Portsmouth Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

backrow

60% of the time it works everytime
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the best places to live if you're stationed at NMC Portsmouth?

I've been to the Norfolk area a few times, but never for an extended time so if anyone knows the area where most of the physicians live or could tell me good areas to look at within a reasonable commute (<20 mins if possible) that'd be great.

Is Portsmouth a bad/unsafe area? Norfolk too far? Virginia Beach too far? etc. Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

backrow said:
Does anyone know the best places to live if you're stationed at NMC Portsmouth?

I've been to the Norfolk area a few times, but never for an extended time so if anyone knows the area where most of the physicians live or could tell me good areas to look at within a reasonable commute (<20 mins if possible) that'd be great.

Is Portsmouth a bad/unsafe area? Norfolk too far? Virginia Beach too far? etc. Thanks for your help

There are a few areas in Portsmouth that aren’t too bad. I lived in the Ghent area of Norfolk and really liked it. Close to anything you could want in terms of social activities and it took only about 15 min to get to work. Alot of nice apartments(converted Antebellum houses) for rent in that area as well

Alot of people lived at chicks beach also. But then you have to deal with traffic when you are driving and those tunnels are pretty bad.

I lived towards the Western Branch area of Portsmouth/Chesapeake. Decent area, reasonable commute (15 minutes and no tunnels). Ghent is popular with the younger crowd - college age folks, more night life, etc. Portsmouth proper can be very hit or miss... meaning when the gangs shoot at you they might hit you or miss you. Virginia Beach can be a haul, but if you're an intern or resident, the morning commute should be traffic free. However, the evening commute might stink. Other things to consider - kids or no kids, married or single, surgery intern or transitional, etc. Just ask around.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends if you are a single person or you have a family. My mom was stationed at Portsmouth for 5 years and we lived in Chesapeake, Great Bridge area. The commute was 15-20 minutes but it has a great school system and community. If you are single I would not live in Norfolk, there are more bad areas than good. I would say they same for Portsmouth. I would probably live in Virginia Beach, there is more access to night life and the things younger people would be interested. It may be a slightly longer commute, but not much, and it would be worth it.

I'm at NAS Norfolk and my husband is at NMCP - we live in Norfolk, in Ghent, and it's awesome. It's an easy commute for both of us (maybe 15 to 20 minutes each, depending on traffic) and close (walkable) to the ammenities that we like - restaurants, bars, theaters, parks. A lot of doctors and med studs from EVMS and NMCP live in Ghent. Lots of attendings from NMCP live in the Churchland part of Portsmouth - we call it the "doctor ghetto." Old Town Portsmouth is close and charming, but very close to the "hood." Chesapeake is good if you are married with kids, and don't mind driving everywhere and living in suburbia. Same with Va Beach. Chicks Beach is a great place to live if you want to be by the water and don't mind the drive (it's probably about 45 minutes from the hospital..)

Hope that helps.

A bunch of us air force people rented at The Myrtles which is a new apartment complex that is right outside the gate of the medical center - a lot of us actually just walk over since i's 5 minutes away although I'm still a lazy punk so I still drive the 1 minute over. Of course it goes without saying that traffic is great this way... rent for a one bedroom is about $1000 and comes with cable and internet

married with family. I would recommend a home in suffolk/chesapeake area

You may want to check out www.militarybyowner.com. It lists housing all around the country geared either towards renting or buying houses near military bases. In some cases there is usually some military affiliation by the seller or landlord (in the case of renting) that makes it an attractive arrangement for all involved. May be worth checking out.