possibility of dural tear while explanting scs leads

Discussion in 'Pain Medicine' started by painfre, Sep 6, 2014.

1. painfre

7+ Year Member

what is the possibility of dural tear while explanting scs perc medtronic leads? Original medtronic stim was implanted in 2001. Battery revised 3 times in the past from different physicians. The current one is 3 years old and patient wants the leads to removed. Pt has seen neuro surgery outside who referred to pain physician for removal. Is there any possibility of epidural fibrosis or any other difficulty in explanting leads? Is it advisable to attempt this when there is no neurosurgeon to consult in the hosp?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. clubdeac

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yes there is obvious likelihood of epidural fibrosis and chance or dural tear. Percent? Idk

4. lobelsteve

lobelsteve SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Between zero and slightly more. Likely well under one percent. I think have explanted more than most folks when I returned to a training program and found they stopped using anchors over the leads. No issues to date. Also have taken out a dozen SJM S8 leads with no problems. Nothing to worry about.

5. painfre

7+ Year Member

I do not have experience in explanting the leads before. is the feel same as taking out the leads after trial? if it is a trial lead, i can Just pullout easily with thumb index finger without exerting much force. What if does not come out? Worst the case scenario, cut the leads, close and refer to neurosurgeon is one option I have. Or just refer to different neurosurgeon outside VA for explanting the whole device which is safest off all but spending some more tax payers dollars.

6. NJPAIN

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just curious Steve, S8 hasn't been around that long. What have been the circumstances under which you have taken a dozen out? Lead migration, fracture,etc or do you not like the S8 and explant it in favor of another array?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

7. algosdoc

algosdoc algosdoc
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have explanted many without resistance. There is epidural fibrosis that surround the leads and the leads exist within channels inside the epidural fibrosis but there is neither strong adherence of fibrosis.

8. emd123

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Can happen with paddle explants much more easily, though. Can't it?

9. lobelsteve

lobelsteve SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    All of the above. Mostly battery issues and loss of pain relief despite stimulus in painful area.

10. clubdeac

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I stand corrected... disregard my post