Possible doing research in one focused field will hurt me later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gregoryhouse

Head of the Department of Diagnostic Medicine
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a silly question but it is one I have been pondering. I currently have one finished project that is ophtho related, and there are two smaller projects branching off of it that I'm hoping will be published as well. So best case scenario I will end up with three pubs in ophtho related research. I am also in the works of potentially working on a long-term clinical project working with ophthalmologists directly. Right now I am gunning for ophtho because I know it is such a competitive specialty and I do genuinely like working with eyes (at least based on my previous research work). However, I also strongly am interested in ENT. I'm only a first year so I know I have plenty of time to decide between the two specialties but I've been wondering if I decide to go ENT if they will see all this ophtho research and question my commitment to their field.

Does what field you do research in matter?
Would it be enough to write a case report or some short project in 3rd year if I decide to switch to ENT?

Has anyone dealt with a similar scenario?

Any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

All research helps, although it helps even more if it's in the field you're going into.

Med students change their minds all the time, and many people have pubs from UG. Point is, having research in another field isn't going to kill your application, but you should have a good story why you change your mind.

If you're interested in ENT, email the PD or department head at your school and start shadowing. The only way you're going to figure out if you like it more than ophtho is by experiencing it first-hand.

Good advice thank you. I will look into doing some ENT shadowing this summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does what field you do research in matter? Yes, if you're thinking about applying to that field.
Would it be enough to write a case report or some short project in 3rd year if I decide to switch to ENT? No, 1 ENT case report by the time you apply will probably not make your application.

Doing Ophtho research is not going to HURT your application to ENT (if you end up applying to ENT). It won't help nearly as much as ENT research would, however.