Possibility of taking STEP 1 and 2 during Residency?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freshness30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't really post a lot but need advice. DO student Matched IM (AOA) no in-house fellowship. Didn't taking USMLE. Interested in doing Fellowship (GI, Heme/Onc, Pulm/CC the list could increase). can a Resident take STEP 1 and 2 during Residency to be more competitive for fellowship? Or have y'all heard of any one taking STEP 1 and 2 during residency?

COMLEX I >520
COMLEX II >550
COMLEX PE: pass first attempt

Thanks for the Help

Members don't see this ad.

Don't really post a lot but need advice. DO student Matched IM (AOA) no in-house fellowship. Didn't taking USMLE. Interested in doing Fellowship (GI, Heme/Onc, Pulm/CC the list could increase). can a Resident take STEP 1 and 2 during Residency to be more competitive for fellowship? Or have y'all heard of any one taking STEP 1 and 2 during residency?

COMLEX I >520
COMLEX II >550

Thanks for the Help

I don't think this is realistic. People take a whole month off to study for step 1, as I'm sure you did for comlex. You're not gonna have time to do that in residency, and doing good research would probably serve you better at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users

COMLEX I >520
COMLEX II >550

Thanks for the Help

Never heard of it, and I can’t imagine anyone doing very well on the exams with all the clinical responsibilities you have.

Also, those are 2 of the 3 most competitive IM fellowships at the moment. Many if not most require ACGME residency completion to be eligible for the fellowship, and these will have enough applicants to screen out those that dont complete such a program.

I’d explore your options further and ask your senior residents/recent grads if they have been able to break into such fellowships and how they went about it.

COMLEX I >520
COMLEX II >550

Thanks for the Help

I don't think this is realistic. Most people take a month or more to study for step 1, and similar time frame for step 2. The material in step 1 is very much non clinical and random, reason why it would be challenging to take it post med school - you are far away from the more non-clinical stuff, and the further you are in residency the less well you are likely to do on the exam. I think you'd do yourself a favor and focus on things like research, building good connections/relationships with people that matter. Fellowship is more about being a good resident who is well thought of clinically and who has done well than scores really.