Poor scores on diasgnostic...is there hope????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdman12345

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took took my diagnostic for the first time and here are my scores: please note this was without any knowledge of the test and without any review.
AA 12
bio 14
gchem 14
ochem 12
reading 12
quant 11
PAT 14

I plan on taking Kaplan and studying for 3 months hard. Is there hope for me to bring my scores up to a competitve score? is this normal for someones' first attempt at the test?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, there's hope. In fact, there is no doubt you'll do much better after studying. It's a lot of memorizing and review, but just as importantly, it's learning how to manage your time during the test. You'll get better with practice. Make studying the single most important thing on your list for the three months and don't get lazy and you can ace it.

Good luck!

Again, certainly there is hope...I was doing terrible on my kaplan diagnostic, midterm, and final...took my first DAT and got an AA:18, low QR score however which of course skewed my entire AA...so I felt the need to retake. I studied my tail off using DAT achiever, DAT professor, ace the dat, AND kaplan (my topscore had expired) and I pulled some really good scores ;). Study hard, it will pay off...you'll start to get the hang of it. I felt that doing problems helped the most in QR and PAT...its just practice practice practice...and then practice some more. Good luck! ;)

absolutely dont get discouraged by low diagnostic scores...mine were just as ugly. dont get me wrong, ts going to take alot of work to get good scores, but im sure 99% of peoples diagnostic scores look similar to yours. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
birdman12345 said:
I just took took my diagnostic for the first time and here are my scores: please note this was without any knowledge of the test and without any review.
AA 12
bio 14
gchem 14
ochem 12
reading 12
quant 11
PAT 14

I plan on taking Kaplan and studying for 3 months hard. Is there hope for me to bring my scores up to a competitve score? is this normal for someones' first attempt at the test?

You still have a good chance to do well on the DATs. I took the Kaplan class and studied for 3 months and here are the results of my diagnostic and my real DATs scores:
Diagnostic:
AA 17
bio 13
gchem 13
ochem 14
reading 19
quant 18
PAT 13

Real DATs

AA 19
bio 19
gchem 17
ochem 22
reading 20
quant 19
PAT 17

of course there's hope. i studied hardf for the DAT and it paid off. anyone can do well if they really put in the time and effort.

Diagnostic:
Bio: 16
GChem: 15
OChem: 16
RC: 18
QR: 13
PA: 17
TS: 16
AA: 16

Actual Test:
Bio: 21
GChem: 25
OChem: 23
RC: 27
QR: 18
PA: 22
TS: 23
AA: 23

birdman12345 said:
AA 12
bio 14
gchem 14
ochem 12
reading 12
quant 11
PAT 14

There is always hope. I scored well in quantitative off the bat. Think about 21 in QR However, the other sections really blew for me, and I had a 19 RC. So, just study hard because I know the science section scores can go through the roof if you study hard enough. Myself and many SDNers are living proof. Moreover, almost my whole family are dentists and they all did well on their DAT after 2-3 months of preparation. So, it can be done ^_^ Oh yah, be sure to study for the PAT really hard. I was content with 19s in kaplan, but the real test is 10 times harder. So, buy DAT achiever for PAT. I wish I bought that program when I was preparing for the DAT.

i remember feeling so disappointed after taking the diagnostic test... but don't let that get to you. Rather, it should be a motivator to study even harder to ace that baby. :0) I'm sure once you familiarize yourself with the exam, things will work out in the end. I can testify to that. :) Kaplan does a pretty good job covering materials on the exam. be confident....gluck and keep us updated. ok? :0)

birdman12345 said:
AA 12
bio 14
gchem 14
ochem 12
reading 12
quant 11
PAT 14

I got around the same scores as you in my diagnostic. After a couple of months of studying, I got the scores that I have now (20+ in every section). The DAT is not that hard, just requires some hard studying and strategy. Just do a lot of practice tests: Kaplan, top score, barron, DAT achiever........etc and you will be fine.

birdman12345 said:
AA 12
bio 14
gchem 14
ochem 12
reading 12
quant 11
PAT 14

youre gonna have to study your butt off if you want higher scores.....you can do it!

My scores were similar, i took them for the first time in 10/24/05, I am planning to retake them, around January 24. I have purchased the Kaplan online, top scorer, and Baron. My question is, do you think that is too late for 2006 cycle? I am applying to Arizona, Pacific, Howard, Detroit Mercy, Creighton, Meharry, VCU, WVA. I have received 2nd app. from Arizona and Creighton, but i'm afraid to send my DAT scores, b/c of fear of rejection. What should i do?