This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1023083

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want MD you gotta retake the MCAT. But honestly, if you get 510 or more your chances of MD are pretty solid. If you don't do substantially better DO may the more probable option. Either way, apply to both.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello I have applied to medical school twice now and need some advice. I am an ORM Missouri resident.

My cGPA is a 3.90 and sGPA is a 3.80

I have a 504 MCAT (128/122/126/129)

1st cycle: 1 interview to state school ------> rejected post interview

2nd cycle: 2 interviews: 1 interview to state school -----> rejected post interview ; I have a second interview coming up in a few weeks at TCU-UNT so there is still hope :)

I am open to applying DO next cycle and want to have a set plan. I have always wanted to be an MD. Do I try to retake MCAT or get masters to improve chances for MD? or do I surrender and go to a DO school?

Here are my ECS:

1) Medical assistant- 3000 hours
2) Hospice volunteer- 100 hours
3) ER volunteer- 85 hours
4) Medical mission trip to Nicaragua- 60 hours
5) Research in lab at undergrad- 750 hours
6) Clinical research for a summer- 350 hours
7) Phi beta Kappa-> honor society member
8) Scholarship chairman for fraternity (leadership position)- 500 hours
9) volunteer for after school program working with disadvantaged kids- 35 hours
10) other community volunteering- 40 hours
11) shadowing- 216 across specialties and family med
If you're gunning for MD, you need to retake the MCAT and score 510+.

Get in more clinical experience. The Central American trips will be viewed as medical tourism.

You also need more service to others less fortunate than yourself. And no more shadowing or research either. 200+ hours shadowing is major overkill.

And DO schools have to be on your list next time. You've already burned two years of clinical salary,

Reactions: 1 users
I may be rare, but I was just accepted to med school this cycle, my fifth. Things I did to improve my outcome this time (best cycle yet, 3 interviews, 1 acceptance so far), got a master's to improve my GPA that included substantial clinical hours and original research (might not be a problem for you), applied broadly, realized that I might not end up at my dream school, found passions within volunteerism that I will stick with throughout medical school.

Any recommendations on what I could do as an activity to serve the underserved?

For volunteerism, I returned to a program that I had been volunteering with before I moved tutoring high school students who will be first generation college students. Many programs like this have gone remote during the pandemic and can use more volunteers.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Any recommendations on what I could do as an activity to serve the underserved?
For right now, food banks, and what ever your local houses of worship can suggest.

In general, service need not be "unique"; it can be anything that helps people unable to help themselves and that is outside of a patient-care setting. If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients.

• Love
Thank you! I hope so! It's been a long road, but I can't imagine doing anything else with my life, so I've poured everything into it. I'm lucky that I have really good support, and I'm hoping that the pandemic will have subsided enough that I can have many of them with me when I receive my white coat in the fall.

Do you want to be an MD or a physician? Should have applied DO from the get go with that MCAT...Mine was higher than yours and I only heard from DO schools. you wasted two years of attending salary on your ego if you don't make it this cycle.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not even state MD schools???
You got rejected from our own state school.

How will your app have improved for the upcoming cycle?

Working on interview skills will always help.

With a 504 MCAT, and a 122 CARS score, any other MD schools will be extremely difficult, to the point where I can't recommend applying to them

I recommend any DO program. Include OSUCOM. I can't recommend ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

I know you are right. My MCAT isn’t great. Do I quit my job and retake Mcat?
OP, you’re an ORM with a 504 MCAT on your third application cycle and you’re still hung up about MD v DO. You’re not competitive for US MD schools. I’m concerned with your lack of insight. You should have quit your job and studied for the MCAT prior to your first cycle or applied DO if you didn’t want to do that. What have you been doing these last two years aside from racking up hrs?

If you want MD, quit all your activities (you have enough) and study for the MCAT full time. It may already be too late to have an MCAT for this cycle considering it’s late May already. No ones stopping you from applying MD but saying you’re "surrendering for DO schools" when 50% of DO students have better stats than you is very bizarre.

Last edited:
  • Love
OP, you’re an ORM with a 504 MCAT on your third application cycle and you’re still hung up about MD v DO. You’re not competitive for US MD schools. I’m concerned with your lack of insight. You should have quit your job and studied for the MCAT prior to your first cycle or applied DO if you didn’t want to do that. What have you been doing these last two years aside from racking up hrs?

If you want MD, quit all your activities (you have enough) and study for the MCAT full time. It may already be too late to have an MCAT for this cycle considering it’s late May already. No ones stopping you from applying MD but saying you’re surrendering for DO schools when 50% of DO students have better stats th

If you want MD, quit all your activities (you have enough) and study for the MCAT full time. It may already be too late to have an MCAT for this cycle considering it’s late May already. No ones stopping you from applying MD but saying you’re surrendering for DO schools when 50% of DO students have better stats than you is very bizarre.
If you look at OP’s past posts, they had an acceptance to ARCOM in 2020 but turned it down. And the 504 is their 3rd MCAT score. OP you could have just finished your 1st year of med school if you weren’t so hung up on MD vs DO. In the end, it doesn’t make a difference. The most you’ll see the stigma is right now as a premed. And now that you’re reapplying again to DO, you may have to explain why you turned down a DO acceptance in the past which it doesn’t seem like you’ll have a good answer to. Best of luck to you. And think hard about what someone said earlier, do you want to be an MD or a physician?

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
If you look at OP’s past posts, they had an acceptance to ARCOM in 2020 but turned it down. And the 504 is their 3rd MCAT score. OP you could have just finished your 1st year of med school if you weren’t so hung up on MD vs DO. In the end, it doesn’t make a difference. The most you’ll see the stigma is right now as a premed. And now that you’re reapplying again to DO, you may have to explain why you turned down a DO acceptance in the past which it doesn’t seem like you’ll have a good answer to. Best of luck to you. And think hard about what someone said earlier, do you want to be an MD or a physician?
It sucks to suck but I think OP has been reading those SDNs outliers where they gave up the DO acceptances, did some reinventing, and got into MD. If the 504 is their 3rd attempt, they are gonna need to get a HUGE jump in MCAT to get any attention now. You should've taken that DO acceptance and run! OP's just digging a deeper hole each year they're dreaming about MD.... Good Luck, my friend!

With all due respect, if you have taken the MCAT 3x and your highest score is a 504, you should be thankful for a DO acceptance and appreciate the opportunity to become a doctor. The fact you applied to DO, got accepted, and turned it down despite having a low MCAT score shows very poor judgment.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I will rektake MCAT again and get accepted to MD this cycle. I am not worried at all.

Please for your own sake apply DO also. No one cares about MD/DO. Every year you waste time and money chasing an MD when a DO would bring you the same opportunities.

Please for your own sake apply DO also. No one cares about MD/DO. Every year you waste time and money chasing an MD when a DO would bring you the same opportunities.
I think that the OP has clearly shown that they don't want to be a DO, which is a good thing.

People like the OP who have attended my school just turn into students who make life miserable for the DO faculty and end up as self hating DOs.

So, OP, give up the II at TCOM and let someone who really wants to be a doctor now achieve their dream

I think the best thing to do for OP is shadow a DO. Shadowing letters aren’t usually glowing in their recommendations but they’ll check the box for DO schools. Shadowing a DO will also show the OP that DOs are physicians and not the boogeymen OP thinks them to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.