Position in ERAS application for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feb14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am an IMG planning to apply for this upcoming Match.
I have worked with a couple of US physicians in their private practices where I was able to take history, perform PE and document patient notes electronically (all under supervision of the physician). My question is what should I call this experience? I know it is not observership since I interacted with patients so I would really appreciate help with labeling such kind of experience.

Thank you all in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

You can call it whatever you'd like. I'd just say it was a clinical experience and describe it.

Unfortunately, what you did is actually illegal without a medical license of some sort. But you're not on the hook for this -- the docs that let you do it are. And no one is really ever going to care - unless one of those patients sues for some form of malpractice. But again, there is no risk to you here and nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 1 user
You can call it whatever you'd like. I'd just say it was a clinical experience and describe it.

Unfortunately, what you did is actually illegal without a medical license of some sort. But you're not on the hook for this -- the docs that let you do it are. And no one is really ever going to care - unless one of those patients sues for some form of malpractice. But again, there is no risk to you here and nothing to worry about.
Thank you for your reply Dr. I did not know it was illegal!!! I did everything under the doctor's supervision and the patient's permission and I was already ECFMG certified when I did that...

Thank you for your reply Dr. I did not know it was illegal!!! I did everything under the doctor's supervision and the patient's permission and I was already ECFMG certified when I did that...
But you were not a student in a clinical rotation and I presume you have no license to practice in the states...you can be a scribe but the licensed doctor has to do all of the interaction with the pt

Reactions: 1 user