MSSLP2MD

I aim to misbehave
Aug 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow, there is so much information about post Baccs floating around here, and I had no idea it was such a thing until this year.
Of course, I hadn't planned or dreamed of a career change until this year, so there's that.

Is it that common for someone to finish a degree and go to a post bacc program? Or is it just to "replace" unsatisfactory grades usually?

Are these usually hard to get into?

I didn't take most of these courses before as they were not required, so I've got about two years of classes ahead of me to complete it all.

I have a BA and MS, both with 3.6 and some change GPA.

OP
MSSLP2MD

MSSLP2MD

I aim to misbehave
Aug 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Ah, I see. Well I am actually in one now, I was just wondering if I should have looked into others.
I really just chose it because well, it is a good school, it's I think usually #6 on the lists of top medical schools, and it's 30 minutes away.
I am still working full time as an SLP for a school district so I needed night classes.
I was going to do just what you suggested, do my own post bacc- so much more affordable.
But the local public universities offered few night classes, particularly for the sciences. Those that were offered, conflicted. I needed Chem and physics, and they were on same nights at same time, for example.
So other than a CC the post bacc wwas the only one with the availability, and I was advised that having taken coursework at a 4 year already, it would be better to avoid CC credits so I didn't look as though I was going for something "easy".
So here I am. I drove my app in on the last day they were accepting for the fall, hand delivered sealed LoR, and they gave me an extension to have my transcripts delivered.
I am enjoying it, and my classmates. I just wondered, was I really a strong candidate, or are these not that difficult to actually get into.
I'm told they link to their own, Case Western, and University of Michigan med schools.
Like I said, they're in the top ten med schools, so I'd love to go here. Just perhaps looking for a new city for a new experience for a while, wondered if I have a good shot.
I suppose that just depends on grades and MCAT then. As worried as people are about the new one, those humanities subjects are my wheelhouse...I think I could do well once I've gotten my science cleared.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SDN has a postbac forum, down under interdisciplinary.

Cotterpin

Gluconeogenesis Evangelion
2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I feel like I should warn you about Columbia's postbacc. It's not easy and even though they say that 85% of people who complete the program get accepted into medical school, that's misleading. There are a lot of students who never make it through the program. I've seen plenty of people not get the committee letter because they couldn't meet all the requirements. And then there are others who just straight gave up because it was too hard for them. But if you think you can absolutely crush the competition at Columbia, then it might be worth the money.

Also, to be clear, a postbacc is not for replacing unsatisfactory grades (unless you're going to apply to only DO schools.) The postbacc is for people who already have an undergraduate degree but never took the premed prerequisites.

Reactions: MSSLP2MD
OP
MSSLP2MD

MSSLP2MD

I aim to misbehave
Aug 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
The postbacc is for people who already have an undergraduate degree but never took the premed prerequisites.
Yes, that's me! With the exception of A&P which I had. Eeeeeverything else though I'll be getting for the first time.

What do you know of Washington University's post bacc?

And what is it about DO schools that are less competitive? I have met one DO ever, so I don't know all that much about them.

Cotterpin

2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Yes, that's me! With the exception of A&P which I had. Eeeeeverything else though I'll be getting for the first time.

What do you know of Washington University's post bacc?

And what is it about DO schools that are less competitive? I have met one DO ever, so I don't know all that much about them.
The thing about DO schools is that they allow you to do grade replacements. So if you did your prereqs and botched them, they will be a part of your GPA forever if you apply to MD schools. But DO schools will only look at the new grades.

The only post bacc I know anything about is Columbia's. I didn't do a post bacc, so I only know my friends' experiences at Columbia.

OP
MSSLP2MD

MSSLP2MD

I aim to misbehave
Aug 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh, ok. Well I'm glad I didn't do them before, then! I was not super diligent (mostly As, but was not too hard of a worker so lots of Bs too) the first time around.
So I'm glad I didn't attempt then, would not have worked out well.

Cotterpin

2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Oh, ok. Well I'm glad I didn't do them before, then! I was not super diligent (mostly As, but was not too hard of a worker so lots of Bs too) the first time around.
So I'm glad I didn't attempt then, would not have worked out well.
Sounds like a post bacc is the right move for you, then! But remember that you don't have to do a formal program. There should be lots of info on how to do post bacc's in the post bacc forum, like DrMidlife said. Good luck!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
There are two reasons for post-bacs:

Career changing, for you to get he pre-reqs down

GPA repair, to undo the damage done by poor UG performance. This can be either repeating any F/D/C coursework (especially science classes) OR taking a suite of classes that mimic med school curricula to demonstrate that the you of now is not the you of then, and that you can handle a med school load.

They're quite common for DO applicants.

Hard to get into? They're a dime a dozen and you can also do one DIY. But the rule of them is et your GPA up to high 2.n or > 3.0, especially for SMPs.

Looks like you're of the career-changer variety. You'll have no problem getting into one.

Wow, there is so much information about post Baccs floating around here, and I had no idea it was such a thing until this year.
Of course, I hadn't planned or dreamed of a career change until this year, so there's that.

Is it that common for someone to finish a degree and go to a post bacc program? Or is it just to "replace" unsatisfactory grades usually?

Are these usually hard to get into?

I didn't take most of these courses before as they were not required, so I've got about two years of classes ahead of me to complete it all.

I have a BA and MS, both with 3.6 and some change GPA.

OP
MSSLP2MD

MSSLP2MD

I aim to misbehave
Aug 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hard to get into? They're a dime a dozen and you can also do one DIY. But the rule of them is et your GPA up to high 2.n or > 3.0, especially for SMPs.
That was the sense I was getting...seeing so many concerned about getting into this one or that one, though, made me wonder.

So there isn't much aside from linkage, that makes them more beneficial than doing it on your own. I wish I could do it own my own effectively- so few night courses outside of the post bacc or community college are offered around here. I'd absolutely do CC but I'm told that's unfavorable during admission process.

Well anyway, thanks everyone for the input, mostly just curious!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
You were told wrong.

MSAR Online will tell you exactly which MD schools and which don't accept CC credits.

I'd absolutely do CC but I'm told that's unfavorable during admission process.

OP
MSSLP2MD

MSSLP2MD

I aim to misbehave
Aug 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Well thank you both for the info...it's disappointing (though reality often is I suppose, heh) and of course a top 25 would be great but if I can just get into a solid program and be a truly good doc, then I'll be happy.

OP
MSSLP2MD

MSSLP2MD

I aim to misbehave
Aug 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I suppose you mean already, not specifically for the post bacc.
That's certainly the goal from here on out, anyway. Oy.
I hadn't conceived of this as a goal way back then. I had a GED and just wanted to get into college. Already have done more than I thought I could at 16. So B's I would accept- though looking back I really could have done better. I think I was afraid of trying too hard and still not making it, weird as that is.
I really hope I can do more. The MDs I've worked with in the past really made me want to.

jl lin

7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2009
You were told wrong.

MSAR Online will tell you exactly which MD schools and which don't accept CC credits.

Goro is right on this^.

There are, however, some very picky PBPM programs, such as Temple and Bryn Mawr, which can be quite competitive in gaining entrance. I am certain there are others.

Getting into one of Temple's Post-Bacc programs would be sweet in that should you maintain the required GPA and MCAT score as set forth by them, you get a seat in their medical school. Since it is such a sweet deal with only so many seats, it is competitive--much like MS admission.