Possibility of FM as backup to competitive specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandstone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, posted something similar in the osteo forum but thought I'd post here too to get some thoughts.

I'm shooting for a very competitive specialty and would like to have a backup plan just in case. Top 10% of class, ~650 COMLEX I, ~680 COMLEX II, ~235 USMLE I, ~ 240 USMLE II, one EM study invited to present at ACEP conference, (but we couldn't make it there), good volunteer experience, unique leadership experience.

Was thinking either EM or FM as the backup, but seems that EM is not a possibility without LORs or SLOE, or even an EM rotation.

How about FM? I have 2 good FM LORs from third year rotations. Will I get interviews and possibly match at a decent program if I need to with just my stats and letters alone since I will not be doing any FM auditions? It's probably obvious that FM is a backup based on my rotations, to what extent will PDs be put off by that? Any advice about how to approach this is appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.