Speaking: Have not taken
Human Physiology: Have not taken

With all of that taken into consideration, is my ambition just unobtainable? What should I focus my efforts on? What are my options? I understand it is an uphill battle, but is it one I cannot win? Again I am sorry for potentially posting a duplicate situation, but I just hope to obtain insights from someone with experience. I am really at a lost for what my next step should be! I'm only 23, but it just feels like I am letting my life fly by. Any suggestion or comment is much appreciated. Thank you.

do good on PCAT..then you will have a chance. by the way, 23? man, you still have lot more things to do.. take your time.

Unless you take more classes to improve your GPA, you will not even make it to the first selection for the interview.
16.gif

Unless you take more classes to improve your GPA, you will not even make it to the first selection for the interview.
16.gif

Depending on his ethnicity, PCAT, and luck (great LOR and extracurriculars), he may get a shot at the lower tier schools.