sandstone

7+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm shooting for a very competitive specialty and would like to have a backup plan just in case. Top 10% of class, ~650 COMLEX I, ~680 COMLEX II, one EM study invited to present at ACEP conference, (but we couldn't make it there), good volunteer experience, unique leadership experience as a mountaineering guide prior to medical school. I'm wondering:

Is EM even worth trying as a backup since I have not done an EM rotation, have no EM LORs, and since I'm doing auditions for my top specialty choice, will not have time for 4th year EM rotation to get an SLOE. Can my stats alone possibly land me an EM spot if I need it? Should I even bother applying to EM?

Same for FM, except I have some good FM LORs at least. It's probably obvious based on my rotations that it's a backup, so to what extent will PDs be put off by that?

Thanks.

kenjixshadow

5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2014
Totland
Status
Medical Student
Is EM even worth trying as a backup since I have not done an EM rotation, have no EM LORs, and since I'm doing auditions for my top specialty choice, will not have time for 4th year EM rotation to get an SLOE. Can my stats alone possibly land me an EM spot if I need it? Should I even bother applying to EM?.
You can forget about ACGME EM. Every program will require at least an SLOE and because you didn't take the USMLE. AOA EM is tricky. Many programs will require you to rotate there to land an interview. Go to EM osteopathic thread to find out which and avoid of applying to them. You may land some interviews. You need to do this ASAP. Programs already start sending out IIs.

OP
sandstone

sandstone

7+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah this is what I was thinking. Wouldn't even bother with ACGME since no SLOE, did take USMLE though and did pretty well on both. Some have told me that the guiding experience could be appreciated by EM programs.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
If you don't match the competitive specialty you could do a transitional year and reapply EM or of your chances aren't good know have a "change of heart" and do an intern year and then get the SLOE or whatever it's called.

Not the most direct or safest route of course.