• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

2thDoc11

2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2018
My stats:
School: University of North Dakota
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.8 Science GPA: 3.4-.6
DAT Score (PAT/QR/RC/Bio/GC/OC/TS/AA):
20/14/18/23/26/20/22/20
Volunteering: I have about 80 shadowing hours. Combination of pediatric therapy, special olympics, basketball camps.. Hoping to get more soon
Shadowing: 80+ hours shadowing general dentistry, 16 hours of oral surgery, 8 hours of orthodontics
Employment/DentalExperience: No dental related employment but I have 2500+ hours of patience contact hours. I was an orderly in a hospital (patient transportation, performed EKG, helped nurses with patients, reaponded to BERTS and code blues) and am currently a patient care tech in a dermatology clinic. So I have lost of hours around patients in a clinical setting.
Research: 2000 hours at a USDA exercise physiology lab.
LOR: 2 science professors, research supervisor, and dentist

Oct 14, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
In my mind, that's a ton of research and not enough volunteering. The issue is that for a dental school application, your general health care experience hours that don't involve dentistry isn't valued much in general (you'll have to do your homework to see if I am wrong with specific schools on your list). If anything some faculty will be rather offended that you spend so much more time not doing dentistry (for whatever reason). Maybe figure out which schools on your list would truly value that experience in the spirit of "interprofessionalism" and connect with students at the schools at the top of your list.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.