Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Poor scores on diasgnostic...is there hope????

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by birdman12345, Nov 28, 2005.

1. birdman12345

birdman12345 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I just took took my diagnostic for the first time and here are my scores: please note this was without any knowledge of the test and without any review.
    AA 12
    bio 14
    gchem 14
    ochem 12
    reading 12
    quant 11
    PAT 14

I plan on taking Kaplan and studying for 3 months hard. Is there hope for me to bring my scores up to a competitve score? is this normal for someones' first attempt at the test?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. brainfreeze

brainfreeze Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yes, there's hope. In fact, there is no doubt you'll do much better after studying. It's a lot of memorizing and review, but just as importantly, it's learning how to manage your time during the test. You'll get better with practice. Make studying the single most important thing on your list for the three months and don't get lazy and you can ace it.

Good luck!

4. dexadental

dexadental 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Again, certainly there is hope...I was doing terrible on my kaplan diagnostic, midterm, and final...took my first DAT and got an AA:18, low QR score however which of course skewed my entire AA...so I felt the need to retake. I studied my tail off using DAT achiever, DAT professor, ace the dat, AND kaplan (my topscore had expired) and I pulled some really good scores ;). Study hard, it will pay off...you'll start to get the hang of it. I felt that doing problems helped the most in QR and PAT...its just practice practice practice...and then practice some more. Good luck! ;)

5. 80B

80B Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    absolutely dont get discouraged by low diagnostic scores...mine were just as ugly. dont get me wrong, ts going to take alot of work to get good scores, but im sure 99% of peoples diagnostic scores look similar to yours. good luck!

6. huskerslp

huskerslp Member
    5+ Year Member

You still have a good chance to do well on the DATs. I took the Kaplan class and studied for 3 months and here are the results of my diagnostic and my real DATs scores:
    Diagnostic:
    AA 17
    bio 13
    gchem 13
    ochem 14
    reading 19
    quant 18
    PAT 13

Real DATs

AA 19
    bio 19
    gchem 17
    ochem 22
    reading 20
    quant 19
    PAT 17

7. docnimster

docnimster Old Skool Fool
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    of course there's hope. i studied hardf for the DAT and it paid off. anyone can do well if they really put in the time and effort.

Diagnostic:
    Bio: 16
    GChem: 15
    OChem: 16
    RC: 18
    QR: 13
    PA: 17
    TS: 16
    AA: 16

Actual Test:
    Bio: 21
    GChem: 25
    OChem: 23
    RC: 27
    QR: 18
    PA: 22
    TS: 23
    AA: 23

8. Richnator

Richnator Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

There is always hope. I scored well in quantitative off the bat. Think about 21 in QR However, the other sections really blew for me, and I had a 19 RC. So, just study hard because I know the science section scores can go through the roof if you study hard enough. Myself and many SDNers are living proof. Moreover, almost my whole family are dentists and they all did well on their DAT after 2-3 months of preparation. So, it can be done ^_^ Oh yah, be sure to study for the PAT really hard. I was content with 19s in kaplan, but the real test is 10 times harder. So, buy DAT achiever for PAT. I wish I bought that program when I was preparing for the DAT.

9. saycheese

saycheese Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i remember feeling so disappointed after taking the diagnostic test... but don't let that get to you. Rather, it should be a motivator to study even harder to ace that baby. :0) I'm sure once you familiarize yourself with the exam, things will work out in the end. I can testify to that. :) Kaplan does a pretty good job covering materials on the exam. be confident....gluck and keep us updated. ok? :0)

10. E. coli

E. coli Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I got around the same scores as you in my diagnostic. After a couple of months of studying, I got the scores that I have now (20+ in every section). The DAT is not that hard, just requires some hard studying and strategy. Just do a lot of practice tests: Kaplan, top score, barron, DAT achiever........etc and you will be fine.

11. JakeMUSC

5+ Year Member

youre gonna have to study your butt off if you want higher scores.....you can do it!

12. CSade469

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    My scores were similar, i took them for the first time in 10/24/05, I am planning to retake them, around January 24. I have purchased the Kaplan online, top scorer, and Baron. My question is, do you think that is too late for 2006 cycle? I am applying to Arizona, Pacific, Howard, Detroit Mercy, Creighton, Meharry, VCU, WVA. I have received 2nd app. from Arizona and Creighton, but i'm afraid to send my DAT scores, b/c of fear of rejection. What should i do?