Poor Step 1 Performance, Now Step 2 CK Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kurma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US-IMG applying for the 2010 Match for IM. I earned a measly 81 on the Step 1. I am in a dilemma to take or not to take Step 2 CK now (July/Aug) or later (Nov/Dec). On one hand I know that Step 2 gives me the opportunity to improve on my poor Step 1 performance, but I am very bad with standardized exams and I need a lot of time to study for it. Any help with be much appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Good news: Many, many IM positions go unfilled every year. If you passed Step I on the first try you should still probably get plenty of interviews assuming you do not apply to top-tier residency programs.

BTW, stop using the 2-digit score. It is not a percentile. An 81 could be anywhere from a high 180s - low 200's depending on the year.

I guess it is in the higher 190s. Anyways step one score though extremely important is not the sole criteria. But as an IMG it is tough to get interviews if one is not ECFMG certified or atleast have step 2 ck. But this is not the bottom line and a lot depends where you are applying, the competetiveness of the program etc. Do you have USCE?

My advice would be to take your exam in sept if you can and apply with it in late october. Take your CS before your step 2 Ck, ideally in Aug so that you get your results on Oct 14th. You can apply till Oct 31st. Even if you take your Ck in 2nd week of Oct, you will still be able to get ecfmg certification before Oct 31st.

Though the downside will be that you will be sending your applications late, but with an 81 many top programs are out of question. And applying to less competetive programs wont affect much even if you send in the applications late.

I wish you all the best. And remember networking helps. Start working on your contacts in the US if any. And your citizenshiP is a big plus. Just remeber nothing is impossible =).

I don't think the number of unfilled programs this past year was as high as one may think. I can't recall the exact chart, but i believe 67 internal medicine categorical spots went unfilled. That is NOT a high number by any means.

As for the 2 digit score, I think it holds more weight than people are lending it. Most places that I had interviewed had a grading scale where one of the categories was Step 1 score - broken down by the 2 digit score. i.e. >99, 90-99, etc. I would say that I noticed this type of scale at at least 4 places where they had their evaluation form sitting in plain sight. While 81 isn't a great score, at least you passed. That being said, I think you need to do really well on step 2 and at least bring up your score to average. I don't recommend taking CK in november/december because odds are, it'll come back too late for it to be used to get interviews. It may help for when they make their decisions but your first priority should be to land as many interviews as you can. For that, you should probably take it by the end of august/early september if possible. CS holds less weight - especially if you speak english fluently anyway.

As an IMG, its an uphill battle. You will have to be smart and apply BROADLY!! - I've heard of people applying to >100 programs in order to secure a decent number of interviews. At the end of the day, the charting outcomes in match offers one great piece of advice. The more places you rank, the higher your odds are of matching. So spend the money now to get interviews rather than thinking your odds will improve the next year.

Not being an IMG, I don't have specific advice on when to take the Step 2. I agree w/the advice in the post above though that if you are afraid about getting enough interviews, then apply to a lot of programs, and leave out the top tier ones (except one or two "dream schools" if you want to try for them). As a US citizen, particularly if you rotated at US hospitals during 3rd/4th years, I would think there should definitely be a place for you somewhere in IM, provided you don't fail the Step 2 exams and there's nothing bad in your transcript or LOR's (like personality issues during your clerkships, etc.).

I think the #1 most important thing is not to fail the Step 2, so if you are so nervous about it that you think you might fail, IMHO it would be better to take it a bit later and make sure you pass and hopefully get a decent score. How late you can get away with taking it (and still have it "count" in the selection process) I don't really know. Most IM interview invites go out in November and December, I think, so if they don't have your score by then it might not get used for interview selection. Personally, I took my Step 2 in december, wanting it to count for ranking in case I did better than on my step 1, but not really "needing" the Step 2 score to get interviews, I didn't think. My experience with the Step exams was that studying definitely helped me raise my scores..I got 220's on Step 1 after probably not studying enough, and 240's on step 2/3 after studying more. I do think that more study time does tend to raise the score for most people, but I guess in your situation you have a lot of factors to balance here.

Not being an IMG, I don't have specific advice on when to take the Step 2. I agree w/the advice in the post above though that if you are afraid about getting enough interviews, then apply to a lot of programs, and leave out the top tier ones (except one or two "dream schools" if you want to try for them). As a US citizen, particularly if you rotated at US hospitals during 3rd/4th years, I would think there should definitely be a place for you somewhere in IM, provided you don't fail the Step 2 exams and there's nothing bad in your transcript or LOR's (like personality issues during your clerkships, etc.).

I think the #1 most important thing is not to fail the Step 2, so if you are so nervous about it that you think you might fail, IMHO it would be better to take it a bit later and make sure you pass and hopefully get a decent score. How late you can get away with taking it (and still have it "count" in the selection process) I don't really know. Most IM interview invites go out in November and December, I think, so if they don't have your score by then it might not get used for interview selection. Personally, I took my Step 2 in december, wanting it to count for ranking in case I did better than on my step 1, but not really "needing" the Step 2 score to get interviews, I didn't think. My experience with the Step exams was that studying definitely helped me raise my scores..I got 220's on Step 1 after probably not studying enough, and 240's on step 2/3 after studying more. I do think that more study time does tend to raise the score for most people, but I guess in your situation you have a lot of factors to balance here.

I am an IMG. Regarding when to take step 2 ck/cs varies with the individual situation and alot of factors. But since the last 2 years i have heard stories of people not getting interviews even with 240+ in both steps and just the cs remaining. What i want to emphasize is that these students not getting any calls indicate that their must be some other factors like no of applications, contacts, personal statements, usce etc.

On the other hand i also know a person who had scores in the lower 80s. Had no usce. Did a year of research here. Applied broadly and networked like anything. Got 13 interviews, even from emory. The speciality applied to was pediatrics. So the competitiveness of the speciality is another indicator.

But the general consensus that has developed amongst students here now is that you have to be ECFMG certified when you apply!

Dragonfly is right in her advice. You must have known your potential by now and would have identified the factors/deficiencies that contributed to your low score. If you have and you think that you can rectify them by studying more, then take your time. A good score will be an excellent compensation. But if you have not or can not identify your deficiencies, then there is no proof that taking more time to prepare will lead to a good score. You must ensure not to fail and give your best possible attempt. IMHO there is whole of July, August and Sept and 3 months are good enough. If you can, then follow the outline i have provided in my post above. But be cautious. I have a failed CS resulting more from a hushed attempt and not paying attention to the CIS part than lack of medical knowledge & efficacy. So i speak from experience.

As long as you play your cards right, you can land a spot. I repeat your citizenship is and will be big plus. GoodLuck. =).

Thanks a lot for the excellent advice. Now, if I decide to take Step 2 CK by Oct/Nov, we it be best to send out my 2010 ERAS application Sept 1st with only my Step 1 score (81) or wait until later?

i think as an IMG you need to have as many step scores in before you apply as possible. Programs will not interview us because they're affraid that we'll fail one of the steps and thus not be able to start our residency on time. also I am pretty sure you need the cs and ck scores before you can submit your rank order list. So my advice is to get those done ASAP. especially with such a low step1 score you want a high step2 score early in your application to set off the low step1 score.

Also in the 2009 match IM was 98.6% filled, out of close to 5,000 spots so that's like ~60 spots.. that's not a lot at all. basically if you don't prematch or match your chances of getting a residency at least in IM are slim to none. this is a very serious and real situation. taking ck in oct will mean your score won't be back till at least nov. it takes at least 3 weeks to get your score back, programs will not want to interview someone with a low step1 score who hasn't taken the CK, when they have hundreds if not thousands of applicants who have taken and passed the CK.

Thanks a lot for the excellent advice. Now, if I decide to take Step 2 CK by Oct/Nov, we it be best to send out my 2010 ERAS application Sept 1st with only my Step 1 score (81) or wait until later?

The last day for sending out applications is 31st OCtober. For your ck to be reported till then, you have to take it by the first testing date of October. Get the scores till the 3rd week and then apply. If you would have taken your CS in late Aug or early Sep then you can expect your result to be reported till OCt 14th.

Applying without a ck will be a waste of money and i am pretty much sure you wont be getting any calls. And as you will be applying widely, it will cost you around $3000. Things have changed in the last 2-3 years and the competition has really shot up.