Poor MCAT VR score after high practice scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virginiayankee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I haven't taken the MCAT but anything can happen. I had a friend who was scoring 10's on verbal and ended up with a 13 on the real thing. However, there's many people on SDN who were scoring 12/13 and end up barely with a 10.

So basically, anything can happen.

Hope for the best, expect the worst, and make a plan from there.

But there's no point in worrying about it now. The test is over and you should relax. :]

Is it common for someone who has always done well on Verbal Reading (starting at 11 on practice tests before studying, getting up to 12s and 13s consistently on the later AAMCs, never getting below an 11) to do below their range on the real MCAT? I'm only asking because I am waiting for my April scores, and the 3/22/14 thread is making me more nervous. The passages seemed longer on my MCAT than the AAMCs, and I felt rushed for time on my last passage. In addition, there were a couple more that I was stuck between 2 than I usually do. I stayed calm during the section, but once I came out for my break, I had this sense of panic that I did not perform up to my usual standard on the Verbal. Is it common for people to feel that way, since the verbal is less clear-cut than the science sections and you can't go home and look up facts that you got right or wrong? Or is it common for people to score below their range?

I can't speak to what is common or not, but I know that the verbal section has been very unpredictable for me. I got 14s-15s for three FLs in a row, so I thought I had that section in the bag. Then the week before I sat for the test, I scored 10s on two of my FLs, and I couldn't even tell that I was doing worse. I took the test on 4/11 so I'm still waiting for my score. But yes, I feel you...

My friend that took the April mcat just got his verbal back and scored a 12...his max on FL was a 9. There are only 40 questions, you could easily get lucky or unlucky.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend that took the April mcat just got his verbal back and scored a 12...his max on FL was a 9. There are only 40 questions, you could easily get lucky or unlucky.

"Unlucky" - That's me.
Scored 7-9 on AAMC FLs, and scored 6 on the real one.

"Unlucky" - That's me.
Scored 7-9 on AAMC FLs, and scored 6 on the real one.

Well, maybe better luck next time, right? I've seen people get 3-4 points above their average and 3-4 points below.

Maybe next time one more point above, so a 10