Nov 19, 2018
My stats:
School: University of North Dakota
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.8 Science GPA: 3.4-.6
DAT Score (PAT/QR/RC/Bio/GC/OC/TS/AA):
20/14/18/23/26/20/22/20
Volunteering: I have about 80 shadowing hours. Combination of pediatric therapy, special olympics, basketball camps.. Hoping to get more soon
Shadowing: 80+ hours shadowing general dentistry, 16 hours of oral surgery, 8 hours of orthodontics
Employment/DentalExperience: No dental related employment but I have 2500+ hours of patience contact hours. I was an orderly in a hospital (patient transportation, performed EKG, helped nurses with patients, reaponded to BERTS and code blues) and am currently a patient care tech in a dermatology clinic. So I have lost of hours around patients in a clinical setting.
Research: 2000 hours at a USDA exercise physiology lab.
LOR: 2 science professors, research supervisor, and dentist

Nov 19, 2018
Hey everyone I've been looking into a list of programs. If anyone has any information on them that would be helpful. My cGPA(3.8),sGPA(3.6-.7), AA-20,TS-22,PAT-20 is the same if not higher then mean of each program. I have 2500+ patient care hours, 2000 hours of research, 80 hours of volunteering(planning on getting more), 100+ hours of shadowing(also wanting more). The other dat scores are Orgo- 20, Gen chem-26, Bio-23, RC-18 and Qr- 14...I know QR is very disappointing. I've reached out to all these programs and most have said that although QR is low, they will look at the application as a whole and that I would still make a competitive applicant. Some urged to me apply. I was a part of a couple clubs. Participated in two collegiate sports at a small university freshman year. Took heavy course loads including a couple semesters of 21 credits while working part time 20+ hours a week and eventually working two part time jobs about 20 hours each with 18+ credits. I wanted to challenge myself and wanted to prove I could handle the pressure of a tough course load as well as stay busy with work and other stuff. I also was weight lifting 5-6 days a week which doesn't really matter to dental schools but time management is important lol. Any whooo these are the programs. Are they good programs and choices? Am i reaching too much? Advice? My top choices are Minnesota, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Louisville, Kentucky, Nova, and Creighton

(AZ 01) A.T. Still University of Arizona
(AZ 02) Midwestern University (AZ)
(CO 01) University of Colorado
(FL 02) Nova Southeastern University
(IA 01) The University of Iowa
(KY 01) University of Kentucky
(KY 02) University of Louisville
(MN 01) University of Minnesota
(MO 01) A.T. Still University
(MO 02) University of Missouri - Kansas City
(NE 01) Creighton University
(NE 02) University of Nebraska
(NV 01) University of Nevada, Las Vegas
(WA 01) University of Washington
(CA 05) Western University
(OH 01) Case Western Reserve University
(FL 01) Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
(ME 01) University of New England
(PA 01) The Maurice H. Kornberg
(WI 01) Marquette University
(MD 01) University of Maryland

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2011
Status
Academic Administration
In my mind, that's a ton of research and not enough volunteering. The issue is that for a dental school application, your general health care experience hours that don't involve dentistry isn't valued much in general (you'll have to do your homework to see if I am wrong with specific schools on your list). If anything some faculty will be rather offended that you spend so much more time not doing dentistry (for whatever reason). Maybe figure out which schools on your list would truly value that experience in the spirit of "interprofessionalism" and connect with students at the schools at the top of your list.

Nov 19, 2018
In my mind, that's a ton of research and not enough volunteering. The issue is that for a dental school application, your general health care experience hours that don't involve dentistry isn't valued much in general (you'll have to do your homework to see if I am wrong with specific schools on your list). If anything some faculty will be rather offended that you spend so much more time not doing dentistry (for whatever reason). Maybe figure out which schools on your list would truly value that experience in the spirit of "interprofessionalism" and connect with students at the schools at the top of your list.
Okay! I do have a lot of research because that was my part time job during school for two years.. I was also premed up until graduation thus I was getting patient care hours for that. I've found that opportunities in the dental field area much harder to come by than being nursing assistant.. I appreciate your input, thank you! I switched to dentist after I graduated in 2019

About the Ads