Portland and IM Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snoopy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear what anyone has to say about the four IM residencies in Portland: OHSU, Providence Portland, Providence St. Vincent, and Legacy Health System. The good, the bad, the ugly, especially if you are from Portland or a student or resident there.

I'd also be interested in hearing thoughts on life in Portland. I've heard great things but would like to know what people who actually live there think. I am seriously considering Portland as a place to do an internal medicine residency.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Just finishing my residency in Portland. I love this city and plan to stay. It's a great place for people who love the outdoors and, during the summer, it's beautiful with tons of events going on that bring the Portland community together.

As for the residency programs, you can't go wrong with any of them in terms of academic learning. Each community program has a slightly different personality and it's all a matter of which fits yours the best. Obviously, OHSU differs the most as it is a university program but I honestly don't think the academics is any better (or worse).

Snoopy - just sent you a private msg. Let me know if you don't receive it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't give you a whole lot of details but have some info that might help you out.

I just visited Portland for the first time last week and it does seem to be a pretty cool town, lots of outdoor stuff and cool bar / club scene. A lot of homeless people and street kids though.

As for the IM programs, the only info I have comes from a friend who read about this in a magazine or paper somewhere. I geuss OHSUs program is getting inundated with indigent patients due to issues with managed care an insurance in the area. He said the article talked about how busy the clinics and hospital was. This could be taken as a good or bad situation for residents.

docab,

Thanks for your PM. I sent you a reply.