POP mental health professionals!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurepsych0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This article may be a few days old, but I just read it today. I have to say, I am amazed of how unethical people like Dr. Ablow and Dr. Phil can be while representing the mental health field. The psychology and psychiatry boards should really do something! Although I doubt they can do much. I simply wanted to post this to share how dumb fox news is! As for Dr. Ablow I lost respect for him when he diagnosed Bill Maher on national television without ever meeting him. Find link below.
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archiv...watch-dr-keith-ablow/comment-page-1/#comments

Members don't see this ad.

I hate Dr. Drew the most, he's not even a psychologist. He is very knowledgable and experienced about addiction, but he goes outside of his scope of competence often now.

I think the critique itself (by a regular poster on SDN) was quite strong. I do wonder whether Albow truly believes what he wrote in that article or just is bloviating to get his name out there in the media. Either way - sad :(.

This article may be a few days old, but I just read it today. I have to say, I am amazed of how unethical people like Dr. Ablow and Dr. Phil can be while representing the mental health field. The psychology and psychiatry boards should really do something! Although I doubt they can do much. I simply wanted to post this to share how dumb fox news is! As for Dr. Ablow I lost respect for him when he diagnosed Bill Maher on national television without ever meeting him. Find link below.
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archiv...watch-dr-keith-ablow/comment-page-1/#comments

Members don't see this ad :)
I simply feel professionals such as these give our field such a terrible name! The average person knows very little about the mental health field. It is obvious why the "average" American dislikes mental health professions (at least the people I meet on the day to day). Not to long ago I had a college professor say to me, "why waste your time majoring in psychology just become a life coach." The APA or somebody needs to work on promoting this profession and educating people, and not let the fox news do it!

Dr. Keith Ablow has shown himself to be quite the homophobe and trans-phobe. And don't get me started on that guy Dr. Drew who does that reality TV show Celebrity Rehab. The unethical exploitation of the participants and the sheer seediness of it all makes me cringe.

I don't think there is really anything even state boards can do unless he portrays himself as a Licensed Psychologist. As I understand it, Dr. Phil surrendered his license to the Texas Board of Psychology (I think there was some preexisting issues there that led to it). Dr. Laura for example I believe has her doctorate in physiology or something along those lines and is only licensed at the master's level (MFT). It is a shady area I suppose, they are on the border of misrepresentation but manage to get away with it but I suppose as long as they aren't specifically representing themselves using protected titles they can get away with it unfortunately. Most of the general public doesn't have a good understanding of the myriad of alphabet soup that exists with all the various licensing in the mental health field, hell most can't explain the difference between a psychologists and psychiatrist.

I hate Dr. Drew the most, he's not even a psychologist. He is very knowledgable and experienced about addiction, but he goes outside of his scope of competence often now.

ITA. What's funny, though, is that all the comments I've read about Celebrity Rehab seem to be from laypeople (mostly) who think he's a joke and not actually treating the people on the show in any sort of helpful manner, at least not in the later seasons. So, it seems even non-clinicians don't put a lot of stock into the "treatment" on his shows, at least. :laugh:

I will say that I think OCD Project on VH1 did an *excellent* job of showing actual EBT and, IMO, very well-done psychotherapy (by a very well-published psychologist with extensive expertise in OCD and ERP). It was kind of awesome to see reality TV actually show competent, empirically-based treatment, although some viewers thought ERP seemed harsh to the point of being cruel or even abusive.

Last edited:
It's sad that pop psychologists are the ones getting the limelight and IMHO giving the discipline an awful name. I can't stand the Drews or the Phils of psychology

I will say that I think OCD Project on VH1 did an *excellent* job of showing actual EBT and, IMO, very well-done psychotherapy (by a very well-published psychologist with extensive expertise in that OCD and ERP). It was kind of awesome to see reality TV actually show competent, empirically-based treatment, although some viewers thought ERP seemed harsh to the point of being cruel or even abusive.

ITA. I very much enjoyed the OCD Project, as it felt similar to watching some of the training videos I've seen. Dr. Tolin is sometimes on Hoarders, which I also like, although often the mental health professionals are so limited in what they can do on that show because the person is under a tight legal deadline.

Notice that the quotes from Ablow use the wrong gender pronouns to refer to Chaz ("her," not "him"--refusal to acknowledge Chaz as a man).

Dr. Fool, I mean Dr. Feel, I mean Dr. Phil is obviously a total wienie too. I almost lost my mind when that smug, fat bastard put out a weight loss book.

Not to defend or support Dr. Drew, but I don't think he should be included in the same tier as Dr. Phil and Ablow. Those two hacks are in a league of their own as I fear they actually do harm to more than the professional reputation. Dr. Drew at least has an MD and credible experience...though I guess perhaps that means he should be held to a higher standard. I only saw some of the early Celeb Rehab, though, and it sounds like it's gotten much worse, so maybe I'm just splitting hairs.

The OCD Project is definitely the best attempt at showcasing actual treatment and not "made for tv" junk. I only saw a few episodes, but I had to stop because it was too much like watching work.

Not to defend or support Dr. Drew, but I don't think he should be included in the same tier as Dr. Phil and Ablow. Those two hacks are in a league of their own as I fear they actually do harm to more than the professional reputation. Dr. Drew at least has an MD and credible experience...though I guess perhaps that means he should be held to a higher standard. I only saw some of the early Celeb Rehab, though, and it sounds like it's gotten much worse, so maybe I'm just splitting hairs.

I'm more bothered by his appearances on Teen Mom and discussing eating disorders and stuff. Outside of his scope for sure.

Let's not forget that the APA President gave Dr. Phil an award in 2006.

Dr. Keith Ablow has shown himself to be quite the homophobe and trans-phobe. And don't get me started on that guy Dr. Drew who does that reality TV show Celebrity Rehab. The unethical exploitation of the participants and the sheer seediness of it all makes me cringe.

Do you feel the same way about shows like intervention on A&E?

The OCD Project is definitely the best attempt at showcasing actual treatment and not "made for tv" junk. I only saw a few episodes, but I had to stop because it was too much like watching work.

This is why I can't read any books about first-hand accounts of mental illness anymore--too much like work.

who has time for pop psychology?

I think it's interesting to keep up on this stuff a little bit because this is what will be in many first-time client's heads. You can generally get the gist of these things by watching a few episodes, no need to commit yourself totally to 8 shows :)

Do you feel the same way about shows like intervention on A&E?

Not OP, but this is probably the show I've watched the most of and I haven't noticed homophobia. I think they do a decent job of showing that the family and therapists care about the 'client'. The voyeurism issue exists with all of these shows, but there is also potential that they will reduce stigma to some extent and spur some viewers to get treatment for themselves or family members.

Of course many individuals would probably be better served with a motivational interviewing approach first and then moving into more confrontational Intervention intervention if MI clearly fails. Of course MI would probably make horrible television.

edit: missed this one
This is why I can't read any books about first-hand accounts of mental illness anymore--too much like work.

I get the idea of overload but to me these books read nothing like texts/articles. Clearly I'm not reading as many as I used to, but at the same time these accounts have actually helped spark some research ideas and they can help with the "soft" therapy skills. Of course I also haven't stopped reading unrelated novels in grad school despite our DCT's warning to stop reading for pleasure cause we will never have time etc etc.

Last edited:
Of course I also haven't stopped reading unrelated novels in grad school despite our DCT's warning to stop reading for pleasure cause we will never have time etc etc.

Good for you. Your DCT's edict stinks--grad school is painful enough without being overtly instructed to excise all pleasure (unrelated to the joys of learning, of course ;)). I've spent the summer hiding indoors, not just because I'm grappling with my research, but also because I tan easily and the wienies in my program will be sure to make snide remarks about my "life of leisure" if I appear in public without my usual pallor.

Of course I also haven't stopped reading unrelated novels in grad school despite our DCT's warning to stop reading for pleasure cause we will never have time etc etc.

I really hope he/she is joking in an attempt to demonstrate how busy you will be in grad school. If not, she is setting herself up to produce a bunch of boring, academic numbskulls that will do little more than tow the party line and not think outside the box. Psychology needs less of these types...not more.

I get the idea of overload but to me these books read nothing like texts/articles. Clearly I'm not reading as many as I used to, but at the same time these accounts have actually helped spark some research ideas and they can help with the "soft" therapy skills. Of course I also haven't stopped reading unrelated novels in grad school despite our DCT's warning to stop reading for pleasure cause we will never have time etc etc.

No, they don't read like text books, but they read a whole lot like listening to a client during individual therapy ;). I also haven't given up reading unrelated books for pleasure, screw that.

That's why I can't watch mental illness-related movies anymore.