Positions for OMFS residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fener

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at some of the threads and noticed that there we a number of "unmatched" residency programs. So, does this mean that out of all the OMFS Residency positions in the states, not all the spot were filled? I forget how the match works, since i've been out of school for several years. I've actually been thinking about going back to specialty in OMFS, but wasn't aware of the difficulty of getting accepted into a program . Do we have any current OMFS residents out there or prospects that may be able to shed some light on this topic. ? thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

The match occurs every January. Unmatched spots are up for grabs. You just have to contact the program directors and send them your applications materials. In general, these spots fill up within a few days. Did you apply this year?

Hey thanks for the reply. I havent applied but i know its that time of year for the match. I wish i had applied a few months ago. I would love to be able to get into a program this late in the game but thats why i was posting this thread, to see what people are up to. Do u know what the acceptance rate is with regards to the number of applicants? Are you a resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the reply. I havent applied but i know its that time of year for the match. I wish i had applied a few months ago. I would love to be able to get into a program this late in the game but thats why i was posting this thread, to see what people are up to. Do u know what the acceptance rate is with regards to the number of applicants? Are you a resident?

I'm a resident. The acceptance rate has been pretty good for a few years. There is only 1.3 applicants for every 1 position. However, I think it's a pretty self-selective application pool, because everyone looks the same (looks good) on paper. In general, programs look for part 1 board scores over 90 and in the top 10% of your class, but I know people who have matched with less. Interviews and deadlines are almost done for this year, but for next year you could start by getting info here:

http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/
http://www.adea.org/PASS/Programs/main.htm

Very nice. I'm guessing thats not a bad ratio. Basically, if i havent applied already, i wouldnt have any shot at this year at all? I saw people talking about some programs that did not match at all. Does that mean they go back and reconsider the previous applicants? R u an OMFS resident?