Possible 2021-2022 Reapplicant, Advice for Gap Year/Revised School List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroticfilm

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an applicant for this current cycle with a LizzyM score of 73.3 (3.84/516 {129/126/131/130}) as a recent graduate and CA ORM. I completed my primary and secondary at 14 schools between 9/7 and 9/11, and I have nothing besides 2 rejections and holds. My school list:

Albert Einstein
Rosalind Franklin
George Washington (H)
Kaiser
USC
UCSD (H)
UCLA (R)
UCI
UCSF (R)
SUNY (H)
Tufts
Tulane (H)
U of Illinois
NYMC (H)

For next cycle, I plan to add:
UCR (alumni/born and raised)
U Colorado Boulder
UNLV
Albany
Drexel
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
U of Miami
Georgetown
U of Central Florida
U of Florida
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Temple
Boston U
Hackensack Meridian
U of Arizona
Quinnipac
Oakland
Creighton
St. Louis
Rochester
Case Western
Hofstra
Penn State
Stony Brook
I'll probably also apply to 5-10 DO schools like Western Pomona, RVUCOM, Michigan State, U of New England, North Texas, ACOM

I just wanted to know how I can best use the rest of this and next year to augment my application in preparation for a reapp. I think that's a significant problem for my lack of success this cycle as I should've applied to way more and way earlier. My EC's are:

Minigrant funded Research in Astrocyte Dynamics in Epilepsy (500 hours): Project cut short by covid, no pub
Peer mentor for Highlander Gloves and On the Rise (277 hours): Mentored impoverished kids academically and in boxing
Science Academic Tutor for my University (700 hours): Taught and established close relationships with underclassmen at my school
Opthamology and Family Medicine Shadowing (160 hours)
Food Delivery and Preparation (80 hours and ongoing): Homeless food prep while in school, delivery driver during Covid for Feeding America
Drug Discovery and Protein Crystallography Lab (300 hours): First research gig, protein crystallization and x-ray diffraction, no pub
Summer Clinical Volunteering (325): I volunteered at an ED for 240 hours, then at the optho clinic for 45, then a DO FM practice for 40.
Musician(~600 hours): Wrote and performed with a friend as a duo at a couple shows in guitar/vocals around campus/city.
Honors: Chancellor/Dean List, Minigrant Research Award, BJJ Blue Belt

My EC's are spread out over the course of the 4 years, and if timeline matters I would be happy to elucidate that. I don't think my EC's are the problem, but I may have a weak PS or LOR's. My PS had to do with my pursuit of music instead of medicine originally, but how my experiences with medicine have led me to want to pursue that to heal people in a more complete and tangible way. I think it was a decent idea, but the way I wrote it may have indicated a lack of maturity. My most meaningfuls were the top 3 EC's I listed, but I think the research one was the weakest one as I do not have a letter from my PI, and I did not get any presentation or pub.

In regards to my LOR's, I think I have 2 strong letters (Tutoring work supervisor, and class professor letter) and one neutral-positive letter (Lab Class Professor) and I think that has hurt me a lot in this application cycle at these very competitive schools/cycle. I think my secondaries were decent, I had my sisters (who are in medicine) look over them before I submitted.

TLDR: My stats/EC's/School List above, how can I improve for the next cycle? I'm a little lost on what parts of my application need improvement. I'm interested in working in EMT/Tech roles but I'm limited by my parents, and it seems like I should wait for the vaccinations to come out. Meanwhile I've been volunteering as a food delivery driver and online tutoring for underprivileged families. Besides that, I know that next cycle I NEED to apply as soon as the AMCAS window opens, submit secondaries much quicker, and greatly expand my school list (and maybe AACOMAS). Probably will also revise my PS, and ask for more letters.

Sorry for espousing my life, I just would like a little advice or guidance. My family is in medicine, but my parents don't quite understand how crazy competitive the process is, and are limiting me (They don't want me to work entry level jobs in healthcare and have threatened to kick me out if I pursue EMT licensing/work). Thank you so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest eliminating some schools that take few OOS applicants. Could consider adding UVM, maybe Emory.

Reactions: 1 user
Your grades, MCAT, and ECs are all solid. Looking through your app, your school list is the major factor holding you back. 14 schools is too small of a school list, especially for a CA ORM. To make matters worse, your school list is made worse by the fact that it's full of low yield schools (Tulane, NYMC, Rosalind Franklin, George Washington, Tufts, Kaiser), top-20 schools (UCLA, UCSF), and protected in-state schools (Illinois, SUNY). It's fine to have some mix of these schools on your list, but they should not be the majority of your list. It's a crapshoot for all but the most spectacular applicants for low-yield/top 20 schools, and the state schools you applied to likely admitted OOS students with strong ties to the state.

I would focus on your school list (which from your post is much better for your re-app but still needs a bit of work) and make sure your writing is solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
UNLV - Low OOS AFAIK
Albany - Low yield
Drexel - Low yield
Florida State - Low OOS AFAIK, replace with USF unless you despise graded schools
Georgetown - Mission specific, service I believe ?? Add if it aligns with your application
U of Central Florida - Low OOS AFAIK
U of Florida - Low OOS AFAIK
Boston U - Mission specific, social justice I believe?? Add if it aligns with your application
Hackensack Meridian - Low OOS AFAIK + primary care mission oriented (3 year program), add if it aligns with your application
Penn State - Low OOS AFAIK
Stony Brook - Low OOS AFAIK

CUSM still new has issues but still an option, Northstate is for-profit that won't let you take out federal loan I think but still an option.

Applying to low yield isn't a horrible idea - people still get selected in low yield schools, just by applying to increase your chance from 0% to something higher than 0%. Just marked them though just for you to consider - "Do I want to apply here for a slight chance or to other schools that will give me more chance?" What is that "other school that will give you more chance" you ask? I don't know either med school cycle sucks so play off the AAMC Table A or something would be my advice. Think places like cinny, uvm, and emory have not too bad oos rates (I haven't looked at stats though)

Thanks dudes, I'll definitely sift through the school list threads and check out CA friendly OOS's.