Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Possibility of entering med school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by laserdex, 05.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. laserdex

laserdex

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey there,

I am a foreign student currently majoring in biomedical engineering as my undergraduate studies. As I have screwed up my grades for my first year of studies, my overall GPA is affected.

May I know how can I go about to improve the situation? WIll a good MCAT score increase my chances? What should I do now? Should I shadow doctors?

Do appreciate any forms of help out there!

Thank you!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. shiftingmirage

shiftingmirage 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How "screwed up" are your grades?
    You can increase your chances by getting better grades from here on. A good MCAT score will help, but it will not make up for a 2.0 GPA.
    You will want some shadowing and volunteering. Research is always a plus but not absolutely necessary. You can also get a part time job. Try and see if there are tutoring or TA positions available at your school.

4. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Three or four more years of excellent college grades will go a long way toward diluting out the mediocre grades of a freshman year. If your current study strategies aren't effective, meet with an adviser for some help figuring things out. You could also consider changing majors if you think this one is too challenging.

5. kevinus

kevinus Invictus 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are you a permanent resident? Otherwise, it will be nearly impossible.

DifferentialDiagnosis likes this.

About the ads