Possibility of Applying Next Cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StericHindrance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have posted here a few times in my long and winding path to professional school. I am currently pursuing my masters in Clinical Exercise Physiology (finally switched!). I graduated from undergrad with a 3.24 cGPA and 3.1sGPA. I wasn't sure what to do after undergrad but I loved fitness and so now I'm a GA working in fitness. Now that I'm here, I realize that it isn't my true passion. I never really stopped wanting to go to dental school, but I found an opportunity to get my masters degree paid for, so I took it.

Anyway, I moved far away from home and now I'm hoping to go back to my state school (cheaper, closer to home, etc.). I have a few prerequisites to take for the school which will be done before I finish my masters degree, but maybe not before the next app cycle begins. I will be taking the DAT next semester as well, so I know a lot of this depends on how that goes.

Also, my state school offers a 1 year masters specifically designed for pre-professional students. I was thinking that I would be willing to do that program in order to gain admission to my state school before considering attending other schools. I was wondering if that would be possible, or would it look bad if I did 2 masters programs? Also, if that's the case would it be better to spend the extra year (second year of my masters program) to increase my competitiveness before applying or should I go for it this coming cycle then reapply if necessary? I was hoping to be able to strengthen my app enough with these first 2 semesters and summer class, hopefully knock out the DAT and gain admission for the fall of 2015, which is when I will finish my masters degree. Is this a feasible plan or am I looking more likely at starting the year after that?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.