Positive and negative in destroyer answer choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vvvv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in ochem I saw couple questions that have +- in front of the products. what do they mean by that? anybody knows?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I’ve seen that one too. For example, in question 29, we see a +- sign, and from my understanding, this is used to show enantiomers of the product. For example, when we are dealing with BH3, THF, with H2O2 and OH-, the product is syn addition of OH and H. Thus, it can add cis and trans to the product. In a much deeper understanding, it refers to the plane of polarized light. Such things are determined experimentally, but it means that one bends light clockwise and the other counterclockwise.
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. You have to excuse sometimes my lengthy explanations to some of the questions, but since I don't know how much of an understanding a person has for the concepts, I structure my answers to build from the basics and develop a deeper understanding for the concepts. :)

You better know which rxns give enatiomers and and which ones give meso or optically active compounds when reacted. They certainly show up on the test.