Poorest Countries

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Peeshee, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Peeshee

Peeshee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    OK, I am not sure how to word this, but I am looking for the "poorest country in the world." I have done searches on the internet using these words, but how they define "poor," I am not sure, so maybe, there will be conflicting data. I would think that the World Health Organization (WHO) has some info. on this, but I haven't found it yet.

So far, I have found out that Haiti is the poorest in the Western Hemisphere, Moldova is the poorest in Europe, East Timor is the poorest in Asia, Bolivia is the poorest in Latin America, and
    Angola is the poorest country in the world.

If anyone has conflicting data, please let me know. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member

Is not the idea the medically poorest country in the world?

Either way, I will certainly vouch for Haiti, having just returned. And Honduras comes pretty close to Bolivia. As for Angola--and really all of them--we have to keep in mind the stability vs. instability and long-term vs. short-term factors in "poorest country of the world" evaluations. For example, I would venture that the Dem Rep of Congo is the poorest right now in Africa, b/c of the crisis going on there at this time. Horrible, utterly, utterly horrible. Yet, natural resource-wise, the Congo has the potential to be the richest bastion in all of Africa. No kidding. And Honduras is stil in straights b/c of the hurricane that blasted through years ago.