Postdoc Invitation Thread (2021-2022)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Official Site Name: Central State Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 1/12/2021
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal phone call from talent acquisition services
Specialty Track or Site: Forensic (ABFP Waiver)
Interview Dates Offered: 01/21; 01/26; 01/28

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve actually been stressing about the opposite(though don’t worry definitely plenty of room for stress about this too lol)

Have you/anyone considered if you were to get offered at a position that wasn’t a favorite, with top sites pending? That’s the one aspect of post-doc that seems more stressful than internship. My feeling is I’ll jump at the first offer I get and go for the “sure thing”, but it would be tough to then be offered an interview at a site I liked better afterwards..
Hey that’s a valid stressor too! Any licensed people on here that can offer advice on what to do in situations like this? I think I do recall someone posting about this.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else afraid that even with interviews, you won't get offered a spot anywhere? (not that I have a ton of interviews, only 1 so far!)

I know I could find a job and make it a post doc, or use other problem solving skills to find some sort of income for myself, BUT IT'S STILL STRESSFUL.
I feel you! In some ways, this process is more stressful than internship cause we don't have the formal matching process and, in some cases, there is only one postdoc spot at a site...in other ways it's much easier cause it costs MUCH less than internship, the odds are in our favor, and things feel a little more informal.

I am also getting burnout applying to training sites every year, selling myself, and constantly thinking about the future. In these moments, I try to have fun with it and remind myself that we (as a cohort) are totally worth these postdocs. These sites are just as lucky to be interviewing us as we are to be interviewing them!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had written this one off because I thought I had seen interview offers for this site posted much earlier, but turns out there is hope!

Official Site Name: Boston Children's
Date Invitation Received: 01/12
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Pediatric Neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: 01/19
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Chocolate. All of the chocolate.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Posting for a friend :

Official Site Name: Phoenix VAMC
Date Invitation Received: 01/12
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: February
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane:

Hey that’s a valid stressor too! Any licensed people on here that can offer advice on what to do in situations like this? I think I do recall someone posting about this.
I'm not licensed but it's my understanding that you can ask to hold the offer and contact your higher ranked sites. At my interviews so far I have been encouraged to contact them to see where I stand in their rankings if I receive an early offer from another site. I believe this works the same for uniform notification day.

Have you/anyone considered if you were to get offered at a position that wasn’t a favorite, with top sites pending? That’s the one aspect of post-doc that seems more stressful than internship. My feeling is I’ll jump at the first offer I get and go for the “sure thing”, but it would be tough to then be offered an interview at a site I liked better afterwards..
One thing to consider is the ratio between your postdocs that do and do not participate in the APPIC match since match sites can only make their offer within a small window and will want an answer ASAP that day.

If you receive an early offer (and some sites makes their offers early to secure candidates before match), I wouldn't accept it on the spot unless it's your absolute #1 and instead thank them and ask for time to consider the offer and negotiate a decision timeframe.

This would allow you to contact other sites and explain your situation (e.g., "I recently received an offer but I'm really interested in your site. I'm wondering if my application has been reviewed/offer decision has been made...."). Match sites aren't able to make offers before Match day so that's a different dilemma but non-Match postdocs can interview you or give you a decision whenever if they're motivated to bring you on board.

Some people will ultimately back out of accepted postdocs to take jobs or other opportunities that come up but know that you may be burning some professional bridges. No idea how frequently this happens overall but I know of a few colleagues who did this and they seem to be doing just fine nowadays.

Lastly, since a lot of folks don't do a formal postdoc, there are usually quality postdocs floating around later into the spring or summer that remain unfilled due to supply/demand dynamics. You're likely making some sacrifices to do a formal postdoc so don't sell yourself and the value you can bring an organization short. It may ultimately be in some people's interests to turn down an early offer that's not the best fit.

Official Site Name: Montefiore medical center (NYC)
Date Invitation Received: 01/13
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): bilingual clinical Neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: Towards end of Jan
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: im not

Reactions: 2 users
Official Site Name: Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta – Emory University School of Medicine
Date Invitation Received: 1/13/21
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Pediatric Psychology/Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorders Center
Interview Dates Offered: Towards 1/22, 2/1, 2/4
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: strugglinggg to organize and feeling overwhelmed

Official Site Name: San Antonio VA
Date Invitation Received: 1/13/21
Method of Invitation: Phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Health Psychology
Interview Dates Offered: 1/19 and another later in January that I can’t remember
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: honestly baffled by how this process has been polar opposite of the internship process and celebrating the little things

• Love
I’ve actually been stressing about the opposite(though don’t worry definitely plenty of room for stress about this too lol)

Hi! TD chiming in here. You likely already know this, but please be sure to familiarize yourself with the UND and the rules that apply to you and the training sites that have agreed to abide by the UND (e.g., you are able to call your top choice program if you get an offer from a program that is not your top choice-but then if they offer you must accept). You will be well served by considering several potential scenarios ahead of time. That will help you to make some hard decisions in the moment. Best of luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Staring at my inbox as if I can just will these last few notifications to come in.....

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Staring at my inbox as if I can just will these last few notifications to come in.....
omg I have been refreshing my inbox obsessively all week. I know it won’t speed anything along but I still do.

anyone hear from clark county consortium or northwest forensic institute?

• Love
omg I have been refreshing my inbox obsessively all week. I know it won’t speed anything along but I still do.

anyone hear from clark county consortium or northwest forensic institute?
Oh hey!!! I also applied to Clark county- no, I haven’t heard anything yet! Although I believe they began reviewing on January 1st!

Because you're skilled and amazing. Duh!
Thank you! I actually feel validated for the first time in a while. I will have some difficult decisions in the next month, especially given I’m a single mother of 2 kiddos. I can’t believe I see the end!

• Love
Rejection this morning 01/14/21 from Washington DC VA Medical Center PTSD Trauma Services Program

• Care
  • Sad
  • Wow
I noticed Harris County Juvenile Probation said they will make offers on 02/05. Should I assume if I haven't gotten an interview yet, I won't get one?

I got an email this morning from a site that basically said that they feel that I would be a good fit for a job opening they currently have and suggested doing an informal postdoc rather than doing their formal postdoc. As they explained it- this would mean they would pay me more than the incoming postdocs, but I'd likely have to do some of the supervision time outside of work hours. They said I'd have to apply, but they think I would be a strong applicant.

On the one hand, it feels weird to accept a long-term job across the country in a state I have only been to once. On the other, the thought of stability and not having to apply for jobs after a postdoc is appealing. The job does seem to be a good fit. Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of formal vs informal postdocs?

I got an email this morning from a site that basically said that they feel that I would be a good fit for a job opening they currently have and suggested doing an informal postdoc rather than doing their formal postdoc. As they explained it- this would mean they would pay me more than the incoming postdocs, but I'd likely have to do some of the supervision time outside of work hours. They said I'd have to apply, but they think I would be a strong applicant.

On the one hand, it feels weird to accept a long-term job across the country in a state I have only been to once. On the other, the thought of stability and not having to apply for jobs after a postdoc is appealing. The job does seem to be a good fit. Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of formal vs informal postdocs?

I'd want to know about didactics, and guarantee of certain supervision requirements. You need guarantees that what they are offering will meet licensing requirements for the state(s) that you may ultimately end up settling in, or possibly moving to.

Does doing supervision outside of work hours means you will have to pay someone else for supervision?

Also, my friend was offered an informal postdoc/job where the pay was high (90k) but they wanted to charge him something like $1,200 for supervision each month, so he declined. That seemed like an odd offer to me. So if I was in your position, I would ask if the pay listed is the pay, or if some of that would be docked for supervision.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard back from Stanford Medicine's Adult Psychosocial General Track? I saw interview posts from their other tracks

Does doing supervision outside of work hours means you will have to pay someone else for supervision?

Also, my friend was offered an informal postdoc/job where the pay was high (90k) but they wanted to charge him something like $1,200 for supervision each month, so he declined. That seemed like an odd offer to me. So if I was in your position, I would ask if the pay listed is the pay, or if some of that would be docked for supervision.
They have stated they would provide the supervision- they have formal postdocs there and are a part of a larger consortium with interns so I think they've got lots of people willing to supervise. But I haven't asked them about paying for the supervision yet- that's definitely something I need to ask about. Also good tips about the contract getting hours specified for supervision, and also asking about didactics. Thanks all!

Anybody hear from Brown, McLean, or Mt Sinai for adolescent DBT yet? I’m an eager beaver and getting worried 😟

Glad invites are still coming in, I still have several sites to hear from either way...

Official Site Name: University of Michigan Rehab Psychology/Neuropsychology
Date Invitation Received: 1/14/21
Method of Invitation: personal e-mail
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Peds Neuro
Interview Dates Offered: 2/2/2021 hour-long slots throughout the day

Official Site Name: UM/ AAVAHCS Consortium
Date Invitation Received: 01/14
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult, Womens Adult
Interview Dates Offered: TBD 1/12 to 2/14

Didn't think I'd get an interview after other people posted about getting an offers awhile ago!

Official Site Name: University of Florida Clinical Health Psychology Post Doctoral Program
Date Invitation Received: 1/14/21
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Health psychology
Interview Dates Offered: Feb 15th
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: How in the world! UUUgggghhh 11 interviews - I guess a good problem to have. I wish I could cope with wine but due to my skin condition I had to stop :( so I guess it's doing my morning cardio and yoga trapeze everyday

• Care
Hey everyone!! Happy (and healthy) New Year :) Has anyone heard anything from Western State Hospital in Washington? I only applied to that site for a formal postdoc and it's been radio silence so I though I'd check in here!!

Last edited:
Hi all! Long time lurker, so wonderful to see such support and entrhusiam within this group. I don't know if there's a more appropriate place to post (and my apologies if so) -- I was wondering if anyone had any insight or experiences about the University of Portland or Portland State University's post-docs? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

• Love
Hey everyone!! Happy (and healthy) New Year :) Has anyone heard anything from Western State Hospital in Washington? I only applied to that site for a formal postdoc and it's been radio silence so I though I'd check in here!!
nope me either

What questions do you guys ask during your postdoc interview?

I always have an abundance of questions - it will be site specific. Read over their handbook and website and jot down any clarification questions. I always start with how they coped with COVID, how it affected post docs and how they anticipate it to affect the site at the beginning of fellowship. This tends to open some really interesting conversations.

I'd also ask questions about how they intend to support your continued career development (preceptor/non-clinical mentorship models, EPPP support/resources/dedicated study time, support for getting time off to attend trainings/webinars, etc).

This can help you get a better sense of how each program can further your career beyond gaining more clinical experiences and licensure hours, which would also happen if you went the job route.

Rejection from North Texas (Dallas) VA-neuropsychology
Received: 12/15/2021

• Care
rejection from Philadelphia Crescenz VA Mental Health Clinic
01/15/21
week of rejections it seems

• Care
Official Site Name: UChicago Medicine
Date Invitation Received: 1/15/2021
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Trauma
Interview Dates Offered: 1/21/2021
If & How you're staying sane: Cuddles with my doggo

• Love
Official Site Name: University of Missouri at St Louis Center for Behavioral Health
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Interview Dates Offered: 01/20, 01/21, 01/25 and 01/26
If & How you're staying sane
: not staying sane haha

Anyone heard from Virginia Commonwealth University or Rush University clinical health psychology programs?

Official Site Name: VA Pittsburgh
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Geropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: 2/3, 2/8, and 2/12
If & How you're staying sane: Eating copious amounts of banana bread

Official Site Name: VA in St. Louis
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass Email of notification to accept or not accept interview offer
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Evidence Based Practice
Interview Dates Offered: will be contacted next week to set up times
If & How you're staying sane
: not staying sane haha

Official Site Name: Clark County Consortium
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Interview Dates Offered: 2/2 or 1/29
If & How you're staying sane: taking naps in between sessions at this point....

Rejection: Netcare Forensic Center
Received: 1/15/2021

To their credit, it was a one the nicer rejections emails I've ever received.

• Care
Official Site Name: Northwest Forensic Institute

Date Invitation Received: 01/15/2021

Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email

Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A

Interview Dates Offered: 1/29 or 2/1

If a site sent out a mass invite, is it worth it to send out an email to inquire about your status, or should I just write the site off as a rejection?

A site did not offer me an interview but said they’re going to rank me? Should I reach out and at least try and talk with a postdoc.

A site did not offer me an interview but said they’re going to rank me? Should I reach out and at least try and talk with a postdoc.
I don't think it would hurt you - I mean worst thing they can say is no. I say go for it, especially if you are ranking them high and would like more info on it.

Official Site Name: Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial VA Medical Center (Bedford VA)
Date Invitation Received: 1/16/2021
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site: Primary Care Behavioral Health
Interview Dates Offered: 1/26, 2/4, 2/8

Yesterday was busy

Official Site Name: Kaiser Permanente Northern California Central Bay Consortium Oakland
Date Invitation Received: 1/15/21
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): addiction medicine
Interview Dates Offered: three Wednesdays in february 3, 10, 17

Official Site Name: Kaiser Permanente Northern California South Bay Consortium San Francisco
Date Invitation Received: 1/15/21
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Addiction Medicine
Interview Dates Offered: asked me to complete a survey to request interviews by monday 01/18

Official Site Name: Eating Recovery Center for Chicago
Date Invitation Received: 1/16/21
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Mood Anxiety and Eating Disorders
Interview Dates Offered: will schedule next week

• Love