Postdoc Invitation Thread (2021-2022)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Official Site Name: MEDVAMC
Date Invitation Received: 1/8/2021
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): PTSD
Interview Dates Offered: January 25, 26, 27 morning or afternoon session
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: trash TV and my pup

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Battle Creek VAMC
Date Invitation Received: 1/8/2020
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Phone Call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Clinical/ Dr. Wright
Interview Dates Offered: 1/25, 1/26

Reactions: 2 users
Official Site Name: VA Puget Sound - American Lake
Date Invitation Received: 1/8/21
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site: Geropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: TBD, 2/3 Virtual Open House
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Enjoying my weekend relaxing :)

Official Site Name: West Los Angeles VA
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site: Health Psych
Interview Dates Offered: 1/21 or 1/27 if you are unavailable on 1/21

Official Site Name: Mayo Clinic
Date Invitation Received: 1/8/2021
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Clinical Child Psychology
Interview Dates Offered: 1/19, 1/26, & 1/29
If & How you're staying sane: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Official Site Name: Jackson Health
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Email asking for availability
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Consult & Liaison
Interview Dates Offered: TBD
If & How you're staying sane
: WTF I have 8 interviews, still have 4 more to hear from - is this what a corrective emotional experience feels like? Like of the internship process? I'm blown away - it's motivating me to start working out so I look good in scrubs, and that's a lot coming from me LOL

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Official Site Name: Univ of Missouri
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Peds neuro
If & How you're staying sane: *If* is really the question lol Looking for some good Netflix etc recommendations for distractions!

Official Site Name: Amita Health Alexian Brothers
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Email ‘dear candidate’
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Peds neuro
Interview Dates Offered: Several over the next 3 weeks
If & How you're staying sane: see above!

• Love
Official Site Name: Jackson Health
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Email asking for availability
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Consult & Liaison
If & How you're staying sane
: WTF I have 8 interviews, still have 4 more to hear from - is this what a corrective emotional experience feels like? Like of the internship process? I'm blown away - it's motivating me to start working out so I look good in scrubs, and that's a lot coming from me LOL

awww I love this, I remember your posts during the internship application process and how that was so discouraging. Makes me happy to hear you’re having a much more positive experience this time around!

awww I love this, I remember your posts during the internship application process and how that was so discouraging. Makes me happy to hear you’re having a much more positive experience this time around!
Haha I was pretty negative...I lost hope a few years so this helps gain back a little confidence

Reactions: 1 user
Advice needed:

Got a call for an interview on 1/5/21 with the site director stating I'd be receiving an email from my interviewer to schedule with me. I have yet to receive an email. When should I follow-up?

Has anyone heard from Emory or Vanderbilt Universities for their neuropsychology postdoc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Rush University Medical Center Road Home Program
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal EMail
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): PTSD
Interview Dates Offered: will be contacted next week for interview

• Love
Advice needed:

Got a call for an interview on 1/5/21 with the site director stating I'd be receiving an email from my interviewer to schedule with me. I have yet to receive an email. When should I follow up?
Advice needed:

Got a call for an interview on 1/5/21 with the site director stating I'd be receiving an email from my interviewer to schedule with me. I have yet to receive an email. When should I follow-up?
I’m not a DCT, so take this as you will, but 1- do they do internship interviews? I know my site is planning on doing postdoc interviews after internship interviews
2-If not, I would reach out after a week, personally.

Any recommendations for neuropsych interviews?

I interviewed last year for neuro postdocs, and most of the questions seemed similar to those for internship: training goals, interests, strengths & weaknesses, & neuropsych specific questions (e.g., what battery would I use for X referral question, case conceptualization).

Some general things I remember asking the site about: case load, opportunities for tech support/tiered supervision (e.g., I see 4 patients a week at my postdoc site with a psychometrist testing for me and I only have to test once a month or more if I want), EPPP support/expectations of when to get licensed (since NP postdocs are 2 years), if the site retains postdocs for faculty/job positions after completion, and NP board certification prep.

Also—this is essentially your last time to be supervised, so I recommend thinking about the gaps in your training/areas of development and how the site can fill those before you go solo.

Happy to chat more via DM if you have more specific questions :)

This is VERY helpful. Thank you!!

I interviewed last year for neuro postdocs, and most of the questions seemed similar to those for internship: training goals, interests, strengths & weaknesses, & neuropsych specific questions (e.g., what battery would I use for X referral question, case conceptualization).

Some general things I remember asking the site about: case load, opportunities for tech support/tiered supervision (e.g., I see 4 patients a week at my postdoc site with a psychometrist testing for me and I only have to test once a month or more if I want), EPPP support/expectations of when to get licensed (since NP postdocs are 2 years), if the site retains postdocs for faculty/job positions after completion, and NP board certification prep.

Also—this is essentially your last time to be supervised, so I recommend thinking about the gaps in your training/areas of development and how the site can fill those before you go solo.

Happy to chat more via DM if you have more specific questions :)

These are great! I would also add turn around time for reports, and maybe ask to see an example report so you know what they will expect, there is so much variability. Also research time and opportunities. Less applicable now, but also potential funding for conferences or other professional development. The EPPP support is a huge one! I wish I had asked more about that and looked into potential avenues for funding. Dropping $800 as a fellow is quite crippling.

Reactions: 1 users
Got my first interview invitation! (Forensic Focus)

Official Site Name: Summit Behavioral Healthcare
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal EMail
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Forensic
Interview Dates Offered: 01/27; 02/02; 02/3; 02/5

• Love
Has anyone heard from Netcare?
Hey, sorry for the late comment.

I had emailed the TD at the end of November and again in mid-December with no response.

I submitted my application materials on 1/1/21. He responded a day later confirming receipt. Since then, he's been incredibly responsive with my emails, but no updates on hearing about interviews just yet.

Got my first interview invitation! (Forensic Focus)

Official Site Name: Summit Behavioral Healthcare
Interview Dates Offered: 01/27; 02/02; 02/3; 02/5
Ayy!!! Congrats

Date Invitation Received: 1/10/21
Interview Dates Offered: 1/21 or 1/27

Date Invitation Received: 1/10/21
Interview Dates Offered: 1/21 or 1/27
My friend has loved her experience as a post-doc here. I hope you have a great experience interviewing with them!

Official Site Name: Eastern State Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 1/11/2021
Interview Dates Offered: 01/19 - both in-person and videoconferencing options made available

Note: their TDs were SUPER nice and helpful throughout the application process!

Official Site Name: VA Salem (Virginia)
Date Invitation Received: 1/11/21
Specialty Track or Site: Clinical Psychology, Geropsychology emphasis
Interview Dates Offered: 1/26, 2/9, 2/16
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Not sure that I am, the interviews keep coming in. Good problem to have.

• Love
Official Site Name: New Mexico VA
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site: SMI emphasis
Interview Dates Offered: 1/12, 1/14, 1/25, 1/28, 1/29
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: the crown on netflix

Official Site Name: Psychiatric Institute of Washington
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site: N/A
Interview Dates Offered: They offered in person interview dates and stated that we could arrange zoom interviews for those of us out of state.
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: the crown on netflix

Official Site Name: Children's Medical Center Dallas
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site: Suicide/depression emphasis
Interview Dates Offered: 1/21 and 1/22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: I may or may not have made a spreadsheet documenting invitation dates from the last four years for the six sites left I am waiting to hear from, so clearly I am not.

Official Site Name: Mayo Clinic Rochester
Specialty Track or Site: Clinical child
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: see above ahahahaha

And DRUMROLLLLL PLEASEEE........ my first rejection!!!!!!!! I was grateful to be prepared for this one since I saw the invite on here forever ago.
Official Site Name: Michigan Medicine
Date Rejection Received: 1/11/21
Interview Dates Offered: that's cute
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: :banana:

Am I the only one that hates "we received many impressive applications from talented applicants".... gorl, if that was true I would have an interview, haha! Stop it!!!!!! Also, somehow they sent my rejection to the wrong e-mail, not an e-mail I created the account with or listed on my CV/cover letter, I'm not sure how they even found it.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Official Site Name: UMich/VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site: Women's Care & SUD positions for VAAAHS portion of the consortium
Interview Dates Offered: one 60 minute interview via Zoom (telephone if necessary) on any work day beginning 1/12/21 and ending 2/12/21; time slots offered every hour, on the hour from 0900 to 1600 EST on most days (I noticed some differences on a couple of days); requesting a response with any times available over the next month (via a link sent) by 1800 EST today.
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Reading anything but research articles

Reactions: 5 users
Posting for my friend :)
Official Site Name: Children’s National Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 1/11
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Pain fellowship
Interview Dates Offered: 1/22; 1/26; 1/29; 2/5 (for 1.5hr interview)
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: more wine

Official Site Name: Stanford University
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personalized email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Both Child Psychology and Pediatric Psychology
Interview Dates Offered: 1/22/2021
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: cats and chocolate!

Official Site Name: Children's Medical Center Dallas
Specialty Track or Site: Suicide/depression emphasis
Interview Dates Offered: 1/21 and 1/22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: I may or may not have made a spreadsheet documenting invitation dates from the last four years for the six sites left I am waiting to hear from, so clearly I am not.

Official Site Name: Mayo Clinic Rochester
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: see above ahahahaha

And DRUMROLLLLL PLEASEEE........ my first rejection!!!!!!!! I was grateful to be prepared for this one since I saw the invite on here forever ago.
Official Site Name: Michigan Medicine
Date Rejection Received: 1/11/21
Interview Dates Offered: that's cute
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: :banana:

Am I the only one that hates "we received many impressive applications from talented applicants".... gorl, if that was true I would have an interview, haha! Stop it!!!!!! Also, somehow they sent my rejection to the wrong e-mail, not an e-mail I created the account with or listed on my CV/cover letter, I'm not sure how they even found it.
Yay!!! Two invites!!!

• Love
Official Site Name: Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 1/12/2021
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personalized email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Ped Neuro
Interview Dates Offered: 2/2/2021 (several times within that day)
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: walks and playlists

Official Site Name: St. Jude
Date Invitation Received: 12/28/2020
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Ped Neuro
Interview Dates Offered: 1/25, 1/27, 1/29
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: walks and playlists

Anyone else afraid that even with interviews, you won't get offered a spot anywhere? (not that I have a ton of interviews, only 1 so far!)

I know I could find a job and make it a post doc, or use other problem solving skills to find some sort of income for myself, BUT IT'S STILL STRESSFUL.

• Care
Official Site Name: Alpert Medical School of Brown University / Providence VA Medical Center
Date Invitation Received: 1/12/21
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Primary Care Behavioral Health and Health Promotion/Disease Prevention
Interview Dates Offered: 1/26 or 2/1

• Love
Anyone else apply to/hear from the Palo Alto VA?

Official Site Name: AdventHealth Orlando
Specialty Track or Site: Adult Neuropsych
Interview Dates Offered: next week

Official Site Name: UT health San Antonio
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Memory Disorders/Neuropsych
Interview Dates Offered: 1/18 through 02/05

Official Site Name: Palo Alto VA
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Behavioral Medicine
Interview Dates Offered: 2/3 and 2/4
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: planning a long weekend getaway for when this process is all over

• Love
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: planning a long weekend getaway for when this process is all over
Oh, I’m so happy to see this! Love that you got it the same day you asked 🙂🙂🙂🙂

• Love
congrats! I applied to a different track. Hopefully I hear back soon although I haven't had good track record even when a site has notified for a different track. :(

congrats! I applied to a different track. Hopefully I hear back soon although I haven't had good track record even when a site has notified for a different track. :(
Sending good vibes that you hear good news soon!

Official Site Name: Alpert Medical School of Brown University / Providence VA Medical Center
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Primary Care Behavioral Health and Health Promotion/Disease Prevention
Interview Dates Offered: 1/26 or 2/1

Congratulations!!!!! Did any other Brown folks hear back from other tracks? They have so many, I wonder if they notify around the same time.

Official Site Name: Univ. of Mass. Medical School Primary Care Psychology and Medical Education
Specialty Track or Site: Primary Care
Interview Dates Offered: Feb 5th
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Going to the doctor from a horrible skin reaction :(

Official Site Name: Stanford University of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences - Pain Psychology
Specialty Track or Site: Pain Psychology
Interview Dates Offered: Feb 5th and 12th
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: I have no idea how I got these interviews :oops:

• Love
Official Site Name: San Diego Center for Children
How you're staying sane: Netflix and being busy with internship

Anyone else afraid that even with interviews, you won't get offered a spot anywhere? (not that I have a ton of interviews, only 1 so far!)

I know I could find a job and make it a post doc, or use other problem solving skills to find some sort of income for myself, BUT IT'S STILL STRESSFUL.
I’ve actually been stressing about the opposite(though don’t worry definitely plenty of room for stress about this too lol)

Have you/anyone considered if you were to get offered at a position that wasn’t a favorite, with top sites pending? That’s the one aspect of post-doc that seems more stressful than internship. My feeling is I’ll jump at the first offer I get and go for the “sure thing”, but it would be tough to then be offered an interview at a site I liked better afterwards..

Official Site Name: Hines VA
Specialty Track or Site: Trauma
Interview Dates Offered: Feb 4, and 11th either 8-10 ct or 10-12 ct