1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

positive DO press from People Magazine

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by anti-cardio, Jul 8, 2000.

1. anti-cardio

anti-cardio Junior Member

In the July 17th issue of People (Meg Ryan/Dennis Quaid on the cover) there is a very positive/interesting article about a DO on page 117. It seems a Dr. Lisa Grigg in Vermont was getting her oil changed and noticed the pricing system posted on the wall. She got to thinking "that board was being honest with me. I wondered why medicine couldn't be like that" so she came up with a pricing system for her practice. She is strictly private pay - no insurances, and has prices such as "labor $2.00 a minute, small bandages $1.00, large bandages $2.00, and on up to knee splints $30.00." She says some doctors gripe she is undercutting their services, Grigg insists her approach is an attempt to repair the fractured relationship between the medical community & patients. So, what do you guys think? Sure did get her some free exposure! The article did not mention that she is a D.O. but in the picture she is wearing scrubs with her name embroidered on the pocket.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

I am sorry I missed that article. That idea is really good, though I don't know how well it would work in a larger practice in a large city. But for a pure cash basis, small rural practice, it might be beneficial for both the doc and patient.

I live out in the rural boonies, and my parents always used to tease me that I was going to have the barter system for my practice...one chicken for a shot, 2 pigs to deliver a baby, etc etc. [​IMG]

Billie

4. RockyMan

RockyMan Member
    10+ Year Member

Dr. Grigg is fairly well known, I believe, on the basis of her pricing scheme. I've heard her interviewed on NPR at least a couple of times, and I believe she was profiled on one of the major network newsmagazine shows within the last year or so.

From what I've heard her say, she was inspired by the price list board at an auto service center, but her motivation was mainly to avoid the time/hassle cost of doing paperwork associated w/ conventional medical insurance payment forms. Less paperwork = more time w/ pts. I guess she translates that into 'repairing the fractured relationship' between pts and physicians. Her system looks to me like conventional fee-for-service, except everything's for cash up front and and the service range and prices are publicly posted.

As far as making it work generally, I don't see that as a likely outcome for most of us. I suppose it's conceivable that fee-for-service might become more prevalent once again-- stranger things have happened-- but certainly the trend is in the other direction. In the interviews I heard, Dr. Grigg said her practice was oriented mostly toward acute care (strains, sprains, fevers, etc.). So I think maybe a minority of drs could do the same thing, but only a few.

I don't think you could do it if you were the only physician in a rural community: you would have to deal with a lot of other long-term, expensive and non-reimbursible patient procedures. What about pts who have insurance, do you still make them pay in cash? Hard to be popular that way. You would have to have other physicians around to handle the non-cash cases.

As for good publicity for DO's, I haven't heard Dr. Grigg's story done as an 'osteopathy promotion' feature anywhere, and in fact, I'm not sure that there might possibly be more MD's doing this type of cash/barter practice than DO's. I know that there are other doctors that do it, but I haven't seen any research data on the overall physician population. Personally, my program for promoting DO's is pretty basic: make the DO schools excellent, ensure that they turn out excellent physicians who go into outstanding residency programs, and become exemplary doctors in whatever fields they choose, period and end of story.

I like hearing about doctors who are terrific, but whether or not they are DO's or MD's doesn't increase or decrease my admiration for them. It's good to see DO physicians who are successful featured in the media, but I think that's mostly so that students at osteopathic medical schools can aspire to the same career tracks as the MD students, and not feel marginalized or 'ghetto-ized.'

------------------
    Question Authority & Overturn Dogma

5. anti-cardio

anti-cardio Junior Member

I am suprised at how everyone is ready to analize and get defensive over every word of every posting/topic. Any positive press is good press. My husband is the physician and I am a marketer so in this area, I know what I am talking about. I am simply excited to read an interesting article about a new way of doing things and the subject happens to be a DO. I am also pleased that throughout the article she is referred to as a "doctor" and "physician". If there was anything else said about her that would indicate anything negitive, you would be freaking out just the same. Get a grip! Now excuse me, I have to collect my dry cleaning that is going into the shop tomorrow where I will have NO IDEA how much I will be paying because they do not post their prices. As a consumer, I think that sucks.